OK, I got a little banged up shooting heavy loads in my shotgun, but....

This is a discussion on OK, I got a little banged up shooting heavy loads in my shotgun, but.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I described in another thread that after shooting a number of heavy loads in my shotguns, and shooting a lot with my compound bow, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: OK, I got a little banged up shooting heavy loads in my shotgun, but....

Senior Moderator

I described in another thread that after shooting a number of heavy loads in my shotguns, and shooting a lot with my compound bow, I had some physical issues.

Well, you'll probably question my mental state for this, but I did it all again. Aside from loving to shoot shotguns, it looks like a hog hunt is pretty much a go. A date has been finalized, the players are in place, and I want to make the most of the opportunity, so I'm taking several firearms to try on the feral pigs, one being a shotgun.

No doubt shotguns are limited range guns even with slugs. There are four issues with rifled shotgun slugs, one they are not as accurate as a rifle at any range. Two, slugs have an awful coefficient of drag which causes them to lose velocity rapidly, and hence energy. Three, because of the slow initial velocity (compared to a rifle round) the slug trajectory looks somewhat like a rainbow, hence holdover, etc. becomes pretty critical as range varies, and fourth they do have a bit of recoil.

In light of that, there are some things that can help level the playing field a bit - higher velocity with lighter slugs. That brings us to why I'm shooting some of these higher power loads - higher muzzle velocity, flatter trajectory, and still plenty of down range energy.

I've been testing several slug loads:

1- Royal Star 2-3/4", 1-1/8 oz @ 1410 fps

2- Remington Slugger 2-3/4", 1 oz @ 1560 fps

3- Federal 2-3/4", 1 oz @ 1610 fps

4- Winchester 2-3/4", 1-1/8 oz @ 1625 fps

5- Federal Magnum 2-3/4", 1-1/4 oz @ 1520 fps

6- Winchester 3", 1 oz @ 1760 fps

7- Remington 3", 1 oz @ 1760 fps

Number 4, 6, & 7 have become my prime candidates. But I shot 5 each (35 rounds total) of these in the order listed above. This very list is what I shot followed by some compound bow shooting, that caused some issues with my neck, shoulder, etc. And Saturday, I shot it all again, this time in one of the lightest shotguns on the market - a Benelli M2 Tactical. I had a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight on the receiver rail and it was dialed in.

I was at the range by 9:15 Saturday morning and started shooting in the order listed above. I shot everything off hand at 23 yards - limit of the indoor range (the outdoor range is just to crowded on weekends and you have to keep asking for a cold range to change targets etc.).

The best accuracy came from the Remington 1 oz @ 1760 fps. Four shots were touching, actually overlapping, and the fifth was about an inch from the group - undoutedly a faulty round, right?

I don't have the pic with me, but I'll post it this evening or tomorrow.

I had a quick bite and by 1:00 pm, I was helping a colleague remove a huge broken limb from a huge oak tree - that's me on the right side of the trunk just past the two lower big limbs. I love to climb trees!

Then we went to my secretary's house and cut down a dead tree for her ( a small one).

Then Sunday, it was just too beautiful not to shoot my bow, so I did that; I have 10 arrows and shot them twice for 20 total.

The odd thing is, other than some expected soreness from stretching and straining 60 feet up in a tree, I had no ill effects from the shotgunning or bow shooting.

I'm wondering if my initial problem was due to shooting a couple or so of rounds with the gun improperly mounted or something. And, I'm sure shooting my bow about 60 times was a heavy contributor too.

So, I'm very encouraged that I can shoot some heavy loads in my shotgun without creating problems. Either that or I have to do a 60 foot climb up a tree afterwards .
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Ever thought about using a recoil reducing stock or at least a Limbsaver buttpad???

I've had good results with both.

Good luck on your hog hunt... I've always wanted to do that.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Oh, and slightly off-topic, but thanx for the Speaking of a shotgun for HD and Hunting, here's an interesting discovery! thread...

It was very informative.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Ever thought about using a recoil reducing stock or at least a Limbsaver buttpad???
    Recoil reducing stocks are hard to find for Benelli's especially the M2. There's an interesting recoil absorbing stock in the the works by a company called Raven, but it's not available yet.

I have Limbsavers on both my Benelli M4 and M2. It is pretty effective. The Limbsaver isn't designed quite right for the M2. It fits fine but it moves around because it's just a flat piece of plastic on the back of the Limbsaver pad, rubbing against the end edges of a hollow synthetic stock. The only thing that holds the pad in place is a small 'adaptor' plate, and the pad moves around quite a bit.

So I took my Limbsaver off, rigged up a jig on my table router and machined a recess to fit inside the hollow stock, and the pad hasn't moved since!

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    ...Good luck on your hog hunt... I've always wanted to do that.
    Hey thanks! This will be my first; I hope we find some pigs!

Ever thought about not being a girl?? Having spoken to you on the phone, I'm confused?

:D
    gallardo.g23 likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Ever thought about not being a girl?? Having spoken to you on the phone, I'm confused?

:D
    Us girls have feelings too you know.

You know I'm joking, right?!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    You know I'm joking, right?!
    OK, Jon, you got me - I'm embarrassed now

I kinda 'read' into that - my bad all the way and my apologies for not realizing the humor.

I'm changing my response.

I still owe you one for that!!!

BTW - got a pm question headed your way.
    jonconsiglio likes this.

It would be interesting to know the terrain you will be hunting in. If it's anything like what I've been hog hunting in out here, your 23 yard range limit at the indoor range shouldn't hurt a thing and is probably just right for practice with slugs. Most of my hunts during the encounter have been pretty much up close and personal and I can only remember getting one that was beyond that yardage. And don't forget your sidearm.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Administrator

Question

"I'm changing my response."

I want to know what you typed before you changed it.

I'm looking at that photo that you have posted up there.

You think a rifled slug would be accurate enough to knock that orangutan out of that tall tree?

It looks like it is pretty high up there in that tree.

I didn't even know that they were native to Tennessee.

Is it possible that it escaped from a circus...or a local zoo?

I have some FEDERAL 1 OZ slugs.
    They perform really well in my Ithaca & are pretty easy shooting.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "I'm changing my response."

I want to know what you typed before you changed it.

He showed his feminine side even more clearly! Ba-dum, ching!
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    OK, Jon, you got me - I'm embarrassed now

I kinda 'read' into that - my bad all the way and my apologies for not realizing the humor.

I'm changing my response.

I still owe you one for that!!!

BTW - got a pm question headed your way.
    If you look below the text, you'll see a smiley. On the rare occassion I use one of those (whether typed or from the list), you should consider my post light hearted.

;) see!

Administrator
    An Off Topic FYI.

In case some members are not aware of the fact Tangle does some incredible tree climbing.

The Mods have likely seen more photos privately than have been publicly posted but, he certainly has conquered some massively high trees.

He also gave me some great survival rope selection advice. Thanks again for that Tangle. Good lookin' out.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I want to be like Tangle when I grow up.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    It would be interesting to know the terrain you will be hunting in. If it's anything like what I've been hog hunting in out here, your 23 yard range limit at the indoor range shouldn't hurt a thing and is probably just right for practice with slugs. Most of my hunts during the encounter have been pretty much up close and personal and I can only remember getting one that was beyond that yardage. And don't forget your sidearm.
    Actually you're probably right on the money. In fact, in one conversation, my cousin indicated we may be pretty close. They've been using the timed feeder method, but while my cousin's neighbor has shot 5 or 6, my cousin has yet to even see one.

I'm really just trying to see how far a rifled slug can be effective. I'm not sure I'll even get that opportunity, but I should be ready if I get a longer shot.

As far as a sidearm, that crazy jonconsiglio has got me believing a 9mm will take a pig. So I'll probably take my G34 with a X300 attached and a Burris Fastfire III on the slide. That's kinda like cheating isn't it. Oh, it all fits in a Raven Concealment holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links