.300 AAC Blackout

.300 AAC Blackout

This is a discussion on .300 AAC Blackout within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I'm in love with this round. Is it just me or what?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout

Sponsor

Question .300 AAC Blackout

I think I'm in love with this round. Is it just me or what?

"...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Senior Moderator
    The 300 Blackout does look good. It's a bit better ballistically than the AK round. I really don't expect it to replace the 5.56 all across the board but it certain fills a need. The 5.56 will shoot a lot flatter if that's of interest, but the 5.56 likely won't retain energy as well at longer ranges as the 300.

It's the momentum of the 300 that makes it so interesting, at least to me. I think most people look to bullet energy as the telling feature, and certainly it is part of the picture, but momentum due to heavier bullet mass probably plays a larger role.

For example, with a given muzzle energy, a lighter bullet will leave the muzzle faster than a heavier bullet, but the heavier bullet will almost always have more momentum. The momentum of the bullet is what generates recoil and it has more impact on penetration, i.e. the more momentum, the harder it is to stop the bullet.

One loading for the 300 Blackout is 125 gns @ 2215 fps. Comparing that to a 62 gn 5.56 @ 3100 fps, the 300 BO would theoretically produce 44% more recoil than the 5.56 62 gn bullet for whatever significance that might be. Forty four percent more recoil than a 5.56 is still pretty low recoil.

If I could just find a barrel and some ammo....
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

It all looked real good on paper to me too, until I took my Blackout out in the field and shot a few hogs with it. As far as I'm concerned, the 6.8 SPC does a way better job at killing hogs in an AR platform. Of course, Blackout makes sense if you're using a suppressor.

Senior Moderator
    The Blackout shines when it is suppressed...its the best thing going.

Otherwise, there are better rounds. The appeal of it diminishes when used in the unsupressed mode, its just a mediocre cartridge. Suppressed is a different story.
    zacii likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    It all looked real good on paper to me too, until I took my Blackout out in the field and shot a few hogs with it. As far as I'm concerned, the 6.8 SPC does a way better job at killing hogs in an AR platform. Of course, Blackout makes sense if you're using a suppressor.
    I have both. Within 200 yards I see no difference. Using 110gr Black Tip TSX it has a decent advantage over 5.56 and very similar to 6.8. I've killed we'll over 100 hogs just this past 18 months and most with 5.56. 300 is better. Just to be clear, I haven't taken any hogs with my new 300 yet, though I've seen them taken with 300. But I will soon as I have Black Tip, Pink Tip, M80 and 200 and 220 subs ready to go.

If using short rifles, 300 is great as there is not much velocity loss. Subsonic means nothing to me even when I eventually suppress. But, short barrels and supersonic do, as mine may be used as a work rifle. Having a 9" rifle that fires 110gr TSX at 2175fps with little more recoil than my 10.5" 5.56 with 50gr TSX and considerably less recoil and blast than my 8" 6.8 while still using the same mags and bolts is a huge advantage.

Being able to train all day or even in the shoot house with low light (less blast and concussion) with a $9.90 box of 300 blackout (compared to $17 for 6.8) and considerably less muzzle blast over 5.56 and 6.8 is great.

If I wanted strictly a hunting rifle I'd have kept my SCAR H or my 16" 6.8. There's a significant advantage with 6.8 when using 16" barrels and shooting in excess of 300 yards. Aside from that, the difference becomes smaller and smaller the shorter you go. 9" vs 9", 110gr TSX travels at very similar speeds with similar trajectory.

Short 300 blackout rifles are currently in use with a couple tip of the spear teams as well as being tested by the FBI for the past two years and we are likely to see it adopted by one of their tactical teams. From my understanding, one of the teams using the 300 was using the 6.8 but stopped using it due to blast and recoil management.

Theres no question that an AK47 in 7.62x39 inflicts serious damage even with surplus ammo. A 9" Blackout has similar ballistics and trajectory. Load it with a proven load like TSX that will run reliably in an AR (no difference in ergonomics), make it very short and capable of reliably punching though auto glass and doors, and you have the potential of a serious fighting rifle for close quarters yet still very capable of making shots at extreme ranges as LNG as you know your holds. No need to even move the dot for a combat effective hit from muzzle to 250 yards.

When people mention that 5.56 is flatter shooting once you pass 200 yards (at 300 yards with a 100 yard zero, 70gr 5.56 TSX from a 14.5" drops about 12" while 110gr 300 Blackout TSX drops about 20"), I always ask how often they take shots past 250 yards or so (LE it's almost never) when they're not at a known distance range and not shooting at a stationary target. Most don't.

The farthest I've ever dropped an animal was just a bit over 200. It was with a 16" 5.56 shooting 70gr TSX. It was a 250 pound hog, give or take a few pounds. He made it about 50 yards and dropped dead.

I think the blackout actually shines with supersonic ammo whether suppressed or not when using a short barrel at distances within 300 yards. If I'm using a longer barrel like a 14.5", I actually have no reason to use anything but 5.56. If I did, I'd step up to a 308. If I want short and compact, the 300 is an awesome choice. Like I said though, at 14.5" I have no reason to consider anything but 5.56 or 308. I only like 300 and 6.8 for short barrels. If I can get 14.5" 5.56 performance from 300 in a 9" barrel, I'm more than happy.

Dr Gary Roberts has done extensive testing on 6.8 and is doing more on 300 blackout. He says it makes an ideal defensive rifle and is great for LE use. It's a better choice than 5.56 for short barrels and when facing intermediate barriers, which is common place. He says 6.8 is also a great choice.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; April 11th, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
    DRM and Phaedrus like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

300 Blackout - 110gr VMAX, 125gr Pink Tip, 110gr Black Tip TSX, 6.8spc 90gr contract ammo, 5.56 Black Hills 50gr TSX, 62gr JSp and 75gr TAP

AAC 9" 300 Blackout

8" LWRC PSD 6.8spc - excuse the POS bag. Got two for next to nothing and both fell apart when used only as storage! Airsoft crap.

DRM and bmcgilvray like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

300 Blackout in a 5.56 PMAG, which is convenient. Below that is a range from 110gr to 220gr 300 Blackout. Sorry for the flair in the pics, my son slid the iPhone across the floor and scratched the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    AAC 9" 300 Blackout

- Jon, what mount are you using to hold the light?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I just bought a Daniel Defense DDM4V5 300 Blackout, so I'm very interested in testing it out. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any ammo locally or online.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Gear Sector. That's an E1B body with scout head and tailcap.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Gear Sector. That's an E1B body with scout head and tailcap.
    - Thanks. It looks like a great mount.

Senior Moderator
    Is it just me or what?
    Hmmm...lets see...

One Blackout 16" AR
    One Blackout 9" AR
    One Blackout Rem. 700
    One Blackout T/C Encore
    One Blackout T/C Contender

Nah...it aint just you...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'd like that 300 mini-7 rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Hmmm...lets see...

One Blackout 16" AR
    One Blackout 9" AR
    One Blackout Rem. 700
    One Blackout T/C Encore
    One Blackout T/C Contender

Nah...it aint just you...
    Ever seen a Mini-14 in .300BLK?
    My boss just recently rebarreled a Mini-14 in .300BLK for one of the club members down here. Wish it was mine!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I have one and the only problem,which isnt really a problem is the fact that with some of the substandard magazines,I have had repeated FTF issues.Pop in a Pmag and no FTF. Promag magazines have been the ones that Ive had issues with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links