Metal buttplates for Mossberg 500/590?

This is a discussion on Metal buttplates for Mossberg 500/590? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In addition to shortening the factory stock's lop a smidge, I was thinking a metal buttplate would be useful for striking when the gun inevitably ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 2 Post By Fausty
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Metal buttplates for Mossberg 500/590?

In addition to shortening the factory stock's lop a smidge, I was thinking a metal buttplate would be useful for striking when the gun inevitably runs out of ammo. I'm reasonably handy and might make one, but I'm reasonably lazy too...anyone know of an existing plate that might fit?

EDIT: I'm also impatient, so I just dropped a few bucks on a small plate of .25 steel. As soon as I make and install my kick butt buttplate, I'll post pics. I've got a week off at the end of April, so this is my project :D
    Last edited by cayman_shen; April 13th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.

OK, traced the butt onto a piece of quarter inch steel and had a student cut it out on the school's bandsaw (perks of teaching: full shops). Now to file to final shape and drill the holes :)
    Attached Images

As a collector of military firearms I've shot a LOT of guns with metal buttplates and to be honest I'd rather have a rubber buttplate and enjoy training with it often than have a metal one punishing my shoulder every time I go to the range.

But to each their own. If you forsee a great need for stoving in heads with buttplate strikes and don't mind tearing your shoulder up, go right ahead!

I'm more making it for fun. If it's too painful I can put the rubber pad back on in two minutes. The metal cost all of like nine bucks, and it gives me a project.

If you want a project, how about fitting an axe blade to the underside of the stock? If you run out of ammo spin the gun around and voila! Instant axe!
    atctimmy likes this.

I think your project is more important to you than the functional difference of a "steel" butt-plate. Which is cool, I LIKE projects.
    cayman_shen likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    If you want a project, how about fitting an axe blade to the underside of the stock? If you run out of ammo spin the gun around and voila! Instant axe!
    YES. This is the most ridiculous unnecessary idea I have heard in the past five years. I am doing this now. pics to come.
    Alex_C and atctimmy like this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    ...how about fitting an axe blade to the underside of the stock? If you run out of ammo spin the gun around and voila! Instant axe!
    I thought about this last night. Why not make the .25" steel butt-plate ~.75" longer at the bottom, keeping the same stock profile? Then put a angle (think lawn mower blade) on the extension. What a skull-splittin' pommel.
    atctimmy likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    You people scare me.....and yet somehow this thread is cool.

I have no interest in a steel "recoil dampener" on my shotgun. I do like projects though, I once built a Mauser just for fun.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsored Links