Shotgun for defense and skeet shooting

This is a discussion on Shotgun for defense and skeet shooting within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just joined a local skeet club and would like to learn to shoot skeet, I would like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Shotgun for defense and skeet shooting

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just joined a local skeet club and would like to learn to shoot skeet, I would like to get a single shot gun that I could use for Skeet and home protection. Is this dumb or reasonable? I was going to get a semi automatic or pump action for home defense, now I want to try skeet as well and am wondering if semi-auto's or pumps are okay for skeet, or should I just be going for a double barrel? Having never shot skeet before, I have absolutely no idea so I wanted to ask for inputs. As I don't know if I will like skeet shooting or not, I would like to keep the initial investment down, so was also wondering if a few people could recommend reasonable shot guns for skeet that won't break the bank account?? I am okay buying new or second hand, but have no idea what kind of shot gun I should be looking for? Would I need a choke? As mentioned, I have joined my local club (Seattle Skeet & Trap) so I will be trying to find a few people there that will start to explain the techniques and weapons, but any suggestions here would be very welcome. My wife and 2 daughters (13 & 15) have also joined with me so I will also need to look at getting a shotgun or two for them, so again, any recommendations would be very welcome.

Regards Gary

I bought one for the same reasons last Fall. I bought a Mossberg Maverick 88 with the 28" vented barrel, and then bought a 18.5" barrel that I keep on it when I'm not out shooting clay. Works great for me.
    latentcarry likes this.

I have a vintage Kreigoff I'll sell you for the cheap price of 35k :)
    I don't shoot skeet.

But my grandfather did, and he was a championship shooter, and my mother and grandmother both won the Ky state championship for woman several times in the late sixths and 70's.

So here's what I can tell you from growing up around it.
    If you get into it, you will want to shoot in all the classes.
    410, 28, 20,and 12 gauge classes.
    Pumps are OK, but doubles work best when swinging from a " high house to low house bird".

Auto loaders are also very desirable, but balance is king. You will want a gun that swings thru the bird.

You will also want a "skeet bore", which is a little more open than an improved cylinder.
    Now, things may have changed since I was a kid growing up and dragged all over the country from match to match, but this is what I remember.
    And I'd still love to sell this expensive gun that I have no use for.
    RETSUPT99 and Wreckr like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Pump or semi-auto will work equally well for both skeet and self defense. My own preference would be a pump for its simplicity and ability to handle any load. My personal preference is the Remington 870 with a 22” barrel for skeet and hunting plus an 18” cylinder barrel for home defense. Another good choice would be the Mossberg 500 for the same reasons.
    Last edited by gasmitty; April 14th, 2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: changed Win to Rem
    Wreckr likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Any shotgun that can fire two rounds without reloading will be fine for skeet. On the skeet range, in general the folks who are tops at the game are usually shooting over-under double guns, which are generally a lot more expensive than your pump guns and automatics. While you won't be grossly handicapped with a pump gun, an automatic is definitely an advantage in skeet because you're not changing hand positions to reload the gun, and the gas operation dampens recoil a bit.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest an automatic. A Remington 1100 is a classic autoloader, pretty darned reliable, if in the rare event it should fail, nearly any gunsmith can fix 'em. As finances allow, get a second, shorter barrel (about 18") for the home defense role.
    msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have a vintage Kreigoff I'll sell you for the cheap price of 35k :)
    I don't shoot skeet.
    Having seen and handled a few Kreigoffs at gun shows I must admit they are the epitome of the gun maker’s art. I doubt I will ever be able to afford one I would love to have a Kreigoff drilling preferably in 12Ga/7 MM Mauser, that should handle anything on the North American continent.
    glockman10mm and latentcarry like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Before buying I recommend you rent some of their guns to try them out. Most folks prefer a semi-auto or over & under for skeet. I personally prefer the semi-auto but there are a lot of pros out there that shoot the O/U. As for choke, cylinder or improved cylinder is common to get the shot spread wide for a better chance at a hit. Most prefer #9 or #8 shot. So basically the most common skeet gun will be a 12 gauge gas-operated semi-auto with a 2-3/4" chamber shooting #9 shot. I've got a Browning Twentyweight 12 gauge, it's a two-shot skeet gun that I inherited about 30 years ago - it was made in the 60's, I think. It's not gas operated so it does kick a little more, but it's a nice gun.

If I could buy a new shotgun today it would be a Beretta A400 Xplor Light 12GA, 3", 28" barrel. I prefer the Light because, well, it's lighter, and doesn't have the slightly longer receiver that the 3.5" chambered guns have. Besides, I can't see myself shooting 3.5" shells. Skeet will be 2-3/4", heavy birds will be 3". Another good gun is the Browning Maxus Sporting line. These are both $1,500-$1,700 shotguns but very nice ones indeed. Not sure about the home defense barrel lengths but you can always buy an extra and saw it off to 18.5". :)

If you want interchangeable barrels, such as 28" for skeet and 18.5" for home defense, most of those options are going to be in pump shotguns like the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. It can be hard to get the 2nd shot off when shooting doubles in skeet with a pump, but many do it.

EDIT: as posted above, the Remington 1100 is a great semi-auto, and I'm sure you can find a short HD barrel for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Having seen and handled a few Kreigoffs at gun shows I must admit they are the epitome of the gun maker’s art. I doubt I will ever be able to afford one I would love to have a Kreigoff drilling preferably in 12Ga/7 MM Mauser, that should handle anything on the North American continent.
    Well, I inherited this one along with some Charles Daley doubles, 1100's, and a couple of Spanish straight stocked doubles in 410 and 28 gauge.

Most are set up for skeet, and one of the 1100's has the stock cut and fitted and barrel shortened with a poly choke on it.
    I just keep them around, as I have no use for them except the little Spanish doubles that are light and great bird guns. They have selective triggers and improved/modified barrels.

Too bad John Deere don't take shotguns for trade:)
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I also want a shotgun for clays. I have a pistol for home defense. I want something under $600. I went clay shooting recently for the first time and had a blast!!! I used my cousins Remington 870 with a 28" barrel. It also had a tight pattern choke on it(he hunts birds). It jammed a couple of times in between shots though, causing missing the second clay
    NRA member
    2 pistols, 3 calibers.

Many thanks guys. I am going to print all this off and have another read so it all sinks in. Will also see what guns the club has for rent so I can try some before I buy one.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckr View Post
    I also want a shotgun for clays. I have a pistol for home defense. I want something under $600. I went clay shooting recently for the first time and had a blast!!! I used my cousins Remington 870 with a 28" barrel. It also had a tight pattern choke on it(he hunts birds). It jammed a couple of times in between shots though, causing missing the second clay
    About the only reason an 870 jams is if the action is short-stroked, unless there's a broken part in the feed mechanism.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    When my 18" 870 was my only shotgun, it did double duty for HD and hunting. I shot skeet just to tune up for grouse season, not competitively. It did fine for skeet and hunting. Second shots are, of course, at a disadvantage with a pump. Now that I have an over-under, I've installed an extended 7round mag on the 870 to dedicate it to HD.

As far as miss feeds, I've noticed that if I drop a shell in the chamber, then top off the magazine, it tends to double feed the next shell. If I load a shell in the mag, then chamber the round from the mag, and then top off the mag, I get 100% reliable cycling.

Semi autos- this would be my choice- Autoloading VERSA MAX®
    Or if your budget is higher:http://tablet.benelliusa.com/firearms/vinci/index.php
    Or for dedicated HD that may get you some looks on the skeet range: http://tablet.benelliusa.com/firearm...ical/index.php

The Remington 870 is my do-all shotgun. I use it to hunt dove and pheasant, shoot skeet and for general home defense.

My 870 hates the Estate brand target shot. It eats absolutely everything else I have ever tried in it. A hunting buddy of mine has the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    About the only reason an 870 jams is if the action is short-stroked, unless there's a broken part in the feed mechanism.
    My cousin said it only happens to him with that particular ammo. Do you think that's the case or a broken part inside? I had to rack it a few hard times to eject it. With no short strokes.
    NRA member
    2 pistols, 3 calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilinswordsman View Post
    The Remington 870 is my do-all shotgun. I use it to hunt dove and pheasant, shoot skeet and for general home defense.

My 870 hates the Estate brand target shot. It eats absolutely everything else I have ever tried in it. A hunting buddy of mine has the same problem.
    That's the same ammo that is jamming on us too. I will try what nmuskier said about load the tube and not the chamber. Good advise thanks
    NRA member
    2 pistols, 3 calibers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links