80% Lower Questions

80% Lower Questions

This is a discussion on 80% Lower Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Through Instagram networking, I came across somebody selling 80% lowers for $65 each. First question, is this a decent price? Second and the real heart ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By varob
  • 1 Post By beni

Thread: 80% Lower Questions

80% Lower Questions

Through Instagram networking, I came across somebody selling 80% lowers for $65 each. First question, is this a decent price?

Second and the real heart of the issue.. I'm completely new to "building" anything firearm related. Exactly what must be done to/with this lower? What tools would be needed? If I understand things correctly, I couldn't even have somebody (or pay them to) help me with any aspect of this unless they're licensed for mfg'ing weapons.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    From the few I've seen done, they were drilled out using a drill press with the help from a jig you need to buy, and it showed. (Not pretty at all) but they functioned. These will come with no S/N and considered a home built gun, which I believe can never be sold and is only for your use only. Prices on these have also creeped up as everything else. I used to see these around the $40.00 mark. IMO If you plan on doing a few, it's not worth it, considering the cost of the lower and the jig outweighs the cost of a stripped lower in even todays inflated prices.

I have heard of groups of people having CNC machining "parties" where guys with 80% lowers will get together and rent out a CNC machine. All of the dimensions needed to complete the lowers are put in the machine and the owner of the lower just needs to press the button to start the machine for it to be considered home built by the person.

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    From the few I've seen done, they were drilled out using a drill press with the help from a jig you need to buy, and it showed. (Not pretty at all) but they functioned. These will come with no S/N and considered a home built gun, which I believe can never be sold and is only for your use only. Prices on these have also creeped up as everything else. I used to see these around the $40.00 mark. IMO If you plan on doing a few, it's not worth it, considering the cost of the lower and the jig outweighs the cost of a stripped lower in even todays inflated prices.
    I'd just be making one for my use only. I can deal with a little an ugly duckling if it functions well. :) Thanks though I'll look into that.
    sid1 likes this.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    I have heard of groups of people having CNC machining "parties" where guys with 80% lowers will get together and rent out a CNC machine. All of the dimensions needed to complete the lowers are put in the machine and the owner of the lower just needs to press the button to start the machine for it to be considered home built by the person.
    Hmm... never heard of such a thing but I'll look around my area and see if I can find something like this going on.

This isn't a job for beginners. Spend an extra $30 and get a completely finished lower.

Go ahead and order a parts kit, and wait for it to come in.
    HotGuns likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    This isn't a job for beginners. Spend an extra $30 and get a completely finished lower.

I believe the whole point for those lowers is to have a legal firearm that has never been registered or had a serial number associated with an NICS background check form. Or at least that is the main appeal to alot of the people that are buying them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    blitzburgh likes this.

I believe the whole point for those lowers is to have a legal firearm that has never been registered or had a serial number associated with an NICS background check form. Or at least that is the main appeal to alot of the people that are buying them.

Oh, I know. The OP just said in his first post that he wanted to do a build, that's why I posted what I did.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Do want a lower, or a lower with no serial number? If the answer is the former, get one from PSA. Blems are in stock right now, otherwise they come in stock about once a moth since they do not take backorders. If you the answer is the latter, that is a good deal provided you are confident that you are getting a reputable brand.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...receivers.html
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post

From what I've read, you're probably right but I enjoy challenging myself. I gotta start somewhere, right?

Indeed. I could easily just go out an buy another AR, but I'd like to challenge myself and have fun doing it myself.

Senior Moderator
    It is a challenge and there is nothing easy about it.

To get an idea of the equipment needed to do it properly, look here.

Index of /ar15

Its time consuming and if you dont have a background in machining, you wont understand a lot of stuff.

I've done it. Mine came out great, but I have a full sized milled with a digital readout.

edited to add:

this is for a zero lower. I just noticed that you intend to do an 80% lower. Carry on.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sometimes you think you are saving a few bucks in the end it gets costly and disappointing.
    This often happens with weapons and motorcycles. I do have a bit of experience.I would let this deal go if it was my cash.

Links