Understated defensive rifle: suggestions? - Page 3

Understated defensive rifle: suggestions?

This is a discussion on Understated defensive rifle: suggestions? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Based on your criteria, an M-1 Carbine would seem to be a good fit. Loaded with non-ball ammo, it will function as both a self ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Understated defensive rifle: suggestions?

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Based on your criteria, an M-1 Carbine would seem to be a good fit. Loaded with non-ball ammo, it will function as both a self defense weapon and take small to moderate sized game out to about 100 yards.

Auto Ordinance is now producing new production M1 carbines, that will be retailing for around 700.
    Fear No Evil.

My house gun and main hunting rifle for the last 44 years has been a Winchester 30-30 lever action. As to not being a good battle rifle the Sioux had numerous lever actions of various calibers when they stopped the attack by Custer. In the Civil War one of the most desired rifles was the Henry lever action 44. The model '92 Winchester in 44-40 (40WCF) was a very popular rifle used in the 'Wild West' for hunting and protection.

Senior Moderator
    I also believe you are describing an M-1 carbine. It has more punch than a 357mag at 100 yards and 110 HP should be avaible from the big bullet manufacters.

I'd have to put my vote for the marlin 30-30 as well. Had it in my gun rack for years at the hunting club as a back up. Great multi purpose gun and reliable.
    Also im surprised no one has mentioned a sks. Very cheap, medium power caliber, wood furniture and a ten round mag doesn't look that menacing. Pretty reliable and semi auto. $200 for a good one...300 for a great one.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Senior Moderator
    If you happen to reload...

You might think about the .444 Marlin.

For light loads that wont stomp you, you could easily load to .44 magnum standards. You can use any 44 bullet made or even cast lead for it.

It looks no different than any other lever action, yet offers power that is comparable to the .45- 70.

You can kill anything in North America with it, and with the lighter loads you would'nt turn stuff inside out when you shot it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I appreciate the comments. Trying to meet the goals in a single short rifle is challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ... the .444 Marlin ... You can kill anything in North America with it ...
    That's exactly the problem. Definitely, I do not want to do that. The goal is a defensive rifle with occasional light hunting on the side. I don't reload. It would be factory box ammo from a reputable mfr.

So, the bullets cannot maintain killing force when traveling through my home's walls and into the walls of the home 100yds away (if missing an intruder). The bullets cannot carry 500 yds to harm someone on the far edge of a field, in the country. I'm purposely trying to keep the power down. It's got to be manageable, smaller in size, effective out to 100yds, handle smaller game occasionally (ie, small mountain lion, smaller bear at closer ranges, small dear, varmints). Basically, "field" protection would be to withstand attack from occasionally crossing paths with an animal in a sour mood, or to stop the pain of a range animal.

We'll see. A 16" rifle in .44M or .357M seems about right, with a possibility of a .30-30. Nicely, each of these lower-power rounds seems sufficient to handle the smaller end of game animals out to 100yds, but none will be over-powered for this need. Time to go "hunting" for one.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    Ok,ok,.....howz 'bout this. >>
    lever action--
    completely stainless steel--
    16" bbl.--
    loads from the end of the mag tube(like the old style .22's)--
    top eject--
    green rear,red front fiber optic sights(ajustable)--
    wt.6.00 lbs--
    OAL 34.5"--
    Rds. 8--
    Chambering .454 Casull or .45LC(probably9 rds but never could bring myself to shoot the wimpy stuff)--
    Manufacturer Legacy Sports/Puma

I've had one of these weapons for 3 years now. It is used for very close range,very mad,very large hogs. I have had NOTHING stop a 360gr., CBP, hardcast yet. Brass is cheap(Starline). Any bullet in .452" will do as long as it is tough enough for these velocities.Several different factory loads are available also.

Take a look. -------

+1 on the Puma .454

Luv mine.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

FYI -- For anyone interested in a Winchester 92 Trapper in .44 magnum (16" bbl), there is a used one in 95-98% condition for a $395 tag price at:
    Keith's Sporting Goods
    1595 E. Powell Blvd
    Gresham, OR
    ph (503) 492-6999
    Just saw it today (11/24/06). They picked it up last weekend and it probably won't last long.

Now, if you hear of a Marlin 1894P for that price, let me know.

Well, might not be what you're thinking of....but this year I purchased a Remington Milspec 5R rifle. Heavy stainless barreled....20 inch... .308 bolt action rifle. This thing is a real shooter right out of the box. Of course most of the heavy barreled Savages would be an excellent choice...as long as they have the Accutrigger.

Good Luck,

Wayne

In my opinion you should have bought the winchester when you saw it just because.

I just purchased a Marlin 1894, 44 Mag (blued NIB) for $334.99 at Big 5 in Monroe Washington.

Since the value of Winchester rifles Has now doubled I decided to get a Rifle that was small, light and powerfull enough to kill a bear.
    One of the advantages of the 44Mag caliber is the variety of different weight bullets available. On top of that You can shoot 44 special ammo in it at smaller game if need be. This also allows you to load 44 special amm for in the house defence situation.

The Marlin 1894 in 30-30 caliber was a lot heavier then the 44 Mag.
    The Marlin in 44Mag has a reciever about the size of a Model 92 winchester and the Marlin 1894 30-30 is the size of a model 94 Winchester.

I also purchased this last week a Winchester model'92 in 25-20 caliber, to fill in a hole in my collection. The rifle had been reblued so I was able to get it for $500. If it hadn't been redone it would have run me at least $1500. It was in really good Mechanical condion otherwise.

Another thing about the Marlin 1894, they inclosed a card giving you $10.00 off membership fees to the NRA.
    Also a plus to the Marlin is it is already tapped for a scope mount.
    Also a thing of note, the directions tell you how to remove the bolt for cleaning from the chamber, and recomend you do so.
    The marlin also had enclosed a card for a 5 year warenty.
    My Marlin already has pegs for attaching a sling.

I bought a 16" Winchester Trapper for my daughter, chambered in .357 when she was 3 months old, (nothing like thinking ahead you know) and I like it so much that I want to keep it for myself.

Awesome gun for all of the prupoes you mentioned.

IMHO every American should own a lever action rifle. It's just un-American not too.

I also think the marlin is a better design than a winchester, but they are both good. I have a Marlin 30-30 myself that I traded a winchester for. Since winchester's are no longer available, the Marlin would be the best choice for a lever gun.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

taurus makes a nice pump action in .45 long colt,

FYI -- Just purchased a brand new Marlin 1894P, in .44 mag with 16" ported bbl. $400, plus shipping. Am arranging the delivery details now. Should have it by end of next week.

Thanks for everyone's comments and helpful suggestions. Much appreciated!

- Michael
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 25th, 2006 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added details

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links