Understated defensive rifle: suggestions?

This is a discussion on Understated defensive rifle: suggestions? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yo, rifle gurus ... Am looking for a basic rifle, a single rifle, for defensive uses when out in the country, for occasional light hunting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Understated defensive rifle: suggestions?

Yo, rifle gurus ... Am looking for a basic rifle, a single rifle, for defensive uses when out in the country, for occasional light hunting (small game) at shorter ranges (< 250 yds), and for the home. Must be dead solid reliable, relatively simple to maintain, tolerant of various brands of ammo. By "understated" I mean non-AR, non-AK in appearance ... rather, something that wouldn't be out of place on a simple gun rack in the cab. Prefer auto-loading, but could accommodate bolt action if required.

I like the idea of a "ranch" rifle or carbine, but am open to alternatives. I'd consider up to a .30-06 or 7.62x39mm, and definitely prefer larger than .223. Prefer rifled ammo, though I would consider 9mm or .40 (ie the Ruger carbines). Understood on certain ammo availability, right now; forget that as an issue.

Am competent with smaller rifles, shotguns for skeet. Has been awhile since I've owned a small- to midsize rifle.

Suggestions on possible choices (make/model)?
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 10th, 2006 at 11:01 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

To fit most of what ya want easy to maintain and dead reliable a bolt gun like the 700 or ruger mark II fits

Could get a ruger scout lot shorter and available in 30-06 smaller and bigger calibers

Ruger Dearfield 44mag. Ruger Mini 30. Ruger Carbines. Marlin levers wouldn't look out of place, nor would any bolt gun.

Administrator
    I'll second '75scout's post
    "Just blame Sixto"

JT
    Saiga. AK based (with AK reliability) but looks more like a normal rifle than an assault rifle style. Especially if you get the wood stock. Available in .223, 7.62x39 and .308.

http://www.raacfirearms.com/rifles.htm

Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

30-30 Lever Action.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    - Edmund Burke

Hi-Point 995 9mm carbine..... $190 Just like a Timex watch.... "takes a licking; and keeps on ticking"... You can find them even cheaper. Lifetime warranty. Just run a cleaning rod down the barrel everyonce in awhile, good enough. I know they arent the best looking piece, but still gives you both a rabbit and a HP gun. They also come in .40S&W.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

If you want a rifle that is dead solid and easy to maintain. I would suggest a bolt action 30.06, .270, or .243. My personal preference would be the 30.06, in my mind you just can't beat it. Most of these have a 5 to 7 round capacity, and are good well out to 250 yds or better depending on the scope or sights your using.

It doesn't get any eaiser to clean or maintain than a bolt action, and they will normally shoot anything you put in them and usually extract just as well.

If you want to shoot out to 250 yds then I don't think you can go with the 9mm, 40, or 44 mag.

Anyway, take it for what it is worth.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Member Array Detachment_Charlie's Avatar

Lightbulb

I agree with JT...get a Saiga. Kalishni-reliable, wood furniture doesn't scare the soccer moms. 7.62x39, 5.6 and 308. Mucg "Go Boom" for little bucks. As rugged as a brick. I've got one, but with evil black furniture.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Maybe I can suggest something no one else has...although there have been great answers, and many I agree with.

A good Enfield rifle may fit the bill nicely. even a "Jungle Carbine". The enfield action is one of the fastest bolt actions ever made, and they are reliable, strong, and readily available.

They can still be found for about $200.00-$300.00

The newest production Enfields from Ishapore are chambered in .308, and have generally more capacity than either lever acton rifles in rifle chamberings, and most bolt actions.

Just a low-cost suggestion.
    Fear No Evil.

Lead Moderator
    Many rifles would fit. Scout 75 picked most of the rifles I wopuld suggest. also , consider a M1 carbine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Great suggestions!

• .44 mag Ruger Deerfield auto, 4rd, 18.5" barrel, 37" OAL, 6.3 lbs. Hm. Pistol load in a rifled bore ... out to 125-150 yds maybe, on mid-sized deer or smaller.
    • .44 mag Marlin 1894, lever-action, 10rd, 20" barrel, 38" OAL, 6.5 lbs. Double the rounds of the Ruger DF.
    • .44 mag or .30-30 Winchester 94 Timber, lever-action, 4rd, 18" barrel, 36.5" OAL, 6 lbs light.
    • .30-30 Marlin 336, lever-action, 6rd, 20" barrel, 37.5" OAL, 7.5 lbs.
    • .30-06 Remington 7400 auto, 4rd, 18.5" barrel, 39.5" OAL, 7.5 lbs.
    • 7.62x39 Ruger Mini 30 All-Weather auto, 5rd, 18.5" barrel, 38" OAL, 7.3 lbs.

Hm. If 9mm, .40, .357mag or .44mag, then the rifle could pair up with a pistol in similar chambering, resulting in single ammo in the field. ie, Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44mag paired with a Deerfield .44mag. Interesting.

Questions:

1. The bottleneck design of 7.62x39, 5.56/.223 and others will tend to offer more-reliable cycling as compared to the non-bottlenecked ammo designs, yes? (9mm, .40, .44mag & .30 carbine, versus the .30-06, .30-30, 7.62x39, etc.) Or, does this really depend mostly on the rifle itself (ie, AK action could reliably shoot "rocks" without jamming)?

2. M1 .30 carbine round is a but low on power, with a rep. of not penetrating at distance. Anyone know differently, @ 150-200yds against a small-ish deer? Seems a bit out of place for that purpose, as compared to some of the other mid-sized load options. Large magazines though.

3. The .30 carbine and .30-30 have more of a "rainbow" trajectory by comparison to, say, .30-06 or 7.62x39, yes? Problematic for penetration of small game at 150 yds, or just a bit more challenging?

4. The 9mm and .40, definitely, would have limited distance at which smaller game could be taken. But, inexpensive/available pistol loads. Why consider, if want one gun to take a small deer @ 150 yds? What if 100yds were the maximum for this gun (in 9mm or .40, ie the Ruger carbine)?

5. What about the .45-70? In a more-lightly loaded bullet, it would still have strong knock-down power, at the expense of greater distances. (ie, the Marline 1895G.) It's a straight-necked design. Certainly geared toward larger game, so it's more power than I'd need. Much more expensive loads. It would seem the .44mag chambered rifles above would be more suitable for 70% of .45-70 performance though limited to < 150 yds. Yes?

6. The .44mag chambering seems very interesting. Powerful enough to hunt light game at 100yds. Perhaps limited through brush at distances. In lighter loadings, can be easily managed. Auto, lever choices. Why would this be preferable to, say, the .30-30 or .30-06? (Again, my goals are mostly non-game protection, with occasional small game hunting at relatively close distances.)
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 11th, 2006 at 06:00 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would look for a mauser or a mosin myself , pick up a couple of em for less than $150 and you have a spare or one for parts , spend the rest of that 3 to 600 bucks on cases of milsurp ammo . Buy hunting rounds seperatly over the counter , and now you have a nice little setup for shtf , defense , plinking ( the milsurp ammo ) , and hunting ( over the counter soft points ect. ) for a minimal investment .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You left out the best......a Lever Action. Why did you rule these out ?? -------

Senior Moderator
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links