Decent complete 20" ar15?

This is a discussion on Decent complete 20" ar15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm about to be in the market for another ar15. This time I would like an ar that has a 20" SS barrel free float ...

Thread: Decent complete 20" ar15?

I'm about to be in the market for another ar15. This time I would like an ar that has a 20" SS barrel free float handguard and flat top so that I can mount a scope on it so I do not need a fixed front sight. The only contender I've seen so far is the rra predator pursuit rifle. I've already looked into other companies like noveske and larue tactical but cannot justify spending that much on a rifle that will be mainly used for range work and some coyote/hog hunting. Are there any other ar that I should look into that has what I'm looking for that has a price point of around the same as the rock river? Also if you do have the rock river what's your experience with it? Also I do not want to build one.

With those specifications you will be in the market for a year or so. Not trying to be rude, but unless you build it, you will not get it right now. All the good companies are back-ordered out that far.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Check the offerings by Stag Arms. AR-15's aren't really my thing, but the one I have had was a Stag 3L .223 (lefty configuration, flat top, Weaver rail for mounting scopes/sights, ambi mag release. Very good quality, good short-list of options available at time of purchase/build. Pricing isn't through the roof.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I have a RRA 20" as you speak of just don't have the SS barrel. Mine is great had it for several years no problems. It is bone stock condition. It is used in service rifle "as issued" matches. At some point I will swap out the chrome moly barrel for a SS Krieger. But not until my accuracy drops off on this barrel.service ar 15.jpg With todays situation I would pick up a complete rifle and make changes from there. A year ago I would have told you to get a striped lower and build just what you want.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Palmetto State makes one that pretty much fits your description exactly. When you'll ever see PSA complete rifles for sale is the real question.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I know I won't be able to find anything any time soon. Just trying to see what I should keep an eye out for if one does happen to pop up. Yea I wouldn't mind buying a stripped lower and building it up with say a giessle trigger(spelling) and just buy a complete upper. The question is who makes a complete upper with what I'm looking for? And with the rra pp rifle I would probably only change the stock and upgrade the trigger

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    If you want to make the trip to Columbia, Palmetto State Armory, you can buy "one" per customer, per day for 799.00 plus tax.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

What are you using it for? That's gonna be long and heavy...
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Range and maybe some coyote/hog hunts. I already have a mid length ar15 so want something a little different. And a Daniel defense is on my list already for another 16"

I hear ya
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Higher end AR's are on the wall in some shops now. Shop around.
    Keep your eyes open for an upper with your requirements.
    Your lower don't care what upper you use on it.

OP if you have your mind made up on a long range AR I would recommend you look into calibers other than 5.56. The 16 inch barrels don't really give up much accuracy or velocity to a 20 inch barrel these days. Since you already have a midlength in 5.56(I assume), why not check out the 6.8 spc or 6.5 grendel. It's not like you're gonna save money on ammo going with .223/5.56 right now.

Sponsored Links