Need your opinion

This is a discussion on Need your opinion within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just came across a Savage FCP10 with a McMillan stock for $1399. I have an AK in 7.62x39 but want to get into something ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By atctimmy

Thread: Need your opinion

Need your opinion

I just came across a Savage FCP10 with a McMillan stock for $1399. I have an AK in 7.62x39 but want to get into something effective at 800-1000m. Should I sell my Rock River AR, buy the Savage and keep the AK?

All suggestions welcome! Thanks for your input!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

2. Remove Ads

JMB
    What caliber is the Savage?

If the shop where you saw the rifle has layaway, here is what I would do. I would put down a deposit on the rifle and put it in layaway. Pay it off and take it home. Keep your AR-15 and AK-47, you may need them someday.

7.62x51

I like the layaway idea...
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

from experiance i prefer the 300 winmag for long range, i picked up a tikka T3 for 700 bucks, put a nikon prostaff varible for 350 on it and orderd a new stock from tikka performance (moment of weakness) . its a cannon. and ive found that i can put three rounds on a quarter at 600 yrds. i just need to find a 1200 yrd range to put the round to its paces.

never sell your guns. save your money or put it on layaway.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

VIP Member
    That rifle is big and very heavy. It also has a slow cycling action. There is almost no defensive role that a big, heavy tactical rifle will be the "correct" go to gun.

Tactical rifles are offensive weapons that reach out and touch someone. Are they nice to have? Heck yes. Should you sell an AR 15 to buy a bolt action rifle? Heck no!

Savage had LOTS of less expensive options if you want a good bolt gun in 7.62X51.

Savage 11 TH XP 308 NIKON $482.00 SHIPS FREE
    ^^^^ I just bought one of these in .223 and it is a very good shooter. It's not tacticool but it will let you reach out as far as any other .308.

Another option for WAY less money:

Savage 4 + 1 308 Win. Law Enforcement/24" Heavy Fluted Barre $742.00 SHIPS FREE

This rifle has all the tactical stuff minus the fluff. It doesn't have a fancy painted stock and it doesn't have a 10 round detachable mag. It has all the other goodies. Is a camo stock and a detachable mag worth $650?

Only you can decide if it's worth it but my opinion is you'd be better off keeping your AR and getting one of the two rifles above.
    Hoplyte likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Good thoughts, atctimmy. No shortage of good advice on this thread.

I'm in the don't sell anything camp. It doesn't take much to get into a quality bolt gun and scope combination that is more capable than most shooters themselves. Weatherby vanguard s2 rifles often come out of the box shooting sub moa for $430. Throw a sightron sII scope and talley rings on it and for $800 you have a rifle that will out perform a large number of shooters. I have that setup in $300 win mag, and while is does string vertically under sustained fire, it still maintains more accuracy than I'm capable of maintaining personally at ranges out to 880 yds. I will be hard pressed to ever find a defensive situation that will require firing at that distance.

sent via iCarry

And.......the 7.62 ammo is cheap, thus it fits another role. I also like the keep them all option, add one actimmy recommends.

JMB
    Have you talked to any guys who are into shooting 800-1000m? Ask them about .308 vs .300 WM for those ranges.

VIP Member
    Reality check here: I see you are living in Missouri. In the Buckeye state I can't even find a shooting range longer than 300 yards for practice ( within a reasonable driving distance). I had a super nice DM style AR set up for long range work but had absolutely no place to stretch it's legs. I sold it because my regular AR is plenty accurate out at 300 yds. It had no purpose other than it was pretty and punched little groups at 100 yards.

I suspect that in Missouri you'll have the same problem. If you can't practice frequently at 500+ yards then it doesn't matter what gun you have. Hits just aren't realistic past 350 or so if you can't practice wind doping and drop in the real world.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Great advice! I'm now convinced not to sell the AR. I do have a 600 yd range just outside town near Wright City so that isn't a problem. Hadn't considered 300 Win Mag, which is an awesome round easily good to 1000 m.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Great advice! I'm now convinced not to sell the AR. I do have a 600 yd range just outside town near Wright City so that isn't a problem. Hadn't considered 300 Win Mag, which is an awesome round easily good to 1000 m.
    Check the cost on 300 Win mag before you fall in love with it. $$$$$
    Mark Twain:

Links