Mossberg 500 won't dry fire

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500 won't dry fire within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just unpacked up my new Mossberg 500 Cruiser, my first shotgun, and read through the Owners Manual. Reading through "Functional Testing" on page 13 ...

Thread: Mossberg 500 won't dry fire

Mossberg 500 won't dry fire

I just unpacked up my new Mossberg 500 Cruiser, my first shotgun, and read through the Owners Manual. Reading through "Functional testing" on page 13 leaves me with the impression that I should be able to dry fire this piece. No matter what I do the trigger does not move. This being the weekend, I cannot contact Mossberg or the dealer from whom I purchased so, am I missing something?

2. Remove Ads

Ok, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but do you have the safety on?

*you should move the slider on the top on the receiver so you can see a red dot.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Yea, I get it:-) Seriously, I had exercised the safety back and forth numerous times so that did not appear to be the problem. After I posted, before I put it back in the box to await a reply, I made one more attempt and presto. Maybe the safety was off a hair...The red dot was fully exposed and it seemed like it was all the way forward so I can't explain it but now it works. Thanks.

I haven't had that issue with mine, but I sure would suggest doing it multiple times before I felt confident. Move that safety all over and find its breaking point.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by PJD52 View Post
    Yea, I get it:-) Seriously, I had exercised the safety back and forth numerous times so that did not appear to be the problem. After I posted, before I put it back in the box to await a reply, I made one more attempt and presto. Maybe the safety was off a hair...The red dot was fully exposed and it seemed like it was all the way forward so I can't explain it but now it works. Thanks.
    Welcome to the board. I have a new 500 myself and I have no problem with the safety. I would get it checked out, or if you are like me, detail strip it and find the issue.

IIRC the 500 Cruiser has the dreaded plastic safety tab, if so, you may want to pick up a metal 590 safety slider/ball. They're ~$15, and easy to swap.

I have not read about safety switch issues on the 500. This is a common problem? Mine seems fine.

google: mossberg 500 safety problems

Personally I've never had a problem with mine, but then again I swapped it out a week after I brought it home. I require a firearm to go "bang" on request, EVERY TIME.

Links