Tell Me About the Mossberg Maverick 88

This is a discussion on Tell Me About the Mossberg Maverick 88 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Upon consideration of the advice of note small arms expert, Joe Biden, I'm thinking that getting a shotgun for HD might now be a bad ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Tell Me About the Mossberg Maverick 88

Tell Me About the Mossberg Maverick 88

Upon consideration of the advice of note small arms expert, Joe Biden, I'm thinking that getting a shotgun for HD might now be a bad idea. Let me set the stage properly, I own 6 handguns (2 M&Ps, G27, Taurus 740, HK P2000SK, PF9) and currently use a full size M&P40 with light as my HD weapon. I live in a high rise condo building so any engagement will be against a home invader breaching my door and almost certainly will be at 10 years or less, possibly a lot less. I'm starting to think that a short barrel (18.5" not SBS, I'm not going to play in Class III yet) might be a good addition also.

I really don't want to spend a whole lot, I've spent well over $1K recently on my HK between the gun, ammo, and mags so I want to keep it reasonable. Don't laugh at me, but I ordered a cheap ($15) spring airsoft "shotgun' recently to use as a size reference to see if a shotgun is practical in my home, I think it is. My thought right now is: get a Maverick 88 with the 18.5" barrel, remove the stock and either go stockless or get an AR style stock, pistol grip, fore end mounted light, shell saddle for spare rounds. I figure I can do this for under $500, which is my soft limit on cost.

Is this a sound idea? Anyone have a better suggestion or plan?

2. Remove Ads

Problem is, a Shotgun is going to do a lot of damage, unless you switch to Birdshot or something else, but then run the risk of not putthing the guy down . . . though at 10 feet (i think you meant feet rather than yards) that might not be an issue. I watched a video the other day showing a comparison of different shells through sheetrock for just the situation you were talking about.

And since we all know YouTube is the absolute authority on all things firearms, I'll see if I can find it for you. (Alright, sarcasm aside, it was pretty informational, though I am usually somewhat suspect of those videos just because I don't all the variables surrounding what they're doing).

EDIT: Found it. Home Defense: Interior wall penetration test with 12 gauge shotgun - YouTube

And here's another one from a different perspective. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIfilArIHlY

I have one and it's been a reliable little shotty!

I compared it side-by-side with my buddy's Mossberg 500. Here's what I noticed:

The Mossberg 500 was a tad heavier and felt more sturdy. It was 2" longer than my 88 and held one extra shell (500 holds 6, 88 holds 5).

I love the 500's safety! It's where the gun meets the stock and very visible. The 88's is next to the trigger.

The biggest difference I noticed was the recoil. The 88 kicks like a mule while the 500 doesn't. It has to be the sturdy build of the gun that reduces it.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Get a mossy 500.... it is newer manufacture and the 88's pack a wallop for some reason. The 500 is a dependable, rugged, economical shotty that will serve longer than you or i will be around. I use a 20ga 500 for HD...its actually my deer / bird gun... but the bird barrel works just fine for me.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I like a Mossberg, have a few. Their Maverick 88 are their Mexican imports.
    For $325. + free shipping, you can get a 20 inch barrel, 8 shell tube mag, and be set one you put a light on it. A 6 round side-saddle will cost $30.
    A pistol grip would serve your conditions best with lead-only 0000 Buckshot.
    Your pattern will only open 1 inch per 3 feet, which is about a 4 inch pattern at 10 feet... a fairly long shot for home defense.

Myself, I prefer to answer the door with a handgun I can easily tuck in my back pocket, since 99.9999% of the time it will not be a home invader.
    I like the Corbon Pow'Rballs in .45acp They have the most ft-lbs of energy to 30 feet and do not penetrate walls well, at all.

Also, even though they are a horribly-devastating round, the drywall safety factor will indicate you thought about protecting innocents beforehand; just in case things go south.
    NONAME762 likes this.

I actually got to fondle several 500s at Cabela's today after I posted this thread, one with a pistol grip and short barrel, another without and one with the integrated light in the pump. They all seem very well made and sturdy. To muddy the waters, I also spent about 20 minutes with a Bushmaster C-15. I don't own an AR, if I got one I'd go with a basic flat top and add stuff from there. It was $849 on the price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    I like a Mossberg, have a few. Their Maverick 88 are their Mexican imports. Myself, I prefer to answer the door with a handgun I can easily tuck in my back pocket, since 99.9999% of the time it will not be a home invader.
    I have a surplus LEO Mossy 500 w/Rifle sights. Had it a pretty long time. I've answered the door a few times with handgun handy. If I think I need a 12G, I'll have the 12G in hand but I AIN'T answerin the door.
    Jemsaal likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Lead Moderator
    Research if the 88 will even be able to be fitted with aftermarket stocks, ect. I know they did not make many parts a few years ago.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If $500 is your budget, I'd suggest you look at a Benelli Nova or SuperNova. You won't have too many tacticool options (which is sometimes a blessing in terms of keeping your cost down), but it's in a different class.

I saw a Moss 500A, 20 inch bbl and 8 shell Mag tube on a LGS's shelf last week for $235. a couple weeks ago. It had the full sized plain stock, but they had pistol grips for $28. each.
    A Tac Star 6 shell side saddle cost < $28. on Amazon. For about $300., there is a 'Beast' of a SG. I have one myself & added a light to it.

If I grab it, I have 15 shells to be dealt with. It is surprisingly lightweight and uses 3 inch shells. bbl is OC... no choke.

No need to go down to the Maverick level, not that there's anything wrong with that.

CSL
    I have a Maverick 88 and yesterday I was shooting skeet with my buddy who has a Mossy 500. We did some comparing and found them to be pretty much identical. The weight and components were all the same. His has a wood stock and forend and mine has synthetic. Any extra kick from the Maverick is probably due to that. One of the only differences that I could see is the safety. The placement of the trigger is just above the stock on the Mossy (which I prefer), but it is on the trigger guard on the Maverick. Their capacity is also the same.

As far as accessories, anything that will fit the 500 will fit the Maverick. Also, I think someone said the Maverick is a Mexican import. This is not true, or at least not any longer (maybe they did at one time). My Maverick came with a big "Made in the USA" sticker.

I bought my Maverick to turn into a home defense shotty, and I highly recommend it for that purpose if you can get one for a good deal. I only gave $160 for mine new.
    Cory1022 likes this.
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by CSL View Post
    I have a Maverick 88 and yesterday I was shooting skeet with my buddy who has a Mossy 500. We did some comparing and found them to be pretty much identical. The weight and components were all the same. His has a wood stock and forend and mine has synthetic. Any extra kick from the Maverick is probably due to that. One of the only differences that I could see is the safety. The placement of the trigger is just above the stock on the Mossy (which I prefer), but it is on the trigger guard on the Maverick. Their capacity is also the same.

As far as accessories, anything that will fit the 500 will fit the Maverick. Also, I think someone said the Maverick is a Mexican import. This is not true, or at least not any longer (maybe they did at one time). My Maverick came with a big "Made in the USA" sticker.

I bought my Maverick to turn into a home defense shotty, and I highly recommend it for that purpose if you can get one for a good deal. I only gave $160 for mine new.
    IMO, the tang mounted safety is one of the best things about a Mossberg...why would they move it on the Maverick???

CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    IMO, the tang mounted safety is one of the best things about a Mossberg...why would they move it on the Maverick???
    I agree! I wish I knew. Probably $.
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

They aren't Mexican, they're made in Eagle Pass, TX. I held a Maverick tonight at Academy with the 28in barrel (only one they had), didn't buy it. Is it true that it breaks down into like 15 parts versus 4 for the 870?

I have one, its a decent, inexpensive, entry level pump shotgun made to kill things. Things killed with it will be just as dead as things killed with any other 12ga shotgun on the planet. I didn't buy it to look at or play with ...Its a simple tool to kill things and I am confident that it will do just that.
    It sits in the corner by my bed waiting for things that go bump in the night.
    Cory1022 and jtrnbow1 like this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links