My latest AR 'accessory' - lot's of pics and a video...

This is a discussion on My latest AR 'accessory' - lot's of pics and a video... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here it is, it's on muzzle end of the gun: And a closer look: Most of you likely know that I have a hog hunt ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My latest AR 'accessory' - lot's of pics and a video...

Senior Moderator

My latest AR 'accessory' - lot's of pics and a video...

Here it is, it's on muzzle end of the gun:

And a closer look:

Most of you likely know that I have a hog hunt coming up in about 3 weeks. I want to record as much of the 'fun' as reasonable so I've been looking at ways to record the major events.

I think most people's first thought would be a GoPro, but I've learned what should have been obvious to me, 'action' cams have a very wide angle lens, anywhere from 120 to a whopping 170. These cameras have these wide angle lens to capture action up close, for example, mounted on the end of a surfboard or kayak, they have to capture the person lterally from head to toe, and that's where they really shine.

However, as the range increases these wide angle lens become a disadvantage. As the range grows, the lens takes in so much area, specific 'targets' or objects become quite small and it doesn't take very much range before an object of interest is unrecognizable or at least difficult to see.

I tried my Tachyon HD gun camera on a couple of guns and was a little disappointed in the results. Like all action cams, it's best is up close - like clearing a room. But if you look down the street a block or so, people become too small to recognize. And remember too, these cameras have no zoom. Why do you think the non-action camcorders have 30X and more zoom capability? To catch the action when it's far away, obviously - like a pig 25 yards away.

Rather than continue in abstract descriptions, let me do some number crunching for you and bring some perspective to the problem. Let's take a pig that's 3 feet from nose to rear end. That may not sound like a big pig, but pull out a yardstick and you'll see that's a pretty good sized pig! Let's say the pig is 25 yards away and we have an action cam with a 120 angle lens. The question is, how many feet does the camera see, i.e. width, at a distance of 25 yards?

Well, the math says it would see 260 feet at 25 yards! That's huge! So the three foot pig is 1.15% of the total pic in just one axis. And there you have the problem - at 25 yards, the pig is waaay t0o small.

Realizing 'action' cams were not the answer, I started looking for a suitable camera. I wanted true 1080p HD, at least 20X optical zoom, as small as I could find, and a subtle but important feature 'zoom memory', i.e. if you turn the camera off, when you power it back up, it will automatical be at or go to the previous zoom. After a lot of looking and researching, I found a JVC GX V500 - it looked perfect; it was significantly smaller than anything else and had all the features, and the best feature was it was only $229 from Walmart (online).

Now I had to come up with a way to mount it. I wanted to mount it upside down to get a tight mount and use my video editor to upright it - that would be easy. The problem with upside down is the LCD viewscreen would open on the right side of the gun and that's the wrong side for a right handed shooter. So that was out.

I'd have to design and build a mount. I wanted one that would give as much protection to the camera as practical, allow access to the zoom control, and to the lens shutter open and close switch. It took three generations to come up with this. This is it after it had been sand blasted and painted with a non-reflective olive drab paint to match (pretty close anyway) the olive drab on my AR.

The little notch is a relief cut to allow access to the shutter switch - you'll see that better in another pic:

And here it is with the small QD rail grabber and camera all mounted:

And the back side and the reason for the notch:

And here's a very preliminary look at how it works. It's actually mounted on the gun and I'm taking the first video with it just to see how it feels. You'll notice some zooming - a feature that this video demonstrates the advantage of. I know, I know, you aren't supposed to end a sentence with a proposition ('of' and it's preposition).

Now if it doesn't get shaken a part by recoil and I don't think that will happen, there's really not much recoil on an AR, and that's one of the heavier ARs.

Oh, you may need to select a higher resolution on YouTube; it goes up to 720p HD - it may default to 240

I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

OMG I hate you...LOL j/king.....

Looks real nice. Nice video as well..

Thanks for sharing...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Can't wait to see how it holds up..nice setup you made
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    Can't wait to see how it holds up..
    Yeah, I'm kind of holding my breath about that.

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    ...nice setup you made
    Thanks!

Aaargh. I expected you to shoot. Now I have to wait.
    atctimmy likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    Aaargh. I expected you to shoot. Now I have to wait.
    I know - I have to wait too.

Probably gonna be Thursday.

That's a good one, nice work on the mount. I may have left the other one on there so I could say, "See, hit that hog at 600 yards on the 1st shot". LOL

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Nice, I'm already looking forward to the video.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    That's a good one, nice work on the mount. I may have left the other one on there so I could say, "See, hit that hog at 600 yards on the 1st shot". LOL
    Hmmm......hmmm......you know, you just may be on to something there!

Nice. Interesting to see how it films while shooting. Next thing to do is to plug a remote mic into the jack and run it to either a headset or maybe just to the left of the rear sight. Then you can whisper into it during the hunt.
    stanislaskasava likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Nice. Interesting to see how it films while shooting. Next thing to do is to plug a remote mic into the jack and run it to either a headset or maybe just to the left of the rear sight. Then you can whisper into it during the hunt.
    It just so happens I have a suitable mic for that. I'm not sure, but I doubt this camera has a mic input, but I use the mic with a voice recorder. I mute the video's audio track and put my voice recorder file in the vid for the audio - works great.

But I hadn't though about that in this application until you mentioned it. I don't even have to have a wire on the gun or anything attached to the gun.

Glad you brought that up!
    stanislaskasava likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Cool. Looks like you will get to record the fun of the hunt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

you could try this a lot easier, then you could use it for anything, a phone camera?

That is a fantastic set-up! Great job. The video quality was outstanding too. It'll be fun to see your hunts.

Ron, you bring up a great point about the wide angle of the action cameras. While I prefer watching a head mounted camera for action videos, for shooting I like a rifle mounted camera with a tighter, longer lens.

I NEED that x300u bad!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links