Maybe a good sign - ARs in the rack at Sportsman's Warehouse - not a bad price either

Maybe a good sign - ARs in the rack at Sportsman's Warehouse - not a bad price either

This is a discussion on Maybe a good sign - ARs in the rack at Sportsman's Warehouse - not a bad price either within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ARs, handguns, ammo, ammo components are hard to come by these days, but maybe there's a glimmer of hope. I went into Sportsman's Warehouse (SW) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Maybe a good sign - ARs in the rack at Sportsman's Warehouse - not a bad price either

Senior Moderator

ARs, handguns, ammo, ammo components are hard to come by these days, but maybe there's a glimmer of hope.

I went into Sportsman's Warehouse (SW) last Friday to get some shotgun ammo, I get the heavy stuff - nobody seems to want that, so there's usually a few boxes, but I swung by the gun counter and there were two ARs in the rack. Here's the significance of that...

Up until last week, SW gets deliveries on Mondays and they have typically had customers lined up outside an hour or so before opening time on Mondays to get a chance at buying an AR. By noon, all ARs are gone! But here it is Friday and there are two ARs in the rack.

So, like an idiot, I ask to look at one - it's a Windham. I've heard some good things about Windham (previous owners of Bushmaster) and all parts are made right here in the US. This AR was a flattop with a gas tube block rail the same height as the receiver rail. It had a collapsible stock, the round forend, no sights, one 30 round mag, forward assist, good trigger, chrome lined barrel, air gauged barrel, chrome lined bolt carrier, sling, and a polymer storage case - $899.

Why do I say there may be a glimmer of hope? Last week, these ARs would have been gone by Monday - the day they arrived. Yet here it is Friday and SW still has ARs!

So just maybe this means either the manufacturers are catching up, or the public has saturated with ARs or some of both.

So if the ARs are starting to stay in stock, maybe ammo and components won't be far behind. Let's hope!
    NONAME762 likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I think the market panic has slowed tremendously. My local shop (which used to have walls lined) has about 20 or so AR carbines in stock. Price ranges are normal, non-inflated from $899 for a basic setup to $1300 for a Colt with Magpul furniture.

Like you, I have my fingers crossed for ammo prices to drop. I'm not too crazy about spending $0.60 a round for 5.56.
    atctimmy likes this.

I was in 2 LGS (just guns/accessories NOT sporting goods) just this week and both places (I'm ball parking it) had 20 easy AR's and possibly more. I'm looking for a new edc gun so wasn't regarding long guns w/any real interest. One shop was well stocked w/NATO calibers but nary a bit of 22. The other shop was basically out of handgun rounds.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Cabela's in KC has AR's in stock, but I think the prices were still a bit high. The prices on 30 rnd mags were definitely high.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I went into a gun store Tuesday and they had M&P ARS,Stag ARS and a couple of others.They even had three,42rd Pmags,on the rack for 16.00 a piece.
    Maybe things are kinda,sort of,getting back,to where they were,once upon a time.

I was in a LGS yesterday and for the first time in months they had a wall full of rifles and shotguns. The owner said that "things have really slowed-down over the past 2-3 weeks." He also had 5.56 ammo - something I haven't seen in a while, but it was about $0.90 / round so still a bit high.

I was running errands on Thursday morning and near the local Sportsman's Warehouse around 9:05 am so I stopped in. They get their deliveries on Wednesday evenings and the guns and ammo are out first thing Thursdays. The line for ammo went from the customer service counter at the front almost to the back of the store. I am sure glad I don't need any ammo. The gun counter was about two deep with people buying guns. The counter clerk said they had received over 300 guns in that shipment. Most of them were long guns including some ARs in the $895 to $1095 range. They didn't receive anything I was looking for.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Now if some ammo would be in the rack it would be good times.
    MidWorld likes this.

LGS used to keep 500+ AR's in stock, but was down to zero for most of the Winter. They now have a couple of hundred back in stock, plus lots of handguns.

Ammo has started to show at my local shops. And Walmart has started get ammo too.
    As mentioned .60 cents for 5.56 is a little steep. But I did score a brick of 22LR today.

Edit: my name is what state I am in.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    tuesday and thurday if you show up before noon you can get a box of .223 if you show up at 8 am you can wait with around 50 people and hope to get a box of 9mm..LGS has 9mm for 40.00 a box in steel not paying that he can keep it and I'll never buy another gun form him for gauging customers and oh yes I've told him... bought many a gun from him before that.. PS may be in line at 8 LOL
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Last week I went to local SW. Not much for handguns and no ammo. I don't recall what day but I used to buy a 250 brick of fmj .380 and one of .38 every four or five weeks for practive anytime they were open. Not any more.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

VIP Member
    I was in my LGS this week and they had at least 15 AR's on the shelf. Prices are a little high, but definitely demonstrating tht the market has corrected. Ammo can't be too far behind.... I hope...

Here AR's in the rack funny part the quality stuff is priced close to right the cheap ones are over priced.
    The increase in supply may not be long term Obama made it clear he is not done yet.

OP you may be right. I've started getting email notifications from online vendors letting me know 22LR ammo, magazines are in stock. Granted they don't last but a few minutes but at least I'm getting emails for the first time since all this Obama-mania started. If the gun industry could just completely move to the south we might have a chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links