truck gun for a college student

This is a discussion on truck gun for a college student within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Next week I am headin home to Cincinnati from school for thanksgiving, and after taking stock of my financial status as a college student, have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Next week I am headin home to Cincinnati from school for thanksgiving, and after taking stock of my financial status as a college student, have decided that I can afford a simple milsurp type rifle for a truck gun. There is a gun show in town the weekend I will be home, and AIMsurplus is about a 20 minute drive from my parents house. Since I spend most of my time in Columbus, OH, most semi autos are out (otherwise I would use my mini-14 or WASR-10), so the sks is also out of the running. The three main choices i have been able to come up with though are,

1. An Enfield, which AIM currently has some that come in .308
    2. Mosin Nagant, probably an M44 due to the overall shorter lenght of the weapon, my brother has a 91/30, and that wouldnt be too handy from pullin out from behind the seats
    3. One of the Yugo Mausers in 8mm

I'm not lookin for a bolt gun with sub MOA groups, or even a hunting gun (Ohio doesnt let you use rifles) just something that I can throw behind the seat of my truck in case of emergencies, that isnt gonna break the bank. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    go with #2
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    Yes - altho your options are all viable in theory - length is a factor.

I would try for an M44 or 38 - this will keep size sensible. I have just ordered a load of 54R from AIM - they have a fair deal going right now (tho heck - shipping is a killer!) - 800 round crate for approx $70!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I drive a 1977 GMC 2500 Sierra Grande, so lenght as far as storage is concerned isnt too big of an issue. Im 5'11 and can't reach to unlock the passenger door without unbuckling. The longest one is the Enfield at 44.5 inches, with the Mauser at 42.9" and the M44 at 40". Shipping is a killer though, which is why I buy all my ammo from then while im at my parents for holidays.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Have you considered a Kel-Tec Sub 2000?
    Or it's more powerful folding .223 counterpart?
    I have the 9mm 2000 which uses Glock 19 mags and it works with both the 15 and 30 rounders.

Being in the Cinci area - cloes to AIM - and having experienced all of the above - I would choose #3. The Yugo Mauser is a sweet rifle and much smoother than the M44's (also much more accurate) - definitely worth the extra money. Ammo is a wash either way.

The Enfield 308's are nice - but I've heard they require some work to be reliable.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I didn't see any of your choices that are likely to be capable of sub MOA groups. If that's what you're looking for I'd recommend you look at some Savage bolt action rifles, they're cheap and have one of the best reputations for accuracy of all the factory rifles.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    OK Buckeye I don't mean to hijack your thread here, but after readi9ng your post I am also interested in the Mosin Nagant M44.

I am looking for a cheap but good deer gun. I looked on the web and was able to find some pretty cool accessories for the M44 too.

So my question to everyone is would the M44 make a good deer gun? How far should this gun shoot accurately.

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a 30-06?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    The M44 shoots a .30 caliber bullet at adequate velocity to take any deer down (7.62x54). As for accuracy, it depends largely on the individual rifle you end up with. If it has been stored well, the bore and action are in good shape, and you shoot a heavy bullet (this era of military rifle has a Fast twist), you can probably take ethical shots out to 200yds if you do your part, and you have a decent scope.

As far as the kel-tecs go, i'd prefer something in a bigger caliber, and since most of my time is spent in columbus for the time being, they are a definate no due to the AWB the city has. I like the savage rifles, but i'm not lookin for anything that fancy, more along the lines of being able to hit a bowling at distances of a couple hundred yards with the iron sites. One other option after reading some of the other threads on here is my Marlin .30-30. Which I have scoped up for trips to a friends farm in Indiana, but id rather not throw that behind my truck seat, as opposed to a 100-150 dollar rifle I dont care if it gets all scratched up, and worry about the shock on the scope from the full ton leaf springs I'm riding on. I get the luck of having to work Thursday and Friday nights and all day Saturday due to the M*chigan game, so no matter what I'll definately be able to stock up on ammo for any of the above choices. But I've still got another week and a half to think about it, so who knows?

how about a pump shotgun? or a coach gun

Not to be a stick in the mud but a good Lever action in 44mag or 30-30 fits just fine behind a pickup seat back.

Ak variant or SKS or good ol M1 carbine.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

He did say no Semis.
    How about a double barrelled sawed off?

He said: On a Budget.

No Semi's

Rifle

I'd pick a Yugo also. Plus since it's a 98 type action you got somethng to build on if you so choose later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links