Does "twist-rate" apply to pistol-caliber carbines?

This is a discussion on Does "twist-rate" apply to pistol-caliber carbines? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just as the title says... Does twist-rate apply to pistol-caliber carbines ? Specifically, a 9mm Beretta Cx4 Storm Carbine? I've seen and read a good ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By MidWorld
  • 1 Post By OD*
  • 1 Post By OD*

Thread: Does "twist-rate" apply to pistol-caliber carbines?

Does "twist-rate" apply to pistol-caliber carbines?

Just as the title says... Does twist-rate apply to pistol-caliber carbines? Specifically, a 9mm Beretta Cx4 Storm Carbine? I've seen and read a good bit about twist-rates for AR-15 ammo in 5.56/.223 caliber, but have not seen the same info applied to pistol calibers. Does this mean that it is not as important in stabilizing the heavier bullets in 9mm? Thanks for any and all information. I'm new to the rifle market, and would like to understand the differences other than the obvious weight and speed differences in the types of ammunition.
    Last edited by vilecanards; April 28th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Twist rate is applicable to anything with rifling.

I think there is generally less deviation in 9mm twist rates than 5.56 though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Read an interesting article about handgun twist rates and it seems that the twist rate affects how well the bullet stays true to course after penetrating barriers. There were some compelling pictures of that as well as the fact that most major manufacturers have either already or are going to switch to a 10:1 twist rate for handguns. Some people disbelieve the affect of twist rate in a handgun but think it is important for a rifle. The purpose of twist rates is to keep the bullet from yawing and that seems to indicate that it would be even more important when penetrating barriers.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

Quote Originally Posted by vilecanards View Post
    Just as the title says... Does twist-rate apply to pistol-caliber carbines? Specifically, a 9mm Beretta Cx4 Storm Carbine? I've seen and read a good bit about twist-rates for AR-15 ammo in 5.56/.223 caliber, but have not seen the same info applied to pistol calibers. Does this mean that it is not as important in stabilizing the heavier bullets in 9mm? Thanks for any and all information. I'm new to the rifle market, and would like to understand the differences other than the obvious weight and speed differences in the types of ammunition.
    Twist rate is very important in any handgun barrel. I have never done any R&D on 9mm but have done extensive work with a Dan Wesson in 357mag. I have barrels in 1in18 and 1in12. When shooting for groups at 100 yards the 1 in 12 cut my groups in half with 180-200 grain bullets. With 158 grain the groups are about the same.

I think the reason you don't see as much information about twist rates in hand gun rounds is because there is less variation in bullet weight and thus weight. In 9mm for instance bullets are normally 115 grain up to 147 grain a difference of 32 grains which doesn't make a big difference in length with bullets of that diameter. In .223 we see bullets from 35 grains on the low end all the way up to 80 grains + A difference of 45 grains, and more importantly to twist rate, length.

Twist rate is important for handguns, there is just a lot less choice, thus it doesn't get talked about that much.
    QKShooter and MadGunner420 like this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    Read an interesting article about handgun twist rates and it seems that the twist rate affects how well the bullet stays true to course after penetrating barriers. There were some compelling pictures of that as well as the fact that most major manufacturers have either already or are going to switch to a 10:1 twist rate for handguns. Some people disbelieve the affect of twist rate in a handgun but think it is important for a rifle. The purpose of twist rates is to keep the bullet from yawing and that seems to indicate that it would be even more important when penetrating barriers.
    Hopefully you meant 1:10 and not 10:1, I know of no manufacturer using ten twists in one inch.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

The biggest difference that I am aware of is with big bore Marlin carbines and very heavy bullets. The factory twist is too slow to properly stabilize them. With a 9mm it would be trial and error to see what bullet/load it like the best.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Hopefully you meant 1:10 and not 10:1, I know of no manufacturer using ten twists in one inch.
    hmm getting close to pipe thread with that twist rate

Thanks for the replies. I sorta' thought that twist-rate was much more important in the AR-15 calibers than the pistol caliber carbines.

OD*
    Still wondering which manufacturers "have either already or are going to switch to a 10:1 twist rate for handguns"?
    Chorizo likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Distinguished Member
    Has a lot to do with bullet length and weight distribution in the bullet...it became critical in the new 5.56 ammo with penetrator cores (required a much longer bullet to get the weight up and the bullet was heavier at the base than a standard copper jacket/lead core as the penetrator was not as dense as lead) and required a much faster twist rate (from 1:9 to 1:7, the original AR had 1:12). As most pistol bullets are short to diameter and shot short distances, even from carbines, and at lower speeds, it is not as critical.

So to make a long story short, only critical for longer range shooting, usually in hunting type bullets.

Defensive handgun ammo, reliable expansion at handgun speeds and penetration is more critical even from a carbine.

Read this for a very interesting perspective on pistol caliber carbines:

http://www.emich.edu/cerns/downloads...%20Carbine.pdf
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links