New Marlins- quality going down the drain?

This is a discussion on New Marlins- quality going down the drain? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw a brand-new Marlin 336 in .30-30 today, in a local Dick's sporting goods marked for $414. I thought "cool" been interested in one for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New Marlins- quality going down the drain?

Saw a brand-new Marlin 336 in .30-30 today, in a local Dick's sporting goods marked for $414.
    I thought "cool" been interested in one for some time... so I took a look.

I was surprised to find that the shoulder and fore end stocks were not wood, nor even a decent-grade of polymer, but some el-cheapo plastic that looked more like it belonged on a Daisy Red Ryder.It was patterned to "look" like a laminated wood stock, but wasnt.
    When did they start doing this? Most of the one's I'd seen in the past were of Walnut stocks, or at least actual wood.

Further, when I sighted down the iron sights, I noticed that the front-sight was canted to around 11 o clock off-center. Didnt even remotely line up with the notch of the buckhorn sight. I figured that perhaps it had just gotten knocked loose, or bent during shipping or handling in the store, but when I looked closer, and touched it, it was firmly fixed to the barrel this far out of whack.

Has some dramatic quality-control issue come up of late at Marlin? Or have they started making these in Indonesia or some other 4th world hole?

I asked to look at a Rossi that was on the rack next to it, and while a bit shoddy, it at least had stocks of some kind of actual wood, and the sights were lined up and straight..
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; April 28th, 2013 at 10:35 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I saw a YouTube rant about this not too long ago. There were fit and finish issues and the sights weren't aligned. Marlin made it right if I remember correctly. My impression was the issues were real but the guy was kind of a jerk.

Dunno, havent seen it, so cant speak to it. But if he was seeing anything like what I was shocked to see today......
    I'd actually been really interested in a 336 for some time. $$$ being tight, until recently, prevented my doing so.
    Further, local shops seemed only rarely to have one in, and most-often had .45-70's in stock, which are a bit more than I need for around here, so I was holding out.
    I finally see one in stock again, and try to check it out, and was amazed at how horrid the quality was, compared to past 336's I'd looked over , as little as a yr. ago.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    If it were me, I'd be looking for an older used model. There should be tons of them out there. I saw one in .35 Remington not too long ago in a pawn shop for $400. I wasn't in the market but it looked to be in pretty nice shape.
    ccw9mm, Bad Bob and bmcgilvray like this.

...was blessed to find one from the 70s...runs like a Timex watch...fit, finish,and function are excellent

...have seen many from the early 2000s on that were crappy...some that were OK...the forums are full of complaints and complaints about their CS...they've been bought and absorbed a lot so there's a state of flux...you will find a lot of info on Marlinowners forum...

...I'd say to hunt for an older model by serial # would yield a better rifle than to buy a new one off the shelf...sad to say all this but it's true...

...the .35 is more rare...and much sought after...I'm sure you could have sold it for closer to $500 had you picked it up...great brush-buster...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    If it were me, I'd be looking for an older used model. There should be tons of them out there. I saw one in .35 Remington not too long ago in a pawn shop for $400. I wasn't in the market but it looked to be in pretty nice shape.

The pre-lock, well-used examples from the 1950's and 1960's are the ones that most interest me. Hoganbeg hit the nail on the head, there.

In the past 10yrs, I've had a couple of the newer ones (though, none of the post-Rem models). Ditto on the .35REM: if you're patient, you can find a good, earlier example that (IMO) will serve you much better.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yep, you need to look at a used one. Love my 35 Rem... Mine has the OEM scope as well. Nice if you can find them. I would hesitate any update even to the scope. Just something about the scope looks like it is part of the rifle...

and I love lever actions...

marlin
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Since Remington purchased Marlin, there have been many issues noted. Hopefully Remington will not keep treating the Marlin brand like a red headed step child and pay more attention to their QC.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Leave us red-headed stepchildren alone...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post

^^^^^This is what I would do.^^^^^

Jay's sporting goods, a place in Clare Michigan(also one in Gaylord) has literally 100's of these used
    I would try to go this route. I have one new in 1978 and its a terrific rifle.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I think so, I looked at a .17 next to a Savage. they were within 20 bucks same price. The Marlin action was not smooth, the entire rifle seemed to be put together in a rush and the workman ship / quality was poor.

Also at my last Appleseed, one of the students had a new marlin. It has issues all day. The new students with the Ruger 10/22s did fine all weekend with no problems.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I bought a marlin 1895 GG a year or so back. HORRIBLE experience. I had a lg order it and normally I inspect firearms before possession by my lg guy said it was nice and we are on a first name basis so I took his word. Oh lord. Would chamber a round from the tube, loading in the chamber and it wouldn't close. Front sight was lose. Burrs in the entire chamber area. Screw lose on the action. Had to call and send it back. Needless to say between wait time on order and sending back for repairs it was a total of 7 1/2 months. Never again will I buy a Marlington. Or remlin if you will. Ever since Remington took over, there quality has been horrible. Later bought a remmy 700 in 308. Horrible as well. Sticking to my TC's and winchesters.

End rant.

Bob

I was in the Cabela's in Sydney about a month ago. In the used rack, they had several Remlins of different type. I noticed that they still had factory stickers on them so I thought it was strange to be in the used racks. I looked at a few of them and the finish looked like it was done in Krylon! The fit wasn't very good either and while they had the levers zip-tied, just looking at them, I have my doubts that they would be as smooth as my old 336 or 39s. I just wasn't very impressed with them one little bit!

...their quality's been suffering since about 2000, way before Rem took over...but it took a pronounced dive when they did take over...shame that such a respected name would be smeared with shoddy products...same like Colt and Remington and some others...the pride of the craftsman has been replaced by the calculator of the accountant...and we're on the short end of the stick...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob3663 View Post
    I bought a marlin 1895 GG a year or so back. HORRIBLE experience. I had a lg order it and normally I inspect firearms before possession by my lg guy said it was nice and we are on a first name basis so I took his word. Oh lord. Would chamber a round from the tube, loading in the chamber and it wouldn't close. Front sight was lose. Burrs in the entire chamber area. Screw lose on the action. Had to call and send it back. Needless to say between wait time on order and sending back for repairs it was a total of 7 1/2 months. Never again will I buy a Marlington. Or remlin if you will. Ever since Remington took over, there quality has been horrible. Later bought a remmy 700 in 308. Horrible as well. Sticking to my TC's and winchesters.

End rant.

Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links