Almost Done: New Haven/Mossberg 12 ga with Shockwave Raptor grip! MadMax look out!

This is a discussion on Almost Done: New Haven/Mossberg 12 ga with Shockwave Raptor grip! MadMax look out! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just added the foregrip strap on my New Haven. See my earlier post about the Raptor pistol grip from Shockwave Technologies: I have a side ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Almost Done: New Haven/Mossberg 12 ga with Shockwave Raptor grip! MadMax look out!

Almost Done: New Haven/Mossberg 12 ga with Shockwave Raptor grip! MadMax look out!

Just added the foregrip strap on my New Haven. See my earlier post about the Raptor pistol grip from Shockwave Technologies:

I have a side saddle shell carrier en route to add to the cheek-side of the receiver, and then she'll be done. The foregrip really gives you something to hold onto, especially carrying it. It has 2 screws per end and is very solidly-attached.

I will post final pics once the sidesaddle is installed... with the strap and side saddle, I am at $180 into this versatile and handy 12 ga!

Hard to beat that price, and you can't get something this functional for twice the price off the shelf!
    Attached Images
    bigmacque likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Looks AWESOME!!! I just installed a forend strap this week as well and I'm currently waiting on my new laser sight that should be here tomorrow! Midway has the Laserlyte Center Mass sight on sale for $90 (regularly $120)!!! Just a heads up for ya! I'm still on the fence about the Raptor, but it does look nice on your rig!

Have you shot it yet with the new grip and if so how do you like it ??? God Bless

Much more manageable recoil with this grip. I had a standard pistol grip once before; the right-angle design directs all of the recoil into your wrist and forearm. NOT pleasant.

The Raptor grip moves backward in your hand, directing most of the recoil into both arms, and much lest felt impact in the wrist and forearm. The grip seems to allow the shooter to absorb the impact by letting the gun's grip recoil backwards, instead of slamming the right-angled pistol grip into the shooter.

Hard to describe, but it is much more pleasant to shoot. And for its purpose as a true scatter gun, it does the job very very well!

A "scatter gun" still has to be aimed. Other than eliminating the possibility of putting the gun up to your shoulder, I'm not sure what this grip does that you cannot do with a conventional shoulder stock? Is a few inches of length for storage such a big deal that you would limit the versatility of the weapon?

Educate me - I'm confused.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    It looks like it's going to knock your teeth out (which often happens with pistol grip 12 gauges).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb7u-mK7zYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXY5XxWO_A8
    Last edited by atctimmy; May 1st, 2013 at 05:38 AM.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Oh come on.... give me a break.

I don't generally hold my 12-ga shotgun by my teeth, nor do I use any part of my face to pull the trigger, so the chances of knocking out teeth is pretty slim.

Any style of pistol-grip on a shotgun eliminates the ability to shoulder-fire the weapon: if you want to shoulder it, don't put a pistol grip on it. And as far as being confusing? A pistol grip gives you much greater concealment, much more weapon control in tight/Close quarters, and makes a shotgun a viable weapon to use in a car, hallway, or backpack.

If it "limits the versatility of the weapon" by making it shorter ( and it's way more than a few inches), perhaps you would opt for a full-stock shotgun...and good luck hanging on to it if you are in a hallway or Close quarters encounter. Personally, I think it ENHANCES the versatility of the weapon.

Be careful, it looks so nice Joe Biden might borrow it.
    bigmacque and OD* like this.

Well, I don't plan on concealing my shotgun, nor using it from inside a car.

If I want to shoot a shotgun from the hip, it is entirely possible to do so with a conventional shoulder stock - the part that rests on the shoulder will just be next to your hip, or slightly behind it. Really no difference as far as protecting the gun from an attempted grab.

Hey, if it works for you - have at it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

it works for me!

And since I seriously doubt my Shortie is the only pistol-gripped shotgun on the planet, I"m guessing there are maybe 5 or 6 other people that feel the same way.

Nothing wrong with shoulder stocks on a 12 ga: I have a Remington 870 Tactical that is a fine weapon. Pistol grip integral with the shoulder stock, very quick to bring on target, and a mere 41 inches long, compared to the Shortie at 30.5 inches. If I am going hiking, camping, or an extended road trip, or to a remote wilderness or even inner city destination, I will likely pack the Shortie. And if something goes bump in the night, I feel much better toting the Shortie down the hallways of the house and checking rooms over the almost 4-foot long Remington. And aiming a shotgun? I'm guessing that at a distance of 20 feet, your pattern will spread about 4 feet? Seriously? I'm not sure how much aiming you need to do if a 4-foot spread has to be aimed to hit your target. Point-and-shoot should enable a 4-foot pattern to hit the target: if not, said shooter should trade the 12-ga in for a rifle and forget about shotguns.

But that's probably just me....and those other 5 or 6 people.
    18loosebottles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    And aiming a shotgun? I'm guessing that at a distance of 20 feet, your pattern will spread about 4 feet? Seriously? I'm not sure how much aiming you need to do if a 4-foot spread has to be aimed to hit your target. Point-and-shoot should enable a 4-foot pattern to hit the target: if not, said shooter should trade the 12-ga in for a rifle and forget about shotguns.
    It's a common myth that shotguns spray death in a massive arc and don't need to be aimed.

Unless you have some weird-as-hell choke and/or ammo, you're overestimating the spread. I'm assuming we're talking 00 buck out of an 18.5" barrel. The spread will likely be less than a foot. More like 8-10" at most.

Even if you do achieve massive spread patterns, remember that all that means is there will be fewer pellets hitting the BG. Generally, you want as many as possible to hit the BG.

Instead of guessing your spread, I suggest you actually go out and pattern the gun. Hopefully you'll come to the conclusion that yes, shotguns do in fact need to be aimed and you can indeed miss your target.
    TX expat, 10thmtn and atctimmy like this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    It's a common myth that shotguns spray death in a massive arc and don't need to be aimed.

Unless you have some weird-as-hell choke and/or ammo, you're overestimating the spread. I'm assuming we're talking 00 buck out of an 18.5" barrel. The spread will likely be less than a foot. More like 8-10" at most.

Even if you do achieve massive spread patterns, remember that all that means is there will be fewer pellets hitting the BG. Generally, you want as many as possible to hit the BG.

Instead of guessing your spread, I suggest you actually go out and pattern the gun. Hopefully you'll come to the conclusion that yes, shotguns do in fact need to be aimed and you can indeed miss your target.
    I would totally agree and I have shot them both ways. The birds head grip give the gun a gnarly look but as far as being usable for home defense, I want to aim it the way they were made to be aimed. I've put enough 00 off the target with the pistol grip to come to the conclusion that unless you have some very restrictive size requirements, that setup is more for looks than for purpose.
    10thmtn and atctimmy like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

OP - As suggested, please do pattern your shotgun. You will be surprised.
    atctimmy likes this.
    CT Lasers

I am not using 00 buckshot in my shotgun for home defense. I am using #7 birdshot, and the pattern at 20 feet is more than 3 feet in diameter. I haven't measured it, but I do know that 00 buck is designed for a much tighter spread pattern due to the much heavier and larger pellets. Anyone who uses 00 buck in their home defense weapon is either seriously under-estimating the damage and penetration that 00 buck causes, or has solid brick walls and doesn't care about wall penetration.

Point-and-shoot for a short barreled 12 ga is nothing new: it is efficient and accurate, in the right conditions: a target at the end of a hallway is a perfect example: one does not need to shoulder a shotgun and line up a sight picture in a 20-30 foot hallway! pointing and shooting will hit the target, barring any physical or mental defects that would prevent said shooter from hitting the broad side of a barn with a watermelon.

Trap? Aim it. Skeet? Aim it. 12-ga slugs? Aim it.

A shortie 12-ga for home defense? a pistol grip works just fine with point-and-shoot. Unless maybe some of you have hallways and rooms (and cars) that are much much bigger than my humble single-wide. ;)

If you have a differing opinion, feel free to post up your own thread. This was about a pistol-grip attachment on a short barrel shotgun. If you don't like them, think they aren't versatile, can't be used to hit the broad side of a barn, etc.. that's fine: I will gladly read your post about your opinions. But I'd like to keep this post on this topic, if you don't mind! ;)

vary cool!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links