Need suggestions on 12G slug gun

This is a discussion on Need suggestions on 12G slug gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm fairly new to purchasing guns but have been shooting a long time (had help w/ brother & male friends) so please don't think I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions on 12G slug gun

Distinguished Member

I'm fairly new to purchasing guns but have been shooting a long time (had help w/ brother & male friends) so please don't think I'm an idiot on this.

I have a Winchester 12G BA and was told at the pawn shop it is a gas powered gun and was great for skeet which I want to learn to do. When purchasing ammo, I bought some slugs too. Now I hear that a slug needs a slug gun and that a slug will mess up my gun (a gunsmith told me this).

What is a CHEAP 12G I can get to shoot my slugs in? I'm talking under $300. I think I want a pump action because this will be a gun to keep by the door or just for safety in general.

Oh, and also, will my .22ar be a good choice for night time protection to keep by the bed? It's easy to hold and I'm thinking if I'm sleepy and it having a lot of bullets it would be good but I'm not sure?

Mossberg 500.... look for the slug / bird barrel combo. then you are covered for both. You wont find a good semi auto for 300 buclks or less. as far as the 22 ar goes, not my first choice but it beats a pointy stick and a handful of rocks. Any extra holes, no matter the size, always equals a bad day for a bg...and with a 22 you can empty a 10 rnd mag into his chest very quickly.... but...if you get the shotgun...slap on the bird barrel, throw in an appropriate choke tube and rock some buckshot. much better combo for HD IMO than the 22.

Mossberg & Sons | 54243

you can find a good used mossy 500 from the older variations with both barrels usualy in the 300-350 price range. Dont cheap out if you are going to stake your life on it. My personal home defense shotgun is a mossy 500 20 ga w/ bird barrel loaded with low recoil buckshot rnds. I wont have to shoot far and it will stop a BG quickly.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Awesome gun! I have the above model! Comes with a few chokes, the changeable cheek rests, and you really want the cantilever scope mount. I can shoot terrific groups withit at 100 yards! I have not had the opportunity to go further yet.

No, you don't need a slug gun to shoot rifled slugs. Gas-operated shotguns do just fine with slugs and have for years! In fact, since rifled slugs give a pretty good thump on the shoulder, using a semi-auto will take the edge off some of that recoil.

Which Winchester model is it?

As far as the .22 AR for defensive purposes, I'd say it depends on how reliable your specific gun is. I shoot a "tactical" .22 match monthly, and the AR-based .22s are enormously popular, but if I had a buck for every one that couldn't shoot a hundred rounds without a jam, I could afford that 100-round drum mag for my uber-reliable 10/22. Some double-feed, some fail to chamber a round when the bolt cycles. Ultimately, .22 autos all choke due to ammo problems because you can't put as much quality into a 6-cent round as you do in a 25-cent round.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    No, you don't need a slug gun to shoot rifled slugs. Gas-operated shotguns do just fine with slugs and have for years! In fact, since rifled slugs give a pretty good thump on the shoulder, using a semi-auto will take the edge off some of that recoil.

Which Winchester model is it?

As far as the .22 AR for defensive purposes, I'd say it depends on how reliable your specific gun is. I shoot a "tactical" .22 match monthly, and the AR-based .22s are enormously popular, but if I had a buck for every one that couldn't shoot a hundred rounds without a jam, I could afford that 100-round drum mag for my uber-reliable 10/22. Some double-feed, some fail to chamber a round when the bolt cycles. Ultimately, .22 autos all choke due to ammo problems because you can't put as much quality into a 6-cent round as you do in a 25-cent round.
    It's a Winchester 1400, it was only $250 at the Pawn shop and it is in real good condition and shoots straight ~ love the gun but was told that you can't shoot a slug through it but today (after my post) I phoned Bass Pro and am taking my gun in for them to look at, they said you are correct in that I can use it with slugs. The man on the phone said (of course) I need to take the choke out and he also said to make sure I had the right kind of slugs??? He told me to bring the ammo in too and that they would help. I really can't afford another gun right now if it isn't a "need" (since I already got at 12G), I got vet bills coming up on my dog and the funds are real tight.

I have also heard about the .22 jamming like you said. Didn't want to leave my 12G out of the safe (if I forgot to put it in the safe before work) in case someone broke in. If anyone took any of my guns I'd rather it be my .22 tact. Truthfully the only reason I bought it (Moss .22ar) was because the jerks that run this country made a stink about that kind ~ never have liked to be TOLD what to do, especially when it comes to the constitution and my rights. I can do a lot more damage with my 12G or 308.

Another reason I thought of the .22 at night was because being my age (50) my hands are stiff when I wake up and the .22's barrel and weight make it easy for me to hold. Hmmmm, do ya think I need to get my 12G with a geriatric barrel attachment?

TY Taurahe & RockinRiley for the suggestions, I really do like that gun posted you posted!

mossberg 500
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

...if you can find a Winchester 120 or 1200, they're slick and sturdy...and more inexpensive than the 1300 around here...it'll do buck or slugs...also made for Sears, I think the Sears Model # was 200...same gun...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I'm fairly new to purchasing guns but have been shooting a long time (had help w/ brother & male friends) so please don't think I'm an idiot on this.

I have a Winchester 12G BA and was told at the pawn shop it is a gas powered gun and was great for skeet which I want to learn to do. When purchasing ammo, I bought some slugs too. Now I hear that a slug needs a slug gun and that a slug will mess up my gun (a gunsmith told me this).

What is a CHEAP 12G I can get to shoot my slugs in? I'm talking under $300. I think I want a pump action because this will be a gun to keep by the door or just for safety in general.

Oh, and also, will my .22ar be a good choice for night time protection to keep by the bed? It's easy to hold and I'm thinking if I'm sleepy and it having a lot of bullets it would be good but I'm not sure?

It's a Winchester 1400, it was only $250 at the Pawn shop and it is in real good condition and shoots straight ~ love the gun but was told that you can't shoot a slug through it but today (after my post) I phoned Bass Pro and am taking my gun in for them to look at, they said you are correct in that I can use it with slugs. The man on the phone said (of course) I need to take the choke out and he also said to make sure I had the right kind of slugs??? He told me to bring the ammo in too and that they would help. I really can't afford another gun right now if it isn't a "need" (since I already got at 12G), I got vet bills coming up on my dog and the funds are real tight.

I have also heard about the .22 jamming like you said. Didn't want to leave my 12G out of the safe (if I forgot to put it in the safe before work) in case someone broke in. If anyone took any of my guns I'd rather it be my .22 tact. Truthfully the only reason I bought it (Moss .22ar) was because the jerks that run this country made a stink about that kind ~ never have liked to be TOLD what to do, especially when it comes to the constitution and my rights. I can do a lot more damage with my 12G or 308.

Another reason I thought of the .22 at night was because being my age (50) my hands are stiff when I wake up and the .22's barrel and weight make it easy for me to hold. Hmmmm, do ya think I need to get my 12G with a geriatric barrel attachment?

TY Taurahe & RockinRiley for the suggestions, I really do like that gun posted you posted!
    Gasmitty is on the money...one question...why slugs? If you are going to hunt deer they are great but for Home defense, not such a good idea. Slugs are heavy penetrators and will go through almost any common material, including bad guys. low recoil buckshot is easy to shoot, wont go through an entire house and will mess a BG up

Also, if I had to pick a 22 lr "AR" it would not be the mossberg. I owned one and was vedry disappointed. They have issues with reliable feeding, are a PIA to clean well, mine was hastily constructed at best, and accuracy was ho hum. They are based of the 702 plinkster which has all the same issues. if your works well, I am glad for you If it were me i would get a marlin model 60. 17 rnd tube fed, reliable very accurate and easy to shoot, and they look alot better too lol.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

The Win 1400 is a pretty solid gun - I think you got a good deal for $250. You can download the owner's manual here: Owners Manuals -- Winchester Repeating Arms

Unfortunately, Winchester (US Repeating Arms) has zero recommendations about ammunition, so more on that later. What I strongly recommend, though, is to go to a local skeet range and gain familiarity with the gun by shooting a couple of rounds a few weekends in a row. Getting used to the gun - especially an autoloading shotgun - within the discipline of a game forces you to learn how to "run the gun" so it becomes second nature. Your first couple of times out you'll be deliberate about each round you load, but by the time you've been through a hundred rounds your hands will know where to go and you won't even be looking at the gun when you load it.

What's also important to learn - which you won't learn at the skeet range - is how to unload the gun. Some auto shotguns you just have to cycle the rounds through the chamber, but some - and I think the 1400 is one of them - you can also unload by depressing a magazine latch down by the shell lifter/carrier (where you load the magazine). Knowing how to safely unload the gun is as importsnt as knowing how to load it.

For ammo, the basic, cheapest rifled slugs are what you'll feed this gun for defensive purposes. No magnum slugs, no "sabot" slugs, no Brenneke slugs, unless you're hunting 4-legged critters. If anything, I'd encourage you to try the "reduced recoil - law enforcement" slugs. Whichever load you choose, run a couple of boxes through your gun to confirm they cycle the action properly.

I think you'd be best served by keeping some kind of buckshot on hand, and reserve the slugs for last resort purposes. 00, 0 or #1 buckshot will inflict plenty of damage.

Hopefully the Bass Pro crew will have better advice for you than the pawn shop people!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Gasmitty is on the money...one question...why slugs? If you are going to hunt deer they are great but for Home defense, not such a good idea. Slugs are heavy penetrators and will go through almost any common material, including bad guys. low recoil buckshot is easy to shoot, wont go through an entire house and will mess a BG up
    Hi, first, I wouldn't shoot a 4 legged animal for anything unless it was rabid or a bear coming to get me. I like animals, rather eat ice cream!

Second, to answer your question I want slugs because it makes big holes! I like to go to the range or junk yard and blast stuff. It's a woman thing.....I sleep better after a day at the range.

Distinguished Member
    @ gasmitty, WOW, lots of good info ~ ty for the owners manual and the info below it. Wish I had more fellows to help at the range. Sometimes there isn't anybody out there, it's pretty much dirt piles out in the field with sometimes a few guys trying to blow up old appliances (seriously lol). Did find another range a few weeks ago and a man out there that teaches skeet, will be going there next month, he's pretty reasonable on his skeet teaching rates.

Not sure what kind of slugs I got, will have to go into the safe and see ~ didn't know there was different kinds??? To be honest I'm really winging it. My big brother was my go-to man with the guns, he just gave me the guns and said shoot after he loaded them. When he died unexpectedly in 09' there wasn't anybody to help. You fellows have been so helpful!

Why does everyone buy slugs ? Seriously. Go out and shoot some # 2 steel shot thru some steel plate, and then do the same with a 'slug' .... note the difference in the size of the holes, and then please explain to me why anyone would use a slug for defense.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

...if you rounded the corner and someone was holding your loved one, a slug might be accurate enough to do the job...I'd be holding a stick if it were loaded with buckshot...no chance of a shot...I think the option of either is good...

Hi, first, I wouldn't shoot a 4 legged animal for anything unless it was rabid or a bear coming to get me. I like animals, rather eat ice cream!

Second, to answer your question I want slugs because it makes big holes! I like to go to the range or junk yard and blast stuff. It's a woman thing.....I sleep better after a day at the range.
    I agree slugs are fun to shoot, but if you shoot a bad guy with slugs they will go through the bg, your walls, and into your neighbors housen and possibly kill an innocent person, for which you WILL be held liable. I commend you for wanting to protect yourself, but there is more to it than pull trigger go bang. Also, slugs require accuracy, which when fight or flight kicks you may not have. Do yourself a favor and get some buckshot, or some steel shot as if you want. And your shoulder will thank you too !!!

Also do not be afraid to ask questions...the carry forum is a wealth of knowledge, and not just on handguns.
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...if you rounded the corner and someone was holding your loved one, a slug might be accurate enough to do the job...I'd be holding a stick if it were loaded with buckshot...no chance of a shot...I think the option of either is good...
    this is true, but a stick still makes a good defensive weapon if you swing it hard enough. My concern is collateral damage and risk to others. in a hostage situation, the hostage is at risk no matter what. To shoot a bad guy with extreme accuracy while a loved one is hostage is a skill many do not have when panic mode sets in. Also, many assume a shotgun is point and shoot or do not practice with slugs to become proficient in their use, so it may not do them anygood anyway. IMO slugs are for skilled users, others will be better off with buckshot.
    ~Daniel Webster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links