Connecticut gunmaker looking to modify banned rifle
Posted: Apr 29, 2013 8:04 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 29, 2013 8:10 PM EDT
By Susan Raff - email
NEW BRITAIN, CT (WFSB) -
One Connecticut gun maker said it would move out of the state if lawmakers expanded the ban on assault weapons, but now that same company is taking a look at modifying the AR-15.
Before some of the toughest gun laws in the country were passed, officials with the Stag Arms in New Britain said further modifications to the AR-15 would make it impossible to sell in Connecticut.
Eyewitness News has learned that the company is working on making a modified assault weapon to fit the ban.
"We are carefully looking at the new law and there are some things we interpret to be legal," said Stag Arms owner Mark Malkowski. "We have gotten a lot of feedback from our customers and they have given us ideas for changes."
Malkowski said the company is putting together a prototype, which they plan to show the weapons unit at the state police on Friday.
Officials with Stag Arms sells AR-15s, the only product it produces, all over the United States and to other countries, but less than 5 percent of its sales are made in Connecticut.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy supported the ban, but did met with the gun manufacturers because he does not want them to leave, especially since the industry creates hundreds of jobs.
"It says gun companies will do anything to sell guns," Malloy said when recently asked about the topic. "I can't prejudge something that I haven't seen or analyze. People make things to sell them."
As for leaving Connecticut, officials with Stag Arms said it is still an option. Last week, Malkowski said he met with the governor of Texas and next week, the governor of Kansas.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.