Stag looking to modify banned rifle?

This is a discussion on Stag looking to modify banned rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone see anything on this yet? Seems Stag is looking to modify their designs to keep them legal and stay in CT... Connecticut gunmaker looking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Stag looking to modify banned rifle?

Anyone see anything on this yet? Seems Stag is looking to modify their designs to keep them legal and stay in CT...
    Connecticut gunmaker looking to modify banned rifle - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Connecticut gunmaker looking to modify banned rifle

Posted: Apr 29, 2013 8:04 PM EDT
    Updated: Apr 29, 2013 8:10 PM EDT
    By Susan Raff - email

NEW BRITAIN, CT (WFSB) -
    One Connecticut gun maker said it would move out of the state if lawmakers expanded the ban on assault weapons, but now that same company is taking a look at modifying the AR-15.

Before some of the toughest gun laws in the country were passed, officials with the Stag Arms in New Britain said further modifications to the AR-15 would make it impossible to sell in Connecticut.

Eyewitness News has learned that the company is working on making a modified assault weapon to fit the ban.

"We are carefully looking at the new law and there are some things we interpret to be legal," said Stag Arms owner Mark Malkowski. "We have gotten a lot of feedback from our customers and they have given us ideas for changes."

Malkowski said the company is putting together a prototype, which they plan to show the weapons unit at the state police on Friday.

Officials with Stag Arms sells AR-15s, the only product it produces, all over the United States and to other countries, but less than 5 percent of its sales are made in Connecticut.

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy supported the ban, but did met with the gun manufacturers because he does not want them to leave, especially since the industry creates hundreds of jobs.

"It says gun companies will do anything to sell guns," Malloy said when recently asked about the topic. "I can't prejudge something that I haven't seen or analyze. People make things to sell them."

As for leaving Connecticut, officials with Stag Arms said it is still an option. Last week, Malkowski said he met with the governor of Texas and next week, the governor of Kansas.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I know it has to be hard to move a company. You have local suppliers and a trained workforce. But, if the locality that you do business from makes it clear that they don't want you by making your product illegal, I would think it behooves them to get out. Modifying your product to appease the antis is probably not a very prudent business decision.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Doing the right thing often requires doing the more difficult thing.

I'm not happy to see them appeasing the anti's.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Come on down to Texas!

Yeah I don't know what they're trying to accomplish. The anti's are going to keep pushing for more restrictions. By modifying the design to meet the anti's current requirements, they're only postponing the innevitable. They'll just push for more restrictions that ban your modification next time. Seems to be a waste of time and money to me.
    ccw9mm and msgt/ret like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

It didn't work so well for Dicks sporting goods. I would think R & D and re-tooling could be a pretty expensive endeavor to cave to an anti state and to alienate your customers. Hopefully they see the light and move to Kansas!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Yeah I don't know what they're trying to accomplish. The anti's are going to keep pushing for more restrictions. By modifying the design to meet the anti's current requirements, they're only postponing the innevitable. They'll just push for more restrictions that ban your modification next time. Seems to be a waste of time and money to me.
    Yup. They may find re-tooling, producing a firearm that the citizens of free states are not interested in, and then finding that their modifications are banned on the next go-around was an expensive tactic.
    ccw9mm, StevePVB, rocky and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Now, I could see myself being caught off-guard when CO wanted to ban firearms, and I would hastily leave. Sorry Magpul, you guys got shafted. But in CT? ...You had to see that one coming. I would have packed up a long time ago. Staying and appeasing is pretty weak, Stag.
    BamaT and ccw9mm like this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I am hoping that this is a temporary change until they can arrange to move out of state. It could take a while to find a suitable location, move and re-install all of their equipment if they are truly manufacturing the firearms.

I think they're fighting a losing battle, remaining in the state. It's all too likely their time, efforts and money could be wasted with just a turn of the legislature's thumbscrews, negating any investment in a new design that's CT specific. For 5% of sales, I wouldn't think that route is the one most likely to result in the greatest long-term gains.

If Stag can negotiate a hard bargain with some new destination state, I would think they'd end up better. Might even see a sales bump amongst the appreciative customer base simply due to doing the hardest thing in defiance of tyranny.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    When your bluff get's called you either man up and do what you said you'd do or you end up looking like a bunch of jackwagons. Apparently Stag is going the jackwagon route.

That's why it's so important to think about what you say before you say it. Making promises you don't intend to keep will ruin you. If this happens I expect Stag to go belly up in the near future.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    When your bluff get's called you either man up and do what you said you'd do or you end up looking like a bunch of jackwagons. Apparently Stag is going the jackwagon route.

That's why it's so important to think about what you say before you say it. Making promises you don't intend to keep will ruin you.
    It also emboldens the liberty-haters and oath breakers in the legislatures, showing that the firm is willing to dance around making lemonade from lemons whenever it's dished up. Long term, that's a recipe for disaster.
    atctimmy and BamaT like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If Stag can negotiate a hard bargain with some new destination state, I would think they'd end up better. Might even see a sales bump amongst the appreciative customer base simply due to doing the hardest thing in defiance of tyranny.
    Yup. They could negotiate tax free terms, and even tax credits (as much as I loathe that concept). Land could be donated, and abandoned factories refurbished, as states such as mine are quite hungry for new industry and our Governor is actively recruiting. As ATCtimmy said, their bluff was called, and now they knuckle under in shame. Nothing that they make was on my wish list anyway, and I can only imagine the lack of national demand for their new watered-down product line.
    atctimmy likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Seems like a bad decision. Guess if this comes about I will not buy any more of their products. Too bad too they seem to make a decent rifle.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

So what happens when they come out with their "ban compliant" gun and then law changes to make it illegal again? The constant back and forth will hurt their wallet a lot more than moving facilities in the long run.

I say leave the liberty-haters to their "utopias" and haul arse to a state that respects freedom.
    msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links