Advice on SBR AR???

Advice on SBR AR???

This is a discussion on Advice on SBR AR??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, based on some experiences last night on Patrol (1st incident: pickup truck full of five very drunk adult men--two Reserve Deputies and closest backup ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio

Thread: Advice on SBR AR???

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Advice on SBR AR???

OK, based on some experiences last night on Patrol (1st incident: pickup truck full of five very drunk adult men--two Reserve Deputies and closest backup is literally 52 miles away), I've decided that I'm going to get my tax stamp and get an SBR.

I will probably buy another Aimpoint T-1,(or maybe an Eotech) but am interested in experienced thoughts on barrel lengths (advantages, disadvantages), placement of a light, manufacturers, etc.

Thanks!!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Advice on SBR AR???

11.5" will be one of the most reliable option. 40% more dwell time than a 10.5". I've had a 10.5" for years and his is the first year I've spent without one. The 11.5" just works better. If you do to 10.5", LMT seems to have it figured out, though they are still finicky compared to other lengths.

For 11.5", I prefer BCM. A KAC urx 3, LaRue, the new urx 4 when it's released, etc. are all good hand guards for it.

I've carried the 10.5" at work for a few years but this year, starting now, is the 11.5". No real difference in maneuverability between the two. I have a 9" 300 blackout that's just awesome in vehicles, but I'd never go that short for 5.56.

What's your duty ammo? If it's gold dot, TSX or similar, you give up nothing with an 11.5" in terms of terminal ballistics for 99% of LE engagements in terms of distance.
    ccw9mm and Bark'n like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

+1 for 300 BLK. It achieves a full powder burn in something like 9" I believe? Perfect for a SBR. I got a chance to fire a friends a while back and loved it.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Jon: I was just looking at the BCM website--they show an 11" and a 12" ???
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

We're you looking at the complete rifles or uppers? Some reason they refer to the 12.5" rifle as 12, so I guess it's the same for 11.5". If you're buying a complete rifle, then I'd also consider the Colt 6933. BCM is hard to beat for a fighting rifle.

Do you need an upper or rifle?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Here are the uppers.

AR-15, 11.5" Carbine Upper Group

Senior Moderator
    I tote a 10.5" on duty. For quick in and out, clearing houses, one handed holds when opening doors, its hard to beat.For the ranges that most cops enounter during shoots, it'll do what it needs to do.

The only disadvantage that I can see is the fact that it shoots a basketball sized fireball that lights up the whole world at night.

One thing about the .300 Blackout. It beats the .223 hands down in penetration and it shoots a heavier bullet which is an advantage when shooting at vehicles. Plus the fact that its the best thing going suppressed makes it pretty popular.

I'm kind of partial to the Daniel Defense or the Noveske.
    jonconsiglio likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have an LMT, but was thinking of buying the complete rifle. What about LaRue?
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    I went with a 11.5, and I'm glad I did.
    "Just blame Sixto"

+1 on the 300Blk. I have a 9inch AAC upper riding on a Noveske Gen2 Lower. Mine is built as a pistol, still waiting on the SBR tax stamp.

OK, so just a quick procedural question--on the ATF form 4, you have to list the serial number, etc.

So, how does that work if you order the NFA upper (or entire firearm) from one of the dealers and they are all out of stock/on backorder? Do you have to order it, wait until it is built and then submit the form and wait even longer??
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    OK, so just a quick procedural question--on the ATF form 4, you have to list the serial number, etc.

So, how does that work if you order the NFA upper (or entire firearm) from one of the dealers and they are all out of stock/on backorder? Do you have to order it, wait until it is built and then submit the form and wait even longer??
    You mean to SBR your current lower? You don't need an upper to start the paperwork, and you cannot assemble it until the paperwork comes back approved. You'll then have 6 or 7 months to track down the upper you want. You'll also have to have the lower engraved with your info. You do not have to do this when buying a complete rifle or having the lower SBR'd by the manufacturer like I did years ago.

If you SBR a current lower, you'll use a form 1. If you buy a complete SBR, you'll use a form 4 and no engraving will be needed.

So, continue running your lower as is, then when the paperwork comes back, you can just slap the short upper on there, or whatever length upper you want. They do like to be notified though if you said you'd have a 10.5" barrel but then decided on something different. No permission needed, they just like to have their records updated. No extra waiting is involved.

I have a bad head cold, so if I'm not making sense or left anything out, I apologize.
    HotGuns likes this.

Thanks Jon-- hope your cold gets better. (and thanks Hot Guns for the PMs last night)--I spent all morning fixing a stupid waterer for my cows--they are now happy, so I'm happy. Then spent the afternoon buying feed (big sigh) too many things and not enough money........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Sponsored Links