Need help with a Mosin-Nagent 91/30 problem w/loading

This is a discussion on Need help with a Mosin-Nagent 91/30 problem w/loading within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a Mosin-Nagent 91/30 a few years ago but never fired it until a few days ago. I was chamber loading one round at ...

Thread: Need help with a Mosin-Nagent 91/30 problem w/loading

I bought a Mosin-Nagent 91/30 a few years ago but never fired it until a few days ago. I was chamber loading one round at a time when I discovered the bolt wouldn't close. At first I thought it was the Russian ammunition I was using, so I switched to the Boxer primed Ammo I purchased and still, the problem persisted. To get a round to fire, I had to jam the bolt closed to get the ejector to latch onto the base of the casing. That quickly indicated that the ejector spring was too stiff to slide over the base of the casing. I took the gun home and put it on my work bench and removed the bolt and disassembled it to examine the ejector spring. It appears that the spring is press fitted into the ejector housing and not removable or adjustable.
    Has anyone figured out a way to correct this issue with the Mosin-Nagent 91/30? It is a shame because the gun is very accurate.

Try setting the rounds in the mag. Also make sure that you are using the 7.62 x 54r cartridges.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Mosin-Nagants do not have controlled-feed like most Mauser (and by extension, US military and hunting bolt-action) designs.

Feed from the mag and you'll be fine.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Ditto all of the above. Mosin/Nagants are made to be man-handled. Don't be afraid to slam that bolt closed and really yank it open. That's what they were designed for. Also, be sure you are loading the rounds far enough back in the magazine. If they are too far forward, that can cause feeding problems.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I load mine using stripper clips and never a problem with any type surplus ammo. Yes, I also use the slam and yank method.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links