Keep the ar or sell it?

Keep the ar or sell it?

This is a discussion on Keep the ar or sell it? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is just tossed out there to try to help me make a decision on keeping my new .22 Mossberg ar or not after seeing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Keep the ar or sell it?

Distinguished Member

Keep the ar or sell it?

This is just tossed out there to try to help me make a decision on keeping my new .22 Mossberg ar or not after seeing all the good write ups about the Henry gun. I haven't shot it yet, but the write ups on the Moss ar (on-line at gun reviews) are not that good and I'm reading where it gets jammed a lot.

I'm limited on my funds (very). How important is an ar to my collection. I can't afford one of the more powerful ar's and don't like the plastic toy like feel to this ar. If "SHTF" happens, how important is this gun since it's a .22? I thought it would be good for snake kill'en, but my 12G will take care of that. Is a .22ar that much funner than a regular .22? The 308 I got w/ scope is my favorite gun right now (Winchester) and I'm thinking the Henry .22 would be a better fit and my Dad would have fun with it too. should I bite the bullet so to speak and keep the ar and save up for the Henry or sell it and then get the Henry .22?

Most of you fellows are more seasoned with guns than I will ever be and I value your opinion.

Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    The way to find out if your gun works or not is to shoot it. It may work just fine.

Guns are like cars, now that you took it from the shop it is worth less than a brand new one. Shooting it won't hurt it's value as a used gun so you might as well see if it's a good one or not.
    OD*, Bark'n and rugergunner like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    'Another recommendation to shoot it for a while. You might find that you like it.

If you don't, sell it and get the Henry. Like atctimmy said, the rounds that you put through it will not affect its value.

Of course, I'm always a fan of having both.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

If it is a choice between the .22 AR and a Henry lever-action, I personally would sell the AR or trade it on a Henry. I just don't get the tactical .22 rifles. The Henry Golden Boy .22 magnum is one of my favorite guns for hunting small game or target practice and plinking.
    Taurahe likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

A ruger 10/22 would make a much better shtf .22 IMO. I've seen a few of those mossbergs at the range and the owners are constantly clearing jams. The ruger is reliable, and has plenty of aftermarket support including higher capacity mags...
    Kilowatt3 and Taurahe like this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Don't know much about the Mossberg .22 but a lot of people prefer a .22 AR in a meltdown scenario where .22 ammo might be more readily available and more easily carried in large quantities. I'd go with the others and say shoot it and see how it works for you before making a decision if you have any reservations at all about selling it.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I'd sell/trade the mossberg for the henry.

For SHTF defense you have a .308 and a 12 gauge. If you need a .22 for hunting or anything like that the henry will serve just as well as the mossberg. Maybe better.

You can probably get a good price for it right now too.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Distinguished Member
    I faced the same decision as you. I sold my AR for more than I paid for it and I suggest that you do the same before all those un-needed AR's that were bought in panic hit the used market. There is not even a rifle range near me to shoot it so I sold it after being bugged to sell it and an offer too good to refuse was made. :)
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Distinguished Member
    This below is where I'm leaning because like Alex said I already got the 12G & 308 and like Old_Dog said, sell it before the novelty is gone and all the others will be out for sale. Still got the second mag for 25+ in the package and it came with one just like it. Dang I'm torn, the others made sense too because it might be a blast to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I faced the same decision as you. I sold my AR for more than I paid for it and I suggest that you do the same before all those un-needed AR's that were bought in panic hit the used market. There is not even a rifle range near me to shoot it so I sold it after being bugged to sell it and an offer too good to refuse was made. :)
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

The Mossberg 22 AR is a knock-off. It is not a Tier 1 manufacturer like Colt or even Smith & Wesson. It has a reputation for jamming, and it will be worth more UN-FIRED than fired. Henry has a reputation as a world-class manufacturer. If you can break even on dumping the Mossberg, do it.

The Henry (or any other Tier 1 manufacturer) will always hold better values than the "other makers". Just building a collection, you are much better off spending a little more and getting a weapon that will hold or increase in value. The Mossie is about $325 new? And used, you'd be doing well to get $200. BUT: with the hysteria going on, you might be able to sell it with the mags and make a little profit! But sooner or later, the market will correct, and you'll be holding a $150 rifle that nobody wants!

Not so with a Henry lever!
    Taurahe likes this.

If you want a solid AR style 22....save and get a colt or s&w MP series.... the mossy is a POS. its made out of pot metal for crying out loud. The henry is a solid gun and will hold its value far better than that mossy will. And since the mossies have a reputation as junk, that value wont ever be much.
    Sister likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

And in a SHTF scenario,

Someone shooting a tactical 22LR, even tho it looks like a .223, to thwart the hordes of evil-doers is gonna piss somebody off with a real weapon, and that's not a good situation to be in. A tactical 22 Mossie is fine for plinking, teaching kids to shoot, or taking out the occasional squirrel with a bad attitude, but as was already stated, the Ruger 10/22 makes a much better choice for a survival rifle...especially if you opt for the take-down model! There are no points awarded in a survival situation for the "tacti-coolest" rifle.
    Bark'n likes this.

I would get a 10/22,it has detachable 25 or 50 round magazines,and you can get an ATI aftermarket stock with a sliding butt stock and picatinny rails for mounting a light and optics
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My recommendation would be to sell it now while prices are high! Then you can buy it back when they drop down, probably sometime in the next few years. I agree that you seem adequately equipped. If it were your only firearm, I might advise you to keep it, but because you are otherwise well-armed, sell it for three times what it's worth and then buy it back later. Make yourself a little money.

I think a .22 rifle would be good to have for a "SHTF," survival scenario, but you could do without for a few years.

VIP Member
    Good things come to those who wait.

To the uninformed, your Mossberg is "one of those scary looking black AR automatic assault rifles that spray bullets everywhere". In a true SHTF scenario the intimidation factor your "scary looking rifle" has on the uniformed could play to your advantage.

Consider holding onto the Mossberg and saving for your Henry. Make it your mission to find new ways to save every penny you can so that you can buy the Henry without selling your Mossberg. You will be surprised at how quickly your Henry savings grows...Think about having a yard sale or perhaps you have some CDs and DVDs you could sell. Maybe you can save a few dollars by switching brands when you go grocery shopping or cutting out a snack item. Maybe there is a cheaper phone plan or cable package. I called my satellite provider and told them that they needed to lower my bill without changing the services they were providing...they reduced my bill by $20 a month...That's $240 a year in saving just because I asked for it.

Your Mossberg can become a dedicated rifle for a bug out bag or a get home bag. Get a sling, screwdriver and a few rubber bands...install the sling and then unscrew the stock where it meets the receiver. Now the two pieces can be stored in just about any bag and the two pieces are tethered together by the sling. Secure the screwdriver to the stock with the rubber bands so the screwdriver will remain where it is needed. The gun will function with the stock removed so if you find yourself in a situation where quick access/use is required you can always wait for a more opportune time to attach the stock.
    Sister likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links