Problem with my new BCM Upper :(

This is a discussion on Problem with my new BCM Upper :( within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got my new BCM upper today and qas quite excited until I put it on my lower and began to hand cycle some rounds ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Problem with my new BCM Upper :(

I got my new BCM upper today and qas quite excited until I put it on my lower and began to hand cycle some rounds through it. I tried 4 different kinds of ammo. Of the 4, 2 would not cycle. 1 was reload and the other was American eagle. It would chamber the round the bolt would get stuck forward. I couldn't pull the charging handle back by hand. I had to put the edge of the charging handle over a table and tap the rifle down to create enough force to get to it extract the rounds. Here's the strange thing... I broke out my micrometer and the length of the rounds that would not cycle were the same as the ones that would. Anyone have any idea what may be going on?

This is a new record for a gun getting Rollo'd... It hasn't even been fired yet :(
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Rollo, Rollo, Rollo. What to say?

I suggest if I may, that hand cycling is not a good indicator of actually performance.

And when one gets stuck, with the weapon on safe, slam the but against the ground while at the same time pulling back on the charging handle.
    gasmitty, OD* and jbum like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

You'll be fine. Shoot it. Hand cycling is the cause of many sleepless nights for absolutely zero reason.

In addition to what Glockman said, be sure to collapse the stock fully or it can break the latch. A local idiot got his finger caught that way and posted it on YouTube under "CTR Fail", though it should have been "Moron breaks CTR".

Put 100 rounds through it and see what happens. Anodizing and parkerizing needs worn down, parts need to set a bit, edges need deburred, etc.

Edit Glockman, when are y'all coming down this way?
    gasmitty likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

As Gm an and Jon said, try it on a range and see if it functions with live ammo.

IF not, then you should worry.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ok guys, thanks for the info. I will stop freaking out until I get some rounds through it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Awwwwww, MAN!!!

You broke it ALREADY???
    Eagleks and jbum like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Definitely defective and dangerous. Send the complete rifle to me for immediate disposal. I charge a very nominal fee :D

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    You'll be fine. Shoot it. Hand cycling is the cause of many sleepless nights for absolutely zero reason.

In addition to what Glockman said, be sure to collapse the stock fully or it can break the latch. A local idiot got his finger caught that way and posted it on YouTube under "CTR Fail", though it should have been "Moron breaks CTR".

Put 100 rounds through it and see what happens. Anodizing and parkerizing needs worn down, parts need to set a bit, edges need deburred, etc.

Edit Glockman, when are y'all coming down this way?
    Will be leaving here next Friday. Hope to see you on Monday or Tuesday. It will only be an hours drive from where we will be to CC.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Just a note... There's nothing gentle about manipulating an AR. Lock the bolt to the rear, insert a mag and press the bolt release. When you remove the mag and there's still a round in the chamber, pull the charging handle HARD to the rear. It'll stop when it needs to. Then, don't follow the charging handle, pull back more and let your hand slip off, it'll go forward on its own.

Don't ever let the charging handle forward slowly. Pull back off and let it slam home. Live or dry, doesn't matter. When doing this, pinch the left side of the charging handle with your left hand. Index finger on the latch and thumb on the back. Pull back hard. Keep your firing hand on the grip. The only time you'll ever take it off for weapons manipulation is when you need to lock the bolt to the rear. Then you use your left hand around the front of the magwell with your thumb on the bottom of the bolt release. Then your firing hand will pull the charging handle hard to the rear to lock it back.

If the round is suck in the chamber, pull harder. If that doesn't work, collapse the stock and slam it on the ground with your hand on the charging handle attempting to pull back. If that doesn't work, use your foot on the charging handle or stomp it. Had to do it twice with a DPMS about 8 years ago.

Hand cycling will give you nightmares. Don't do it!
    varob likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Will be leaving here next Friday. Hope to see you on Monday or Tuesday. It will only be an hours drive from where we will be to CC.
    Sounds good brother.

Just a note... There's nothing gentle about manipulating an AR. Lock the bolt to the rear, insert a mag and press the bolt release. When you remove the mag and there's still a round in the chamber, pull the charging handle HARD to the rear. It'll stop when it needs to. Then, don't follow the charging handle, pull back more and let your hand slip off, it'll go forward on its own.

Don't ever let the charging handle forward slowly. Pull back off and let it slam home. Live or dry, doesn't matter. When doing this, pinch the left side of the charging handle with your left hand. Index finger on the latch and thumb on the back. Pull back hard. Keep your firing hand on the grip. The only time you'll ever take it off for weapons manipulation is when you need to lock the bolt to the rear. Then you use your left hand around the front of the magwell with your thumb on the bottom of the bolt release. Then your firing hand will pull the charging handle hard to the rear to lock it back.

If the round is suck in the chamber, pull harder. If that doesn't work, collapse the stock and slam it on the ground with your hand on the charging handle attempting to pull back. If that doesn't work, use your foot on the charging handle or stomp it. Had to do it twice with a DPMS about 8 years ago.

Hand cycling will give you nightmares. Don't do it!
    The round stuck in the chamber is the issue that I am encountering. It's happening with all of my reloads and one other name brand type of ammo. I'll put it away and stop hand cycling until I get a chance to put some rounds through it.

Have you cleaned the chamber yet? Not the barrel, but the carrier group and chamber?

Have you cleaned the chamber yet? Not the barrel, but the carrier group and chamber?
    Ug... I am embarrassed to admit it but I didn't... The thing came covered in lube so I didn't really think about it. Ill go clean it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The round stuck in the chamber is the issue that I am encountering. It's happening with all of my reloads and one other name brand type of ammo. I'll put it away and stop hand cycling until I get a chance to put some rounds through it.
    Rollo, are you crimping the hand loads? If you are don't when using in an AR chamber.
    Also, make sure the round is seated to the minimum OAL.
    Barnes bullets are bad for this because of the longer bearing surface necessary to make weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Ug... I am embarrassed to admit it but I didn't... The thing came covered in lube so I didn't really think about it. Ill go clean it now.
    Clean it now then try again. Still might do it though. I don't know if hand loads would be what I'd use to assure proper function.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links