First Bolt Gun

First Bolt Gun

This is a discussion on First Bolt Gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got this thing in last week. Paid just over 300 dollars for it in 30-06. Looking to pick up a Vortex Crossfire scope soon ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By slidewayz240
  • 2 Post By JJVP
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Boudin

Thread: First Bolt Gun

First Bolt Gun

Just got this thing in last week. Paid just over 300 dollars for it in 30-06. Looking to pick up a Vortex Crossfire scope soon and see how it does. Range Report to come.

Last edited by slidewayz240; May 10th, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
    atctimmy, bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.

Looking at the title I though it was some kind of new death ray handgun.

I got one of those for my youngest son last year for Christmas. Also in 30.06.
    Taurahe and slidewayz240 like this.

That is actually quite sharp looking. I am a savage fan but i would love to hear how it shoots. I wouldnt mind one in .243 in the compact version for coyote hunting and varmints, and zombie defense as well. If they would make on in .44 mag so i could use it for deer i would buy one tomorrow.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    Looking at the title I though it was some kind of new death ray handgun.

I got one of those for my youngest son last year for Christmas. Also in 30.06.
    haha, I was so excited to post this thing that I forgot to spell check. I'm excited to shoot it. I am thinking about popping open the stock and seeing if I can fill it with some sort of epoxy. The gun is super light, much lighter than anticipated actually, and I think a little weight inside of the hollowed out stock might help even this thing out. From the first look, I am very impressed with this thing.

And as for choice, it was a tossup between this and the savage. But everyone that I saw review it, said this thing takes the best of the savage's and the remington entry level guns and put it all together in here. It has Savages "accutrigger" type trigger and can be adjusted down to ~3.5 pounds so I think this thing will suit me well. I have a 700+ yard range at my disposal so I will definitely put this thing through its paces.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    About ten rounds into your range session you'll figure out the meaning of "Light ain't right"!

Years back I "lightened" my Rem 700 .30-06. Felt great in the hand, not so much in cheek and jaw once I put a few rounds thru it. Put the weight and then some back in, and not 50-60 rounds at teh bench is nothing.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

CSL
    Looks fun. Enjoy!
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    haha, I was so excited to post this thing that I forgot to spell check. I'm excited to shoot it. I am thinking about popping open the stock and seeing if I can fill it with some sort of epoxy. The gun is super light, much lighter than anticipated actually, and I think a little weight inside of the hollowed out stock might help even this thing out. From the first look, I am very impressed with this thing.

And as for choice, it was a tossup between this and the savage. But everyone that I saw review it, said this thing takes the best of the savage's and the remington entry level guns and put it all together in here. It has Savages "accutrigger" type trigger and can be adjusted down to ~3.5 pounds so I think this thing will suit me well. I have a 700+ yard range at my disposal so I will definitely put this thing through its paces.
    Funny you mention Savage. I have a Savage 116 in 30.06. Love it. Just ordered a Boyd's wood stock to replace the synthetic stock.

You can fill the voids in that stock with expanding foam and it will add a bit of weight and it will feel much more solid. I hate the Tupperware stocks that come on most rifles nowadays.
    That being said, everybody I know that has one of those says it's a shooter.
    slidewayz240 likes this.

Saw the title and thought you might be talking about a captive bolt gun. I guess that could be an interesting option for SD. Very short range, but effective!

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Great choice! My buddy picked up one this fall in .243. I helped him sight it in. It shot 1/2" groups and had a very good trigger, made in USA, and was reasonably priced!

Alright long overdue update. Finally got home from deployment in June and got to fire this thing. 30-06 as light as it is, is incredibly painful! I got about 9 rounds out of it before I had to pack it up and say "until next time"
    I put a walmart blackhawk bipod and a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. Essentially making this gun completely from walmart.

But as I said before, this gun was incredibly painful to shoot. I ended up finding a "bolt on" custom muzzle brake from Witt Machine. Made the necessary measurements and got it in the mail in about 3-4 weeks for under a hundred dollars.

After that I was able to take it to the range about 3 weeks ago. The difference the muzzle brake made was huge. It is very effective as venting the gasses in every direction but forward sending the recoil straight back to the shooter. I got this rifle zeroed in under 10 minutes from a hundred yards. It was drilling holes one on top of the other. My buddy and I took the rifle all the way out to 200, 300 and 600 yards shooting both steel and paper with 165 and 180 grain Remington Core Lokt ammo. At 300 yards there was no worries about wind or drift and with a little compensation of about 1.5 inches, the rifle was hitting head shots no problem on paper as well as ringing steel. At 600 yards we had to factor in about 5 inches of drift because of wind. But after that, we still had zero issues ringing steel and getting COM shots on target. For a 350 dollar rifle from walmart with a Cheap wal mart scope, I am VERY impressed with this thing. So much so that the guys we train with from 2nd Recon enjoyed firing it and were blown away at how smooth the action was and how accurate it is. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a cheap rifle that can reach out and touch something.

Here are some images of me and my buddy firing it.
    As you can see here, the brake does one hell of a job.

And a video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...13866519&saved

Congrats on a solid setup! These things seem to be a great value, glad that you're enjoying it!

Sponsored Links