12 Ga 2.25" Buckshot rounds

This is a discussion on 12 Ga 2.25" Buckshot rounds within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone here used 2.25" Buckshot rounds in a pump gun? Early this week I had to take a trip to the other side of ...

Thread: 12 Ga 2.25" Buckshot rounds

Has anyone here used 2.25" Buckshot rounds in a pump gun? Early this week I had to take a trip to the other side of the state to visit my mom in the hospital (great outcome, fortunately!). While waiting on a battery of tests I decided to kill some time in the Cabela's store since there isn't one where I live. They had more ammo than I've seen in one place in a year!

At any rate they had some "mini rounds" 12 gauge buckshot. The rounds are 2.25" and fire six pellets of 00 buck at 1250 fps. Not being a big shotgunner I will admit to never having seen anything shorter than the standard 2.75" rounds. A ten round box was $8 so I thought "what the heck" and bought three boxes.

So I would like to inquire, has anyone here used them in a pump? I have a Remington 870 Tactical. I'm thinking the odds are good they'll run okay, and if not I'm only out $25 bucks.

My next question is, assuming they run thru my Remmy reliably, do they seem like a viable HD choice or a solution in search of a problem? On the one hand they give up some payload vs. a standard nine-pellet buckshot round. On the other hand, six 00 pellets should still pack a wallup at the bad-breath-range I would encounter in my house. And I expect that my 7 shot tube should hold 8 or even 9 rounds of the 2.25" stuff.

I realize there's no need to reinvent the wheel, and the standard stuff has been getting the job done for many years. Just curious what you shotgun guys think of the potential of the round (again, if it runs in my gun).
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

...you didn't name a brand, but I've got some experience with the Aguila mini-slugs and mini-shells from Mexico...I once owned a Winchester 1200 beatup police riot gun that fed them very well...let that one escape me and since then I've bought a Winch 1300 and two more 1200s, none of which feed them reliably...

...the manufacturer says they'll feed in the 1300 Winchester and several others, with the modification kit which changes the carrier...except the So. Tx importer I bought the ammo from never heard of the "kits" and admitted most shotguns won't feed them...I love the idea of a high round count and less recoil, but reliable feeding's a must...I gave over 100 rds. to my buddy who has a double 311...I won't try to use them again...

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    They will work great in my Stoeger double barrel

Sponsored Links