Gander Mtn ar-15 question

This is a discussion on Gander Mtn ar-15 question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; a gander mtn firearms supercenter just opened up down the road from me. went to check it out this weekend and wow, its amazing, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Gander Mtn ar-15 question

a gander mtn firearms supercenter just opened up down the road from me. went to check it out this weekend and wow, its amazing, so so many guns. to the question, i have always heard from here and others that the colt ars are a better quality than smith and wesson but the man i was dealing with was basically saying they are the same quality or the smiths are better. i just wanted to know if there is truth to this because i would think they would want people to buy the more expensive gun since the colt is more expensive than the smith or is there the chance the get incentives or something from smith n wesson to push their pruducts?
    ruger91

NRA member

In the research that I have done I would buy the Colt. I am under the impression that they are not the same and I have generally seen the M&P series of AR15 for a few hundo less. Not that I know, as I do not even own an AR15, but there has to be a reason and I doubt it is just the name. JMO. Get one of each!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

thanks for the reply i was at the understanding that colt was a little better as well. i wonder if they have a deal with smith n wesson to push their product.
    ruger91

NRA member

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Out of the two, I'd go with Colt, but I haven't heard many bad things about the S&W AR's.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Go with the Colt.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

thanks for the replies. my uncle is the one thats buying he and my cousin were in town so we did a little family outing to Gander Mtn. i told him to get a colt since he didnt care about price but then they guy was telling him to get a smith. i was suprised to find out that colt only has a 1 yr limited warranty and smith has a lifetime warranty.
    ruger91

NRA member

Use the search function and you'll find a lot of posts similar to yours. You're going to plunk down a good chunk of change so make an informed choice.

Start here:
    AR-15 brand recommendations

Member jonconsiglio is one of the most knowledgeable AR guys on here and he offers solid advice.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

As a rule, and there are exceptions, don't put too much stock in the opinions of gun counter jockeys.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    As a rule, and there are exceptions, don't put too much stock in the opinions of gun counter jockeys.
    exaclty what i think. does anyone know if gander mtn has a deal with smith? that was pretty much my main question.
    ruger91

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Use the search function and you'll find a lot of posts similar to yours. You're going to plunk down a good chunk of change so make an informed choice.

Start here:
    AR-15 brand recommendations

Member jonconsiglio is one of the most knowledgeable AR guys on here and he offers solid advice.
    thanks for the feedback gasmitty, the Ar isnt for me my uncle is on the market but i will check out the link. i really also wanted to know if anyone knows if gander mtn has a deal or somthing with smith to push their products?

i would like to here what jonconsiglio thinks aswell.

thanks for the replies.
    ruger91

NRA member

Sponsor
    Gander Mountain, Dicks, Cabella's, etc. as well as more than a few private dealers are going to push what ever they have the most of in stock or whatever they will make the highest profit margin on if all else is equal.

Have your uncle do his research and determine exactly what features he wants/needs and buy the AR that has those at the best price.

Colt is quality, at a price. Smith and Wesson is also quality, at a different price. The quality is not equal but comparable as are the prices.

As said earlier, look at jonconsiglio's array of posts/threads for some very good info.
    kaikane0812 likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    I have to warn you. I have never seen a firearm at Gander Mountain even close to a fair price. They are greasy price gouging rats.....on guns. I have seen them have decent prices on other stuff, just not guns (or ammo).

As far as Colt VS S&W goes it's like this. Colt is the industry standard. Everyone is compared to them. They make the guns for the military and if you buy a Colt 6920 you are getting as close to what our soldiers carry as you can get (except you'll have a 16 inch barrel instead of a 14.5). If you are wanting a great duty gun and want to buy once colt is where it's at.

S&W also makes a nice product but they aren't quite on par with Colt in their spec sheet. That doesn't mean they are junk, a TON of people own them and I have never heard of anyone that didn't love their M&P. I have one that is well over 2K in the round count and it runs like a Swiss watch. M&Ps are very good guns, they just aren't a Colt. If you are a weekend warrior and just plan to punch holes in paper then the M&P would be a good buy.

What it really comes down to is price/value. If you can get the M&P cheap then I'd go that route. If you are paying close to the same dollar amount as a Colt then go Colt. A colt 6920 can be had for around $1200 to $1300 dollars. You should be able to score the M&P 15 for around $950 to $1050. At those prices my opinion is that BOTH guns are worth the money. If you are paying more than that you should shop elsewhere.
    sammage and Taurahe like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

thanks for all the feedback ill pass the info along.

@ atctimmy, i could see that being true, this is their "firearm supercenter" that just opened up so i think they have deals going on which so thats probably why they had such good prices when i went. they had better prices to the same price on all types of guns but again that was probably just because the sale.
    atctimmy likes this.
    ruger91

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    thanks for the reply i was at the understanding that colt was a little better as well. i wonder if they have a deal with smith n wesson to push their product.
    Actually, the S&W's probably have a better profit margin.

And I'd also go with the Colt.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links