Lever Action only option for 357 mag rifle?

This is a discussion on Lever Action only option for 357 mag rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rethinking my edc and if buy a rifle one day - for several reasons thinking of going to 357 mag for my edc and if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Lever Action only option for 357 mag rifle?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Lever Action only option for 357 mag rifle?

Rethinking my edc and if buy a rifle one day - for several reasons thinking of going to 357 mag for my edc and if I do - maybe the rifle I choose to be chambered in same 357 mag.
    Looking around appears that to get a rifle in 357 mag it's gonna have to be a lever action - which I might be fine with - just wondering if there are any other rifles out there besides lever action chambered for the 357 mag?

Links appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

It's too bad Ruger never made a .357 model of their Deerfield carbine...that would make a nice, handy little rifle.
    ArmyCop, Snub44 and Cory1022 like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The levergun run correctly can be quite devastating, especially a 357 magnum with 10 rounds on tap. Ballistically the 357 magnum in a rifle is almost as powerful as a 30-30.

Top Gun - Fastest Cowboy Action Shooter - YouTube
    BugDude likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Distinguished Member
    Does nobody make a revolving carbines anymore?

For those that's aren't familiar, it's essentially a looooong barreled revolver with a stock replacing the grips.

It's a very neat concept. The one problem I'm familiar with is the fact that you're moving that cylinder gap alongside your support arm and close to your face.

edit: Looks like Rossi has a line of 'em. Not available in .357mag that I can tell, though.

VIP Member
    I have owned both the Marlin lever and the Ruger bolt action in 357. Ruger is the one I still have. Solid, reliable, light, and very accurate.

...a friend of mine has the SS version here...loves it Rossi USA

...Beretta made a Gold Rush pump .357, I think by Uberti...don't know if it's still produced...
    ...IMI Timberwolf likewise...

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Does nobody make a revolving carbines anymore?

For those that's aren't familiar, it's essentially a looooong barreled revolver with a stock replacing the grips.

It's a very neat concept. The one problem I'm familiar with is the fact that you're moving that cylinder gap alongside your support arm and close to your face.

edit: Looks like Rossi has a line of 'em. Not available in .357mag that I can tell, though.

I'd LOVE to have one of those in 357 mag!
    For God, Family and Country!

Nothing like a good lever gun! Got a Marlin 336 in 30-30 but will get another lever action In .357 mag as well to compliment the GP100. I do not have a vast knowledge of brands and models but for as long as they have been made you should be able to find some great ones, no problem.

Let us know what you get!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Nothing like a good lever gun! Got a Marlin 336 in 30-30 but will get another lever action In .357 mag as well to compliment the GP100. I do not have a vast knowledge of brands and models but for as long as they have been made you should be able to find some great ones, no problem.

Let us know what you get!
    I have a Winchester '94 in 30-30 and I have never held a gun that I could have up and on target more quickly from day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    The levergun run correctly can be quite devastating, especially a 357 magnum with 10 rounds on tap. Ballistically the 357 magnum in a rifle is almost as powerful as a 30-30.

Top Gun - Fastest Cowboy Action Shooter - YouTube
    Not quite "almost"

Lever-Action Ballistics: .30-30 vs. .357 Magnum | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

OP - the lever gun has the significant advantage of being able to be topped off on the fly
    40Bob, Taurahe and Snub44 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Not quite "almost"

Lever-Action Ballistics: .30-30 vs. .357 Magnum | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

OP - the lever gun has the significant advantage of being able to be topped off on the fly
    Buffalo Bore also claims that their “Heavy” .357 Magnum hard cast 158-grain loads will produce 2153 fps and 1626 lb-ft from an 18″ carbine. This would place it in the middle of the pack for .30-30 ballistics, at least within 100 yards, at a cost about equal to premium .30-30 ammo.
    With handloads it closes the gap.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

I'm a huge proponent of lever rifles chambered in common pistol rounds. They are good (adequate) platforms defensively and proven in hunting situations.

I like the old side-by-side coach guns too...... in capable, practiced hands they both are devastating defensive platforms.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

blitzburgh likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I hate to admit this, being a hand loader and all, but the Buffalo Bore or Double Tap offerings are hard to beat, even thru handloads.
    The reason is that they do something that we cannot; blend powders to achieve greater velocities without raising pressures to over limits.

However, even with factory fodder, the 357 carbine turns from a vicious animal it is in revolver form to an almighty beast when fired from a rifle.

Of course, it will never beat a 30-30 loaded to its best, but there is something to be said for a 35 caliber rifle.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links