Which AK 74 to get?

This is a discussion on Which AK 74 to get? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I definately want to keep it under one 1k. I think id prefer a chrome line barrel due to the corosive ammo, in a SHTD ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which AK 74 to get?

Which AK 74 to get?

I definately want to keep it under one 1k. I think id prefer a chrome line barrel due to the corosive ammo, in a SHTD scenario it may be useful if I can't clean the gun right a way or something and I think it would help with barrel life.

Current pricing it looks like this ($150-200 or so above last year on most it seems)

Century Tantal (non chrome lined) $600 (i herd they fixed the barrel issues that was cuasing keyholeing but i think id wait to get his again for less down the road)

Waffen Works for $800 it seems like they have close to the propper twist of 1:8 and is chromed lined (currently comes with 1 to 4 tapco mags)

ARAK for $875 basicaly the same as Waffen Works but it comes with 1 surplus mag

I leaning towards the Waffen Works unless the ARAK is less than $40 more because thats what the surplus mag cost is, if you value tapco at $0.

I had tapco mags for my SKS and they were ok I guess, I have been reading quite a bit on AK74 mags thou and most stay stay away from anything that is 100% us made.

I ordered 3 Molot 45rnd Bakelite RPK mags (W/removable 15rnd resricters) and a 30rd brown polymer bulgarian surplus mag today from Aim Surplus.

I have 7.62x39 and 308 semi autos but I they are 9 and 13lbs guns I want something a bit lighter and Id like to add more cheap calibers.

Even in todays prices plus shipping 1080 rounds would be under $220 and thats not bad.

Anyone have luck with polish steel mags in a waffen works receiver? It might nice to have 1 or 3 incase the others break.
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I too would enjoy an AK education! I bought a I.O. Tech simply because it was available with zero shopping or learning before my purchase.

I would recommend the Saiga myself. One thing about them though is that they take a propietary mag, although they can be adapted to use any. I have a Saiga AK47 and it has never had so much as a hiccup ever.

I already bought mags so saiga is not a likely option and i prefer an ak74 closer to mil spec vs a an ak sporter in 5.45x39

If i went for a saiga or vepr id probaly go for 12g or maybe 308
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

I'm curious about those Waffen Works too. Prices still seem high. Who knows maybe those are just the new prices now. The surplus ammo has gone up but remains cheap in relation to many other rounds.

I went the saiga way. Fun project rifles that run very well. The 5.45's take milsurp mags without modification unlike the 7.62's. Have a few Bulgy, Izzy and a couple of the RPK 45's that run fine.
    Last edited by zero; May 30th, 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Not sure on current Saiga prices in 5.45 i havnt seen one. Arsenal prices are up 2-300 and waffen is up 150-200

They were $650 it looks like now the cheapest ive seen is 800 with 4 tapco mags and case.

$150 isnt to bad of a mark up I guess but i may just order some ammo instead for now

I bought 270 rounds of monarch which is basicaly brown bear since its laquer coated and barnaul made
    So i can shoot without cleaning if needed

I curious if surplus ammo will go fully back down in price

Looks like many of the Saigas have a bullet guide installed for the mil spec mags and they come with hammer forged barrels?

I want an AK too, probably looking at a 74. Need to do a lot of research and learning though.

The sportster models (unconverted) do not have a bullet guide. Some put one in if the last round doesn't feed properly. The RPK 45rd mags don't seem to have that issue. No modification to the mag latch is required for the 5.45's (unlike the 7.62's...which also need a bullet guide no matter what).

Saigas are new Russian Izhmash AK's (chrome barrel etc) with a configuration for importation. I see more already restored back to original configuration for sale now (if you can find any in stock).

Had the pic of my 5.45's on before and took it down to not stray from the OP.

The buying frenzy and price gouging stalled my hobby of converting Saiga's (kind of pisses me off too). Suppose a half dozen is better than none.

Keep hearing more are on the way to the USA but haven't seen any at the regular vendors yet. The GB prices are too high. Deals are out there to be found with patience. I'm convinced the $299 rifles are a thing of the past though. For more info on Saiga's check out forum.Saiga-12.com

Have heard the Bulgies that are around now have the correct barrel which solved the whole keyhole issue. Still curious about those Waffen Works rifles.

Good luck.

Well I might be a bit of a snob on this topic but I wont buy anything but Yugos. When I bought my first AK years ago I was lucky enough to meet a dealer that had Yugos, Romanians and WASRs. I asked him the difference. He handed me the WASR, had me drop a mag into it and cycle the action. I commented it seemed sloppy. He then handed me a Romanian and I did the same thing. I told him it was better but still a little 'loose', he then handed me a Yugo and the difference was just amazing. Tight, crisp action and a great feel about it.

Since then I have bought nothing but them. I have 2 fixed stock, 2 underfolder and a Yugo Krinkov that I SBR'd. Also have virgin kits for another Krink, an underfolder, a fixed stock and a Yugo RPG.

If you can afford them (they have gotten expensive lately) I would recommend them highly. No they don't have a chrome lined barrel but then again I don't buy corrosive ammo.
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

Im ordering the waffen werks monday and we see how it goes, it comes with 4 tapco mags, i have already bought 1 russian plum, 3 bulgarian brown, 3 russian rpk bakelite mags,
    2160 surplus and 270 monarch (brown bear equiv)

Good deal on ordering. Congrats.

Let us know how she works out. Funny...I had mags and ammo before the 5.45 rifle too.

Nice guns, I'll see if I can hit 100 yards with the stock rear sight, with the SKS I can't after I took it off and put it back on so maybe I messed it up but with the rear tech sight it groups pretty decent, I'm hoping to run factoryu sights on the ak but we will see.

Also buying a Saiga 12 today.

VIP Member
    I personally like Arsenal's and converting MAK 90's. Both are great and built extremely well.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by GregDepot View Post
    Also buying a Saiga 12 today.
    Very cool on the S12 acquisition. That thing will put a smile on your face. Mine took some work to make it run fiercely. Have an unconverted sleeper in the safe too.

Should contact Hot Guns. He knows a thing or two about S12's (SBS's too).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links