comfortable range for target

This is a discussion on comfortable range for target within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is your Max range to engage a target at with a rifle?? obviously it depends a lot on you set up so list that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: comfortable range for target

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

What is your Max range to engage a target at with a rifle?? obviously it depends a lot on you set up so list that as well.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

1000-1200...gotta have the equipment for it Realistically though you need everything perfect for that.

EDIT: Comftorably....300-700 yds.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    For hunting, I don't shoot much past 150 yards. I'm hardly starving to death and don't need the meat that bad.

For target shooting, I'm okay out to 300 yards. I'm not a doper, but am proficient with Kentucky windage.

depends on my weapon platform. ..270 i am good to about 250-300 yds. 30-30...125-150.... AR15.... 275-300 ish.... these are all hunting distances and relevant to my chosen sighting system.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    My .308 Remington is uber-reliable out to 800 yards, and less so out to 1000. At those ranges, knowing the distance and wind speed/direction is much more important than anything going on with the rifle or shooter.
    bmcgilvray, atctimmy and airslot like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I've competed to 600 yards and shot to infinity. Mike1956 speaks truth.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My .308 Remington is uber-reliable out to 800 yards, and less so out to 1000. At those ranges, knowing the distance and wind speed/direction is much more important than anything going on with the rifle or shooter.
    My passion is long range shooting. Knowing the wind elevation and ballistics is the most important and then having the equipment to handle it helps! I shoot for sport not meat so I enjoy only the long shots.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    I guess it would depend on whether or not I could escape and evade. If it was only 100 yds but I was in a good position to scoot I would do so without a pressing reason to engage.

With .223/5.56 I'd say about 600. With my .308 I'd say out to 1000.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

...but am proficient with Kentucky windage.
    Henceforth, please use Palmetto Windage. With Steve Spurrier in South Carolina, you've got plenty of wind blowin' around!
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It does depend on weapons systems.

But I am comfortable with 500 yards or so with an AR.

Furthest I have ever shot (purposefully) was somewhere in the 1000-1200 yard range. But that was with a tripod mounted Ma Deuce. But I was hitting vehicle sized targets at that range.

It also depends on if we are talking about engaging a point target or area target.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    160 or 170 FEET... yes, I suck!
    atctimmy likes this.

It depends on you. For myself, 500 yards with an AR, and farther out with a different platform and optics.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The ranges I go to. Ill shoot to about 300 yards max. And the rifles I own are good for that distance.

With my .308, 300-500 yards. In .223 configuration, just in my experience, I find this bullet to get a bit squirrelly past 300 yards. However, Mike1956 above said it best.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

With the big hammer, if I have all my goodies out range finder bench etc. I am a happy camper out to around 1500yards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links