AK or AR-15

AK or AR-15

This is a discussion on AK or AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks to the election I've decided to start thinking about a defensive rifle just incase they do something stupid and I can't get one later. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK or AR-15

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

AK or AR-15

Thanks to the election I've decided to start thinking about a defensive rifle just incase they do something stupid and I can't get one later.

Here's the pros I see for the AK It is relatively Cheap (local gunshop says that can get one in for around $500), not everyone shoots it here in the states, the fold a way stock would make it great for a pick-up gun. Bigger caliber than .223 Remington.

Pros for the 15: easy to work on, can customize to own taste, Low recoil

Cons for AK: Doesn't tear down as well as the 15,
    cost of ammo, can't customize as well.

Cons for the 15-or the M-4: PRICE, I'm not sure I want to shell out more than a grand for a .223 Rifle,

Looking for your guy's $1.50 worth of advise, thanks.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Get both if you can afford it............best of both worlds..think the words.........."good investment" for when they attempt to grab the hi cap guns again...............Pssssssssssst.............don' t forget the hi cap pistol mags.................they sure go sky high real quick..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Both.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    If you are already willing to spend the $$$$ for the 15, I would suggest getting an AK with a few miles on it. Then spend the difference on customizing the AK.... But I don't own either rifle so I'm certainly no authority.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    I'm not sure I want to shell out more than a grand for a .223 Rifle,
    If you do some looking around, you could possibly get both for under a grand. Now mind you, we aren't talking Rock River Arms or a Limited Edition sereal numbered AK with Krinkov comp. I've seen bare bones basic AR's go for $600 - $700 and just today, I held in my hands an AK (sorry I don't know who made it) for $325 at a gunshow.

If you are looking for a "defensive" rifle, I have always been a firm believer that you use the rifle that is indigenous to that area. You don't want to be the only guy using a rifle that has hard to get ammo, oddball parts that you cannot replace or hard to fabricate. One of the benifits of using a rifle that everyone else on your block has, is if you need to, you can acquire spare parts should your rifle go down, or ammo if you need it. There are A LOT of Americans that own AR's and AK's so you should be somewhat alright from selecting between those two.
    I'm not an AK expert. I have shot them and disassembled them. You can pick up 640 rounds of 7.62 X 39 for a little over $100. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=205292 I don't know if you can find 7.62 X 39 at Walmart, but it is available. Disassembling it is just as easy as the AR. You press in the receiver disassembly button (or whatever it's called) remove the receiver cover, remove the bolt carrier group, and then remove the gas tube.

If you are on a budget and can only select between the two, I suggest you pick up an AK. If you plan on picking something up that has "reselling value" later on, get an AR.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Couple of thoughts about your post.(AK vs AR)

To me an AK comes apart easier than an AR. (I own several of both)

You can pick up a AR for the 6-7C$ as mentioned above so don't let that stop you.

The AK is very easy to work on also. But make sure that you check on parts availability for either weapon. Also whatever weapon you decide on,start picking up parts NOW ! Especially mags and the other things that might start dissappearing or gettin' expensive.

The AK ammo is as cheap as the AR ammo AND (If it matters to you) the AK hits harder out further.

If you want customizing,you can definately do/find more for a AR. I'm not sure that all that stuff is needed but to each their own.

When you start diggin' in to the aftermarket parts suppliers for either weapon,you will find plenty of places to get 'bout anything you want for either.

Check out the Carbon series of Bushmasters. I got one and they are great.

Going to gunshow in a couple of hours. Will let you know what I see. ------Edit to add: lots more ammo choices for an AR.

Lead Moderator
    also, AR will be more accurate than the AK at 100 + yrds. AR allows you to carry more ammo. Faster follow up shots(less recoil)

AK shoots a bigger bullet. Known for reliable action in any climate, weather, ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    i bought a bush master for around 700 and then bought 10 mags and a sling came with a handal mounted iluminated scope have shot 500 rounds trough it this week and shoots great un like an ak an ar needs cleaning after asession and lube to function the bushy seems to operate better than my issue m16 did back in the day but i dont know why this seems to be the case

I have both an AK and a AR and like them both. I did not purchase top of the line in either of them, got bothe for $800, $300 for my SAR-1 and $500 for my Olympic Arms.

Both have been great with NO problems with either of them. I have over 2K rds thru each of them. All Wolf thru the AK and a mix thru the AR.
    02PSD4ME

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I currently own an AK ban varient. My motivation was for the training value (when my m-16 breaks/goes empty, there ought to be a few AKs lying around)

I prefer the M-16/AR-15 simply because of my level of experience. I've taken the AK out a few times and put quite a few rounds through, but the M-16 I know like my tounge knows the roof of my mouth. I've fired that thing thousands upon thousands of times, I've read all the manuals, I've done force on force training, I've fired at moving targets, fired while a moving target, broken it down and cleaned it for hours at a time. There have been days where all I did was clean my rifle.

Beyond this, I consider the following factors:

AR-15
    1. More time and training is requied to become proficent (it is a more complicated machine)
    2. Greater initial cost
    3. More prone to stoppage (not a real problem except in extreme conditions an/or poor maintenance)
    4. Folding stock is not practical

AK
    1. Less accurate
    2. Louder (firing and the movement of it's parts)
    3. Fewer custom parts available
    4. Inferior accessory mounting options
    5. More prone to snag on clothing, etc
    6. Unless SHTF=the commies invading, there will probably be more M-16s lying around than AKs (and more 5.56 than 7.62)

If the ammo is a worry, you can always get an AR in 7.62x39 (or .22, 9mm, .40, .45, 6.8mm, .50 beowulf, .50 BMG, and a plethora of others) or and AR-10 in .308.
    Last edited by Daddy Warcrimes; November 19th, 2006 at 03:52 PM.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    6. Unless SHTF=the commies invading, there will probably be more M-16 lying around than AKs (and more 5.56 than 7.62)
    This is one thing that's always amused me, because I used to think it too.

Look I love to hold up my AK47 and shout "Wolverines!" as much as anybody, but if that scenario actually did unfold, any American civilians would be quickly told to disarm and report to the labor camp. Not by the invaders, but by our own government.

The military would not like the idea of armed civilians running around in any situation, even if those civilians were on their side. You have to remember, this is the government that works harder every day to disarm us all. This is the same government that will put its own soldiers in a federal penitentary for possessing a handgun in their own housing. They don't care about lives, they care about control and being able to say who was what weapon and when, and it would be doubly so in a SHTF scenario. It's simply the nature of the beast.

The military is not going to air drop in crates of 5.56 NATO to American partisan fighters even if it was World War 3. They won't even let our own soldiers bring guns back from Iraq, they sure as heck aren't going to encourage anyone to take up arms.

So if you choose the AR15 in hopes the good guys might be able to resupply you, you've got another thing coming. If you pick the AK47 and hope to loot the dead, same problem. Neither side of that conflict is going to permit you to do either.

My point being, don't think in terms of what you're likely to receive from fallen enemies or from supposedly friendly forces, you're on your own either way. The only way a "Red Dawn" scenario might occur is if it really was as awful as that movie and the US Gov had better things to worry about, but even in that scenario you'll notice the film maker was of the opinion there wouldn't be any assistance from said government.
    Last edited by Euclidean; November 19th, 2006 at 02:28 PM.

Lead Moderator
    While Govt assistance may not be offered, the Govt does have more 5.56mm on hand than 7.62X39. As well as any parts needed from M-16's.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean View Post
    Look I love to hold up my AK47 and shout "Wolverines!" as much as anybody,
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Man, did that bring back old memories. I think Red Dawn contributed to 50% of my USSR paranoia as a kid. Now I realized the only "invading" Russia is now capable of is importing overpriced vodka, knock off sunglasses, and hot blonde tennis phenoms.

Senior Moderator
    Have you thought about buliding your own AR. You can buy the Lower reciever (it's the Gun) at a gun show for around $100 or less. Then you can order the upper reciver, barrel, stock etc online for less money and speard out over time. You gain a greater familiarity with the firearm assembling it yourself and can get exactly what you want. I would suggest buying the upper reciver and barrel as a unit to insure that the head space is right. Other than that it is pretty easy to put one togehter.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I like the AR platform better myself . My reasoning is ergonomics of the controls , On the ar the safety , mag release , and bolt release all fall readily to hand . On the ak the safety is an after thought to the point of being realisticly unuseable , and i have seen a lot of mag changes fumbled when trying for speed . To me the AR is just freiendlyer to use . IMHO either would be a good investment right now , and both are fun plinkers .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links