Remington shotgun for home defense

This is a discussion on Remington shotgun for home defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I shot 100 rounds through a friend's 870 Express with an 18.5" Barrel. I was really pleased with the speed I was able to pump ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Remington shotgun for home defense

Remington shotgun for home defense

I shot 100 rounds through a friend's 870 Express with an 18.5" Barrel. I was really pleased with the speed I was able to pump and put the next round on target. I'm considering either getting a 28" barrel version and buying an additional 18.5" barrel or perhaps purchasing the 877 Nitromag tactical which has the 18.5" barrel plus it holds several more rounds. What do you users out there suggest?
    TIA.
    del

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delford View Post
    I shot 100 rounds through a friend's 870 Express with an 18.5" Barrel. I was really pleased with the speed I was able to pump and put the next round on target. I'm considering either getting a 28" barrel version and buying an additional 18.5" barrel or perhaps purchasing the 877 Nitromag tactical which has the 18.5" barrel plus it holds several more rounds. What do you users out there suggest?
    TIA.
    del
    To me there is no need for magnum capability in a home defense shotgun. Get the express model and spend the saved money on #00 buck and some slugs. You can add up to three shell capacity to an express by getting a mag tube extension.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

...I wouldn't spend new gun money on a pump shotgun for home defense...I have three...all bought at pawn shops...Winchester 1200 pumps...very slick actions and reliable...I cut the barrels myself with a tubing cutter on 2 and a miter saw on one...snapped on fiberoptic front sights...and spent less for all three than you can for some new pumps...for someone who hunts, it's different, but an old pump in good condition will protect your home for a lot less money than a new one...

If you could find an 870 wing master in good condition they are slicker and have better insides. The express is good for sure but they are made for walmart to be sold at their price. If you do buy a shotgun be sure to check it out well at the range. Which goes for any gun. I got an 870 police trade in once and fired it a couple times. It seemed fine so I loaded it full and hung it up. My daughter called me one night and said she came home to find her front door open. I grabbed the shotgun and away I went. Got there and found out when you had a full tube in the shotgun it would drop the second shell on top of the lifter jamming the gun up solid. I also had my 45 and found no one in the house. We never did know how the door got open.

I went with the Remington Express and added a +1 extentions on it and a just a few things to it, oh btw I also added a pad on the stock butt. I love it I have shot some slug but not the 00 buck yet because the range I go to don't allow them. This is what I need I don't need nothing fancy.
    Attached Images
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Great looking gun...a solid choice. I'm not a fan of slings on a hd shotgun though. Might get tangled a little or snagged on something and besides I'm just standing by my bed not carrying it through the woods. I might go with a single point but nothing more. YMMV of course. Again Congrats!
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

VIP Member
    You may want to look at the Express Combo package offered by Remington. It is a good deal and may fit your needs.

VIP Member
    I’ll second the Remington Wingmaster; Remington has and continues to make millions of them. They may be found on the used market at reasonable prices, you can either cut down the original barrel or pick up a second barrel in the length you want. As far as accessories there are so many available that like the AR-15 you can dress it up any way you want.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I can tell you that I went the opposite direction of many of you. I found an incredible H&K imported Benelli M1. With a ridiculously fast, slick action and 7+1+1 capacity, there is no rival. ...bar-none.

...but then again I wish I had bought a used Remington 870. There is no need for such a weapon in my household. I think you should follow the advice of those in this thread. The 870 is a fantastic HD shotgun and fills almost all the needs for the majority of a homeowner's defense needs.

I'm not sure the extended magazine would be worth it, as it adds weight close to the muzzle. This might make it more difficult to swing the barrel quickly and accurately, which is bad in home defense. Maybe see if you can hold one (preferably fully loaded) and make sure it's not a problem for you. You can always add a shell holder to the stock instead. I figure if the first five 12ga shells don't buy time for a reload, the next three are unlikely to do so.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    While I do not own one another shotgun highly recommended by many folks is the Mossberg 500.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

...I quit using the 870 when I quit policing...they don't like short-shucking and can double-feed...I got to the point I wouldn't touch the one in the cruiser...found a chicken bone in the chamber of one...I went to the armory and signed out a brand new one for "special duty"...turned it in when I quit and they said "You can't have this...who authorized this?"...my memory went to Washington and I just smiled and said "Log it in"...I kept it spotless...I like the Winchester 120, 1200, even 1300 and the Mossy 500 lots better than the 870...

There are literally dozens & dozens of "tactical" aftermarket products available for both the Mossy 500 & Remington 870. Yet if you attend a well-respected social-shotgun training class, you'll see the instructors & experienced LEO types carrying the simplest, lightest, bare-bones, wood stocked shotguns in the class. Extended mag tubes, optics, lights, shell carriers & pistol grips are (IMHO) counter-productive to the basics that make a 12 gauge shotgun such a time-tested favorite fight-stopper. Much like the AR, shotguns are a victim of their own massive popularity. Lightweight=fast, simple=dependable.
    Snub44 and msgt/ret like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Much like the AR, shotguns are a victim of their own massive popularity. Lightweight=fast, simple=dependable.
    True..but I would also add that lightweight=getting kicked in the shoulder by a drunk Clydesdale. You're unlikely to notice though until the adrenaline wears off.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Good choice. Good shotgun. Pick up some dummy rounds and shoot it a lot. Be real sure you have only the dummy rounds close. You would never think a person could pick up a live round by mistake but it has happened. Practice till a short stroke is not likely to happen. Again,something a person would not think would happen but if you run it fast it can and probably will happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links