Ruger Gunsite Scout. $850 budget for optics, and need assistance

This is a discussion on Ruger Gunsite Scout. $850 budget for optics, and need assistance within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have recently purchased my first firearm, a Ruger Gunsite Scout, .308 Rifle. However, I cannot find/ decide on a scope/ optic for it. I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wdbailey

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout. $850 budget for optics, and need assistance

Ruger Gunsite Scout. $850 budget for optics, and need assistance

I have recently purchased my first firearm, a Ruger Gunsite Scout, .308 Rifle. However, I cannot find/ decide on a scope/ optic for it. I Need an optic thats effective between 100 and 500 meters, and is forward mounted, utilizing the picatinny mount provided, as I love the thought of retaining the stock iron sights as my backup sights. What scope/optic and mounting hardware should I purchase? I have an $850 budget for this.

2. Remove Ads

I can't say for certain, but the long eye relief required for the Scout arrangement puts a significant limit on your choices of scopes. Maybe see what the hand-cannon (Contender-) types use.

I also think that an optic mounted that far forward is not going to be "effective" on targets at 500 meters unless those targets are the size of Abrams tanks. The forward mounting is a compromise to give the shooter a 2-eye field of view as the gun is mounted and then a modest degree of magnification that's an improvement over irons. The tradeoff is rapidity of target acquisition at the cost of precision aiming.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I could even go to 950 with the mounts, and for a shorter mean(average) range. Say 100 to 350 or 400 meters. Optics were justmadded as an option because ive heard of optics that go to 3× magnification. Though I cannot find them. I just need a basis tomfind my own preferance from, even if its not an exact match.

That rifle cries out for an Aimpoint.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by VkngSldr View Post
    I could even go to 950 with the mounts, and for a shorter mean(average) range. Say 100 to 350 or 400 meters. Optics were justmadded as an option because ive heard of optics that go to 3× magnification. Though I cannot find them. I just need a basis tomfind my own preferance from, even if its not an exact match.
    At those ranges, a 2 MOA Aimpoint should work.

If you really want magnification...heck, go with a Leupold 1-4 EER. It'd do.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I'm using FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm - Leupold | Leupold on my .30-'06 Springfield Scout. It works great for the ranges you're talking about.
    glockman10mm likes this.

I'm using FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm - Leupold | Leupold on my .30-'06 Springfield Scout. It works great for the ranges you're talking about.
    I've used the Leupold FX II Scout 2.5x28 scout scope on lever-action Marlins. Excellent scope. But with my eyesight, I find I need greater optical power at distances beyond ~150yds or so.

Both of these have extended eye relief and should be suitable in a "scout" configuration:

Here's a discussion forum that might help you poke around: ScoutRifle.org. They've got an Optics sub-forum, there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Try us optics once you find what you want there re plenty on the used market

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    I have that scope on my scout Garand and love it.

Links