Thoughts on Barska scopes

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Barska scopes within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thinking of a new optic for my ar-15. I have an nc-star bought on impulse and after reading reviews not sure if it will hold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Barska scopes

Thinking of a new optic for my ar-15. I have an nc-star bought on impulse and after reading reviews not sure if it will hold up over the long haul. And of course the budget thing comes into play. Ive been looking at other scopes for a bit now and the Barska 2nd gen sniper scope seems to have the features I want for an affordable price tag. My shooting will be done mostly 300 yrds and in to close quarters. And Im not a fan of red dots. I like the compactness of the Barska also. Anyone have any experiance with these optics. Pros or cons. Thanks everyone.

Had one Barska scope, for long-range target shooting (Savage FLV 12 .223 and Rem 700 .243). Scope's innards fell apart such that it couldn't maintain zero, wasn't consistent on "click" adjustments, and it had always had marginal "foggy" visibility.

Am by no means a scope expert. Not in the least. I've only had a handful of them. The crappy Barska, a Vortex Crossfire, a couple of Nikon ProStaffs, a Leupold FX II "scout" scope. Other than the Vortex, each has been used at relatively short distances (<= 150yds).

If you're considering a relatively low-cost alternative, I'd recommend Vortex. Have had the Vortex Crossfire scope in 8-32x50 (~$200, though that particular model is no longer made); they're onto the Crossfire II series now. Have used this one at 600yds, though better optics, better light gathering and a finer reticle would be preferable (to me) that far out. Out to 300yds, though, nice. Very clear optics, accurate zero, accurate adjustments. At least, in the one scope of theirs that I have used. Great value for the money, I think.

But then, it depends on what "sniper scope" means to you in terms of magnification and features. A decent Nikon 3-9x40 is hard to beat for the money, IMO. Clear, easy to use, reliable. Greater magnification alternatives exist in the Nikon line, as well, if you need more power.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Had two barska products both junk

Thanks for the replies. Im doing a little more research before I make my final decision dosent hurt to ask around.

IMO junk. Friend had one. Terrible optics.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Had one on my .50 BMG. I know, sounds stupid of me, but it was supposed to be rated for it. Lasted 48 rounds before it wouldn't focus.

Customer support was even worse. I couldn't recommend them at all.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

VIP Member
    They are absolute junk.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It's a cheap scope like Leapers or Tasco or Swift or Clear Ridge or some other. Don't bother buying it. Go Leupold, Burris, Nikon, or Weaver and be happy for the rest of the gun's (or your) life without having to send it back.

Leopold makes a line of good scopes for an AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    +1 on the nikon 3x9x40! For the money they are tough to beat. Another one to consider is Pentax they are reasonably priced and very decent optics. Natchez Shooters Supply has good prices on them.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

gotta +1 the nikon scopes.... have a 3-9x40 that rides my .50 cal muzzleloader, a 4x on my slug gun for deer, and a 4x32 on my 17 hmr
    ccw9mm likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    crap
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Senior Moderator
    When you are buying a scope, you get exactly what you pay for.

Don't go cheap. You'll spend more time looking through the scope that you will shooting the rifle. Your eyes will thank you for it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Skip the BSA brand too. I picked up one on the cheap (about $90). Can't zero it for the life of me, and even a pro rifleman could not either. Red dot is off to the side no matter what.

On the other hand, a hookup at Zeiss Optics got me an illuminated Duralyte for employee pricing, which is nice!

Buy once cry once.

I don't consider myself much of a marksman with a rifle but this gun is holding 1/3MoA and I am hoping once I find the right load with a good shooter behind it, the gun will do inside of .25MoA.
    This is a "used" Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20x50 with mil-dot reticle. It took me a few months to find the glass I wanted. This came from an auction on gunbroker.com

I buy scopes, mags, reloading equipment all sorts of stuff over there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links