Maverick HS12 OU...

Maverick HS12 OU...

This is a discussion on Maverick HS12 OU... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have any experience with the Maverick HS12 over/under shotgun? If no experience, thoughts? I once had a Stoeger Double Defense side by side shotgun ...

Thread: Maverick HS12 OU...

Maverick HS12 OU...

Anyone have any experience with the Maverick HS12 over/under shotgun? If no experience, thoughts? I once had a Stoeger Double Defense side by side shotgun but I could never hit anything with it. LOL. I've heard the Maverick HS12 may have some kind of "safety" that prevents it from being fired at an angle. Any truth to this? I'd rather not turn this into a "why would you wanna use a double barrel for home defense" kinda thread. I'm well aware of the plus and minus. My questions are simply about the product itself.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I have one (my first double). I got it for around $375 new and with most double barrels being $1000+ I am very happy with it and it has the M and IC chokes. It comes with the rail attachments which I don't use but I suppose a laser would be useful for firing from the hip.

It's got the Mossberg style safety (minus the red "fire" indicator) and also acts as a barrel selector by moving it left or right. However, it also has an internal one that you can't turn off and engages when you point the barrel down low enough. I tested it out pointing down some fairly steep stairs and the safety does not go on. You have to be aiming down at extreme angles like a little past your shoes before the trigger won't pull. I dislike the feature but don't feel like trying to disable it.

It's got a nice stout feel to it and love how compact it is with a full stock. You have to pull down firmly when breaking down the barrel so it clears the chamber and you can pull out the shells but it's become second nature and I can reload fairly quickly.

Thanks for the info! I was a little taken back by the safety, but if it doesn't activate until that extreme of an angle, i may just go ahead and give it a test drive. Looks killer.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I couldn't say no for the price.

I like the simple operation of an O/U and being able to break it down in seconds to stow in a bag for travel. Another plus with break actions is the option to install different caliber inserts/adapters to fire 20 gauge shells, .22LR, 45-70, whatever.

What is that weird safety for?

I really want to like these, but the fact that they are not drop safe kind of defeats the purpose, IMHO. For HD, you're going to want to keep the chambers loaded, but that's not really a good idea if it isn't drop safe.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Sponsored Links