SBR Build Question

SBR Build Question

This is a discussion on SBR Build Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If I decide to do a SBR build, am I able to buy all of the components before I get my tax stamp and wait ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By Badey

Thread: SBR Build Question

SBR Build Question

If I decide to do a SBR build, am I able to buy all of the components before I get my tax stamp and wait to put it all together after I get the stamp?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Moderator
    Yes. Just don't put it together.

The ones that tell you that you cant do it because of "constructive possession" or "constructive intent" don't know what they are talking about.

Those were words invented by the ATF that got eliminated by the Supreme Court a few years ago.

Just keep them separated.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    With the long tax stamp wait times, I know a number of folks who built their SBR's initally as AR Pistols, defining the lower as a pistol on the 4473 and building with a pistol buffer tube or a regular tube, wrapped with paracord of rubber... keeping it far away from any unmounted butt stocks until the stamp comes in.

Personally I'm in the wait for it category, but that's me.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Thanks for the answer! I'm off to look at uppers now!
    atctimmy likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Yeah, build it first as an AR pistol - then (if you could find ammo) you can run it through its traces before spending the money on SBR paperwork (some SBR uppers need tweaking to run properly). Switching to a rifle buffer tube+stock when the tax stamp comes in is simple.

Don't forget to get your lower "Marked" according to BATFE specs. There are some people that do it nicely and refinish for a reasonable price.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Links