Building an AR: best books/guides on the subject

Building an AR: best books/guides on the subject

This is a discussion on Building an AR: best books/guides on the subject within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For a first-timer who isn't a gunsmith but is looking to do an AR rifle build, what are your most-recommended guides, books and sources of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EdJean

Thread: Building an AR: best books/guides on the subject

VIP Member

Question Building an AR: best books/guides on the subject

For a first-timer who isn't a gunsmith but is looking to do an AR rifle build, what are your most-recommended guides, books and sources of clear and detailed info on doing it right?

* Consider "winging it" not an option, for the average first-timer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I built my AR15, but opted for an assembled upper. All parts bought from Palmetto State Armory.

Their deals are a hit and miss, but this one is still available on there website:
    $100 - Palmetto State Armory Blemished Lower Receiver
    $700 - PSA 16'' Hammer-Forged Mid CTR Rifle Kit - AR-15 Parts Sale - AR-15

And stock up on some magazines too: $90 - PSA D&H 5.56mm 30rd Aluminum Magazine - Black Teflon, Foliage Green Follower 10 Pack

As far as instructions, I used a couple of Youtube videos. There are ton of them available, but I found these two most helpful:
    How to Assemble an AR-15 Lower Receiver. Video from Ares Armor, home of the 80 percent lower. - YouTube
    AR15 Lower Build - YouTube

And I used the brass hammer to start the roll pins, but finished using vice grips wrapped with tape.

AR15 - Install Roll Pin1.jpgAR15 - Install Roll Pin2.jpg

AR-15 Lower Receiver Parts Kit.jpg

Good luck!

Ed
    Last edited by EdJean; June 17th, 2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Add Youtube links & photos
    jonconsiglio likes this.

The only thing I'd add to the above post is AR15.com (I am not a fan but they do have solid threads stickied) has some great how-to videos on everything. M4carbine has some as well.

Rainier Arms has some good deals occasionally on Centurion and Noveske barrels. G&R Tactical and Specialized Armament will have Colt components and of course BCM for BCM components and PSA for PSA and a few other components.

It's pretty easy, just use high quality parts.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Go to m4carbine.net and forget about ar15.com

I hear they have an app in the play store called IjonARguru...Look it up it might help...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

Someone bought me this book as a gift a while back. It seems pretty good: The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide (AR-15 Guide Vol 2): Walt Kuleck: 9781888722123: Amazon.com: Books

Sponsored Links