Building an AR: best books/guides on the subject

Building an AR: best books/guides on the subject

This is a discussion on Building an AR: best books/guides on the subject within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For a first-timer who isn't a gunsmith but is looking to do an AR rifle build, what are your most-recommended guides, books and sources of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EdJean

Thread: Building an AR: best books/guides on the subject

Question Building an AR: best books/guides on the subject

For a first-timer who isn't a gunsmith but is looking to do an AR rifle build, what are your most-recommended guides, books and sources of clear and detailed info on doing it right?

* Consider "winging it" not an option, for the average first-timer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I built my AR15, but opted for an assembled upper. All parts bought from Palmetto State Armory.

Their deals are a hit and miss, but this one is still available on there website:
    $100 - Palmetto State Armory Blemished Lower Receiver
    $700 - PSA 16'' Hammer-Forged Mid CTR Rifle Kit - AR-15 Parts Sale - AR-15

And stock up on some magazines too: $90 - PSA D&H 5.56mm 30rd Aluminum Magazine - Black Teflon, Foliage Green Follower 10 Pack

As far as instructions, I used a couple of Youtube videos. There are ton of them available, but I found these two most helpful:
    How to Assemble an AR-15 Lower Receiver. Video from Ares Armor, home of the 80 percent lower. - YouTube
    AR15 Lower Build - YouTube

And I used the brass hammer to start the roll pins, but finished using vice grips wrapped with tape.

AR15 - Install Roll Pin1.jpgAR15 - Install Roll Pin2.jpg

AR-15 Lower Receiver Parts Kit.jpg

Good luck!

Ed
    Last edited by EdJean; June 17th, 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Add Youtube links & photos
    jonconsiglio likes this.

The only thing I'd add to the above post is AR15.com (I am not a fan but they do have solid threads stickied) has some great how-to videos on everything. M4carbine has some as well.

Rainier Arms has some good deals occasionally on Centurion and Noveske barrels. G&R Tactical and Specialized Armament will have Colt components and of course BCM for BCM components and PSA for PSA and a few other components.

It's pretty easy, just use high quality parts.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Go to m4carbine.net and forget about ar15.com

I hear they have an app in the play store called IjonARguru...Look it up it might help...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Someone bought me this book as a gift a while back. It seems pretty good: The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide (AR-15 Guide Vol 2): Walt Kuleck: 9781888722123: Amazon.com: Books

Sponsored Links