Need recommendation on a high capacity AR-15 mag

Need recommendation on a high capacity AR-15 mag

This is a discussion on Need recommendation on a high capacity AR-15 mag within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need a recommendation on a high capacity AR-15 mag that is not one of those crazy drum mags that always have the failures. Just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Need recommendation on a high capacity AR-15 mag

Question Need recommendation on a high capacity AR-15 mag

I need a recommendation on a high capacity AR-15 mag that is not one of those crazy drum mags that always have the failures. Just a straight up mag but higher than 30 rounds capacity. Ideas?

Surefire makes bigger mags that's are supposed to be reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    blake716 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Surefire makes 60 or 100 round mags....but I question the need for a super big mag unless you're running a SAW. There's a lot of shootin' in a 30 round mag.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I've always been under the impression that it's easier to manage a couple of thirty round mags than a big obtrusive 60 rounder. Then again, no one knows your intent for wanting a high cap. Here are the most common ones that I have seen: High-Capacity Magazines

Why would I want a higher capacity mag? Simple. Because Obama and friends don't want me to have one.
    pittypat21, dV8r and dauc43 like this.

+1 on the PMAG 40 M3. If they turn out to be as awesome as all of the other magpul products you should be set... other than that the surefire 60 and 100's... although some lowers wont work with surefire mags... My Noveske Gen2 lower will not accept surefire mags due to the magwell design

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    Why would I want a higher capacity mag? Simple. Because Obama and friends don't want me to have one.
    Right, but they cost over a hundred bucks and you can get a whole case of 30 rounders for about that much. They just don't make any sense. Oh, and the libs hate the 30 rounders too!

ETA: Brownell's has the 100 round mags priced at $140. You can get 10 steel 30 round mags with no tilt followers in a case for less.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/r...prod42026.aspx

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-...0mp-10pack.htm
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have not used the 40 rd MagPuls but I have used the 30 rd Magpuls (2nd gen) and have had zero problems. They are popular with our troops in the "sandbox". As a side note I have a quantity of 20 rd Thermolds marked LE/ Govt that have been flawless as well. BTW, the 20 rd magazines work well when using a rest at the range. I am NOT a big fan of the aluminum GI mags they have failed me several times! (These were all GI issued mags.) YMMV.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I honsestly think the best combination is 2 30 round Pmags coupled together. Ever try to go prone with a 40 rounder! YUCK

If you have Pmags already you could do a Nordic Components extension http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/pr...ag-extensions/

IF you go with the pmags your looking at a whopping total of about 40 bucks, for 60 rounds worth of ammo. Surefire 60 rounds are $100-120.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

If you want to just cut to the chase.... Go belt fed.

Belt feed conversions | Valkyrie Armament
    perfection and TX expat like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    Lol, yeah, that is a good enough reason. What I meant was... We didn't know if you are planning on shooting 100 watermelons, or 100 jars of tannerite, or sawing down trees with bullets, or trying to break the guiness book of world records for shooting 100 rounds of 5.56 the fastest into the a fore mentioned, ect. ...Or self defense, but that is more boring.

You know, so we could tell you which hi-caps might be the best bet.
    perfection likes this.

VIP Member
    Well, either way you go the links to pricing are in post #8. Enjoy.
    perfection likes this.

I have two Tango Down 30 round mags that wok real well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Jut wondering what you want a magazine that holds more than 30 rounds for an AR for? The bullets are getting traded as high as gold these days. Not judging, just curious the thought behind it.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links