AR-15 range report (Wilson Combat and Aimpoint review)

This is a discussion on AR-15 range report (Wilson Combat and Aimpoint review) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just shot my Wilson Combat Recon Tactical AR-15 for the first time. I mounted an Aimpoint CompM4s red dot sight on it. The rifle ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: AR-15 range report (Wilson Combat and Aimpoint review)

AR-15 range report (Wilson Combat and Aimpoint review)

I just shot my Wilson Combat Recon Tactical AR-15 for the first time. I mounted an Aimpoint CompM4s red dot sight on it. The rifle has a light weight 16-inch barrel. The Aimpoint is a non-magnified optic with a 2MOA red dot. Here's the amazing (to me) part...

I sighted the rifle in at 25 yards, then took it out to a measured 100 yards. With this non-magnified sight (and I'm an old(er) guy with marginal eyesight and average shooting skills), my last 5-shot group (after I got accustomed to the rifle/recoil/trigger) measured 1 5/8 inches, with 4 of those shots in a measured 3/4 inch group. This was with cheap PMC .223 plinking ammo.

I never would have thought I could shoot this well with a non-magnified red dot sight. There's no way I could have shot this well with iron sights because of the need to focus on multiple things at once; my eyes just don't focus that well anymore. I'm posting this because I'm a new convert to the virtues of quality red dot sights. Being able to simply put that dot on your target and pull the trigger - and hit what you're aiming at - takes a lot of the variables out the the equation, so to speak. For anyone who thinks they "need" a high-power optic to reliably hit a 100-yard target with an AR-15, my recent experience suggests the opposite. I've read that high-power optics don't make you a better shot, they just enable you to see the target better. Certainly this is been my experience. If you're thinking of getting a red dot sight for your AR-15 but are worried about the absence of magnification at "moderate" shooting ranges (say up to 150 yards?), forget about worrying. Get the sight.

Anyone here with a similar experience... or a different opinion... ?

2. Remove Ads

Next time, shoot, using the red dot, with both eyes open (if you didn't this time).

I have said before, that I think red dot/illuminated reticle no/low mag optics for the average infantryman are one of the biggest advances in infantry gear post WW2.

They allow the user to do so much more, in so many more settings, than plain iron sights.
    jbum likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Agree re both eyes open. Also, you got to try this; Toss out some clay skeet at various (close) ranges. Rapid fire take them out. Regardless of the angle of the red dot.

In other words, if the red dot is on it, pull that trigger. It should make your day.

You couldnt have done better than an aimpoint, btw.

I'm with ya, Buckeye 45. And thanks for mentioning about keeping both eyes open. I knew about that, but I wasn't thinking about it today as I was shooting (which means that I probably had one eye closed).

Quote Originally Posted by hbc View Post
    I'm with ya, Buckeye 45. And thanks for mentioning about keeping both eyes open. I knew about that, but I wasn't thinking about it today as I was shooting (which means that I probably had one eye closed).
    A way to work on keeping both open: close the front lens cover. Keep the shots under 25 yard or so. But keep the dot on, close the front cover and shoot like that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks, Buckeye .45. I'll try that.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I mounted an Aimpoint Pro on my Colt and finally took it to the range a few days go. I was amazed at how much better I shot with both eyes open. Groups were tighter with both open than with one closed
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I switched to a Meprolight M21 a few months back on my Bushymaster. I just love that optic!

Links