"The good stuff"

"The good stuff"

This is a discussion on "The good stuff" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have tons of cheap .223 laying around but I don't have very much of the good stuff. I'd like to get some 5.56 ammo ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: "The good stuff"

VIP Member

"The good stuff"

I have tons of cheap .223 laying around but I don't have very much of the good stuff.

I'd like to get some 5.56 ammo with either a big 77grain OTM bullet or some Barnes TSX (or even some Federal Bonded). Anyone have a line on who is selling the "good stuff" in quantity?
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Are you looking for reloading components or loaded ammunition?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I guess it all comes down to what we consider the "good stuff" to be. I thought lake city XM193 was as close to GI issue as one could get. I mean I have more expensive stuff, some hollow points, etc, but I always kinda liked that lake city stuff, and held it back.

Senior Moderator
    Be careful with the 77 grain stuff. Longer bullets require faster twists.

The 77 grain bullet will need a faster twist (1/7) to stabilize. If you don't have that, you wont be satisfied with the accuracy of it.

Trust me. It's the very reason that some barrels are 1/7 vs, the standard 1/9.
    BaldSasq likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you cant find 75gr TAP, this is also great:

TAC/defense:
    http://www.southwestammunition.com/p...stsx-match.htm

Match
    http://www.southwestammunition.com/p...7smk-reman.htm

I've reloaded some 70gr Hornady GMX that I'm looking forward to trying out as well. Could fall into the 'good stuff' category.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Are you looking for reloading components or loaded ammunition?
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I guess it all comes down to what we consider the "good stuff" to be. I thought lake city XM193 was as close to GI issue as one could get. I mean I have more expensive stuff, some hollow points, etc, but I always kinda liked that lake city stuff, and held it back.
    I don't consider ball the good stuff. The good stuff has the type of bullets I asked about in my OP.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

The 77 grain bullet will need a faster twist (1/7) to stabilize. If you don't have that, you wont be satisfied with the accuracy of it.

I got 1 in 7. It's for HD anyhow.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    If you cant find 75gr TAP, this is also great:

TAC/defense:
    5.56 / 50gr TSX- 20rd Box

Match
    5.56 / 77gr SMK - 50rd Box REMANUFACTURED

I've reloaded some 70gr Hornady GMX that I'm looking forward to trying out as well. Could fall into the 'good stuff' category.
    I'm not familiar with the GMX bullet. Is it a Barnes spin off. All copper.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm not familiar with the GMX bullet. Is it a Barnes spin off. All copper.
    Yea a cheaper alternative.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=16&t=561567
    atctimmy likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Ck Shotgun Supply in Anniston, AL 256-235-2780

I was there today and they had cases of ammo stacked all over. I was shocked to find as much powder as I did. Picked up Benchmark and Win231 at near pre stupid pricing.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

^^^What he said^^^! I have been wanting to try some of that ammo in my S&W MP-15 w/ a (1/8) barrel and see how it shoots but I haven't been able to find any reasonable.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

You have the proper twist rate for a 77gr bullet? Most modern AR's have twist rates for the common military spec 55gr bullets. You might not get such good performance with a heavier bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldSasq View Post
    You have the proper twist rate for a 77gr bullet? Most modern AR's have twist rates for the common military spec 55gr bullets. You might not get such good performance with a heavier bullet.
    A 1:7 twist rate like Timmy said he has would be a good match for the heavier bullets being discussed.

55gr will work in a 1:7, but the heavier bullets generally perform better with that rate. Similarly, a 1:9 twist rate does better with mid weight bullets.

It should be noted, as Shotguns said, the length of the bullet actually makes more difference in relation to the twist rate than bullet weight, but for discussion sake (since bullets are generally referred to by weight instead of length), those are pretty decent guidelines.

Edit: Modern ARs run the gambit with twist rates, with 1:9 1:8 and 1:7 all being fairly common from major manufacturers.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Could I buy one of your tons of 223 so you might have more $ to buy your good stuff?
    oldskeetshooter likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by BaldSasq View Post
    Are you aware that the common twist rate on military issue M16/M4 is 1:7, and that the standard issue round-M855--is a 62gr bullet?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Edit - Cuda66 beat me to it! - it looks like a couple beat me to the length vs weight issue as well. - Edit

Guys, modern military ammo is m855 62gr, mk262 mod 1 77gr, Brown Tip 70gr Optimized and MK318 62gr. There is no 55gr currently in use. M193 is from decades past though it's still offered for sale.

The TDP specifies a 1:7 twist. All rifles in service have a 1:7 twist or 1:8 I'd were talking about the MK12 mod 1.

A 1:7 from a quality manufacturer will stabilize 55gr through 77gr. Some 1:9 barrels will as well but I have no use for them and are generally reserved for hobby grade rifles.

Remember that the twist rate and stabilization concern is not about bullet weight but bullet length. It just so happens that heavier bullets are longer. All copper bullets like TSX are longer than jacketed bullets. A 70gr TSX is as long if not longer than 77gr smk. 50gr TSX is longer than 55gr FMJ. So, just because one 1:9 barrel stabilizes 77gr smk, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll stabilize 70gr TSX.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links