30-30 for home defense? - Page 3

30-30 for home defense?

This is a discussion on 30-30 for home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet "We have talked about the fundamental inadequacy of handguns, specifically handgun ammunition, for self-defense." I don't have any great stats to ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: 30-30 for home defense?

Ex Member Array HillbilliesRule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "We have talked about the fundamental inadequacy of handguns, specifically handgun ammunition, for self-defense."

I don't have any great stats to back me up, but I'm willing to bet a plugged nickel that a whole lot of people have and will successfully defend themselves with inadequate handguns and ammunition, probably far more than with rifles.
    Only because that is what the overwhelming majority are carrying. It isn't a testament to the effectiveness of handguns as much as it is simply a matter of mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    If a .30.30 is what you like then there is nothing wrong with it. Whatever works for you.

At the risk of sounding like "Joe", I do like a shotgun for defending inside my home. I have a couple of 870's
    No kids at home stay put if the need arises wife will grab the cell I'll grab the 12 gauge. Division of labor but keep it simple.
    64zebra likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I live in the country and have to defend against four legged as well as two legged intrusions. I have a 30-30 and a hand gun at the bedside. The rifle has a combat sling and the pistol has a holster. I will not leave my bedroom which has a locked door by the way without having on pants so I have a pocket. shoes because I may have to go outside.

If I believe there is a threat in my house I am barricaded in the room and hope they try to come get me. We have perimeter alarms around the property so I know where I am looking. My fight training never allows both hands to be filled at any one time. The sling allows dropping one hand from the rifle to open doors gates etc. The light is attached to the rifle. If I lived in the city and response time was under five minutes I would not want to clear a house by myself. If you have two attackers in two different parts of the house or room you are in you are going to have a very bad night. Hunker down and wait would be my response. I don't have kids at home so other bedrooms and other lives are not my training scenario.

One person clearing a house is a very dangerous proposition.

Just my thoughts on a subject that is different in every circumstance. By placing yourself walking around in the house the police have no idea who the bad guy is and the good guy is. Hunkered down in your bedroom yelling I am armed do not come in this room allows the police some options barricaded bad guy or barricaded good guy. With 911 on the line dispatch can have the policeman use a word or phrase letting you know they are truly the police. You don't shoot a cop by mistake and they don't shoot you by mistake.
    Nix likes this.

My first response weapon is a .40 caliber pistol. In the long gun safe in the room is an AR with a mag full of 75-gr Hornady TAP .223, and a cruiser ready 12 gauge with 00 buck. If I leave the room, those long guns aren't coming with me. Once I and the family are barricaded in there, then they're coming out to hold the door. I think that plan would be about as viable with a lever-gun; the only change I would make is that it would be a .44 or .357 magnum chambered lever-gun, since my neighbors all live so close and I don't believe the .30-30 is as likely to stop or at least lose enough power in the first thing it hits as a relatively light .44 or .357 JHP is. People have been successfully defending themselves with lever-action rifles since forever, and since that's what you're comfortable with OP, I say you're going to be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'm not sure the bullet on a 30-30 will do anything but go right thru them...
    I assume here you are concerned about what might be behind the BG with two new holes in him. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'd rather go with a shotgun with #2 shot than a 30-30. # 2 shot will make a good size hole in steel plate, but it won't keep going for ever.
    To be clear, are you advocating for #2 Bird Shot or #2 Buck shot? (I kinda like #4 Buckshot when "over-penetration" is a concern.)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't have any great stats to back me up, but I'm willing to bet a plugged nickel that a whole lot of people have and will successfully defend themselves with inadequate handguns and ammunition, probably far more than with rifles.
    Millions of Americans eat sugar glazed cereal for breakfast. That doesn't make it the best dietary choice, even if it gets them through the morning. And I'm willing to bet a good Louisville Slugger has been used for self-defense with success on many occasions, that doesn't mean it's the best choice either. So, yes, I think one could make a reasonable choice to carry a handgun for self-defense. I do it myself on occasion. However, in thread after thread on this forum, members have expressed the idea that all handgun calibers are inherently compromises between convenience and lethality.

And I agree.

Most people survive being shot with a handgun (2 out of 3, your statistics may vary). Handguns are just not that good at stopping a BG. So, I think a carbine or shotgun has several advantages in home defense, one of which is more effective ammunition.

I'm just throwing out an idea here.
    HillbilliesRule likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I think that plan would be about as viable with a lever-gun; the only change I would make is that it would be a .44 or .357 magnum chambered lever-gun.
    .44 Lever gun is on my short list.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    The 30-30 is definitely a man stopper. A lot of law enforcement agencies used them over the years including the Texas Rangers. My only concern with a 30-30 would be over penetration and hitting non-combatants. I have always thought that a lever action .357 was just about perfect for home defense. A .357 in a rifle is a different animal than in a handgun! Usually the .357 will hold more ammo than a typical 30-30. Just some food for thought.
    Nix and MidWorld like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    The 30-30 is definitely a man stopper. A lot of law enforcement agencies used them over the years including the Texas Rangers. My only concern with a 30-30 would be over penetration and hitting non-combatants. I have always thought that a lever action .357 was just about perfect for home defense. A .357 in a rifle is a different animal than in a handgun! Usually the .357 will hold more ammo than a typical 30-30. Just some food for thought.
    Agree!

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I've killed quite a few deer with a 30-30 in my youth, and most of those dropped right right where I hit them. I haven't shot one with a 30-30 in a long time, probably because i stupidly thought I "graduated" beyond it. While i don't like to think about missing a big buck because i didn't bring enough gun, if the terrain and layout presaged short shots I would definitely think about it. You're spot on about the range me thinks, making it an excellent choice, and if your comfortable and accurate shooting it then there's nothing to think about! That rifle will plant someone right where they stand.

I like the looks of the Marlin 336Y with the 16" barrel. Side eject. Would make a handy HD gun. I think the 150 grain federal soft points would be optimal for HD purposes.

My Marlin 336 is one gun that I completely trust and if my environment were suited for it, I would not hesitate to use it in a SD scenario. I want another one as a truck gun, because they look so much less scary than those evil black rifles My only gripe is that it is heavier than I would like, but given all the positives (and option to get a laminate stock) I love it.

The round itself is timeless IMO for all it has done and all it has helped feed
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Darn right. I have night sights on my pistols, including the one in my night stand. I also have a good light for it, but dont really like using a light.

It gives away your position, takes away YOUR night vision, etc. With the ambiant light in our house, I can bracket any intruder from where Im at, and likely never be seen when I do.

Im a big believer in finding a good defensive position, and letting them come to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Same here. I have no need to clear my house. From my bedroom door I can cover the entire house without being seen.
    The BG can come to me.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    Mr Nix, you make some assumptions that I do not agree with. I do not agree that handguns are inadequate for self defense. Why does every law enforcement officer in America carry one? Why do millions of citizens have one? I do not think handgun ammunition is inadequate. In fact, I think, in our time, handgun ammunition is more adequate than ever. My "bump in the night" weapon, what 'I choose at hand', is my SW Model 28, 4 " barrel, resting right here beside me. I've had this one so long now; there has been 1000's rounds down range, I know the weight, I know the feel of the grip, it points where I look, it is 110% reliable. How could I want anything else for a first defense weapon? Yes I have a shotgun and a center fire rifle; each has it place in the defensive scenario. I do not feel disadvantaged with my old S&W revolver. I feel like I'm shaking hands with an old friend.
    Truth be told, a revolver or Dbl barrel SG is about all you really need. I've been a victim of TWO HIRs. Both were by a BG team of four people. In the first one my stepdads "Security Six" was all that was needed. In the second one I helped with a Win DBB 410. Once bullets start flying BGs start running whether they are armed on not.

At my house, we keep six HD weapons ready at all times.
    • Our first line of defense are two PT trained APBTs.
    • My wife & I both keep HGs at hand and I have my Benelli & she has her AR.
    • But, I wouldn't worry if all I had was my LCP.

Like I said, once things start going bang, BGs usually head for the hills.

MY advice to the OP is; "Don't over think things. Go with what you know."

-
    Nix likes this.

I love my Marlin 30-30, but I prefer my Glock-21 for inside the home.
    It's easier to work around corners and still dial 911 while holding the firearm firearm with one hand.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mossberg 30-30 Lever action MARINECOTE

Im trying to understand what Mossberg is doing with their campaign of advertising the Mossberg 464 ((41040) 30-30 Marinecote that seems to be a Rifle that cant be found Anywhere. Its being advertised at almost every gun store in the country but its NO WHERE to be found. Wondering whats going on. My local gun supplier ordered two of these rifles in February; Ive made contact with Mossberg myself; the gun everyone says exists but NO ONE has one and apparently cant find them. Again this is Mossberg Lever Action 30-30 in MARINECOTE. Beautiful looking gun but where its hidden is a MYSTERY. Im not that knowledgeable about the Gun Industry advertising campaigning for guns but could this be a ployto advertise it big time and create a buyers market......... ?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links