Need a little help with my Mossberg ghost rings

This is a discussion on Need a little help with my Mossberg ghost rings within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just received my Ghost Ring Sights from Mossberg last night. I was looking over my gun and I have a few questions. 1. I ...

Thread: Need a little help with my Mossberg ghost rings

I just received my Ghost Ring Sights from Mossberg last night. I was looking over my gun and I have a few questions.

1. I see that the rear sight fits the two inner holes in my receiver. Is the elevation adjustment screw supposed to ride on the receiver, or screw into the rear-most hole?

2. So far none of the local shops can solder the front on, but one shop wants to drill 2 holes in my barrel and front site and screw it down as well as epoxy. He also wants $60 to do it. Is this a good idea?

3. Is the front sight the adjustment for windage?

4. They are supposed to be New, yet they came with no packeging, just an envelope. They also came oily, is this normal? no instructions either. I know how to install them, but hell, even a pack of matches comes with instructions.

5. Is there an alterate method of attaching the front that I can do?

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    4. They are supposed to be New, yet they came with no packeging, just an envelope. They also came oily, is this normal? no instructions either. I know how to install them, but hell, even a pack of matches comes with instructions.
    I don't have a ghost ring on my mossberg. therefore I cannot answer the other questions. As for the "is it normal for it to be oily" question. Yes, it is. Many manufacturers apply cosmoline or a thin coat of oil on parts that will sit on a shelf for a while, so as not to rust. Also, it's a lot easier to just stick a part in a plain brown envelope, rather than a display blister pack with instructions and illustrations. The manufacturer probably stated somewhere "gunsmith instillation is required". This is because most gunsmiths are trained and know how something is suppost to go on and why it is done that way. I bought a front sight from Cylinder and Slide that came with no instructions, I took it to my local smith, and he knew what kind of cut was needed for the slide, how far back it should be, cut the sight down and narrowed it.
    Don't worry it doesn't sound like you were flim-flammed.

500 sight

The sight screw goes into the receiver hole. The front sight will adjust for windage, you may need to stone or file it a bit to fit the dovetail. Don't go too far and make it loose. A local welding shop does them for us and charges $20. We told them not to heat the barrel too much and to use a steel that could be blued. They had us mark the location for the sight so we were responsible for centering it. No worries. We picked them out of the Yellow Pages because they were close to our shop. I thought about the drill and tap new holes idea, but I'd rather have it welded. I didn't think it would look "right" with screws in it, but no reason you couldn't buy some stainless 4-40 screws and a tap at the local hardware store. Make sure you cut them so that they dont stick in the bore, and deburr the holes you drill. We charge the $20 from the welder, plus an additional $15 if the customer doesn't buy the sights from us. This covers shop time lining it up and marking it, plus fitting the front sight (all I've seen need fitted) and sighting in with the rear sight. Don't forget the Loctite.
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; November 22nd, 2006 at 05:07 PM. Reason: oops

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I was under the impression the factory silver soldered them on, but i could be wrong will have to go look at my 590.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I was under the impression the factory silver soldered them on, but i could be wrong will have to go look at my 590.
    Mossberg does offer shotguns with a bladed front sight/ghost ring set up. However, you commonly see the beaded front sight shotguns in stores. It's interesting to note, Mossberg does offer a 500 barrel with the front sight already attached, however you'll be paying much more considering you're buying a new barrel. A good option if you are going from a turkey gun, to something more home defensive.

Just looked at my 500, the bead sight is tapped in and looks locked in with some loctite or something. My 590 sight looks soldered on, the sight appears to be rounded on the base to conform with the barrel. Hope this helps.

I did get the rear on Saturday. I screwed the elevation screw into the rear-most receiver hole and mounted it with the middle two holes, leaveing the forward-most hole vacant. It seems that the screw between the mounting holes on the rear sight is for windage. It looks like it has a limited number of settings and they seem to be far apart. So maybe that is afor course adjustment, and then fine tune it with the front dovetail. Although, I guess I can't expect too fine of an adjustment, it is a smoothbore, so I can't expect a tight group, I just want to be chest size accurate to 50 yards or so.

My friend who is good with shotguns got a group around 5" with 3" magnum slugs at 25yards standing up using my 590 for the first time. I won't mention my groupings

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly i would have a smith solder the front on right. and as for accuracy I used a 590 on the NRA police instructors course some years ago , never got a slug out of the 8 ring on a b27 target .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Personaly i would have a smith solder the front on right. and as for accuracy I used a 590 on the NRA police instructors course some years ago , never got a slug out of the 8 ring on a b27 target .
    And I'm the opposite- I'd drill & tap, and use Thermosteel epoxy from Autozone.

Sponsored Links