AKM questions

AKM questions

This is a discussion on AKM questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hope to add an AK-47 style rifle to the safe in the future. I know nothing about the manufacturers of this platform. I have ...

Thread: AKM questions

AKM questions

I hope to add an AK-47 style rifle to the safe in the future. I know nothing about the manufacturers of this platform. I have heard of I.O., M&M, Arsenal,etc. I am just trying to determine who makes treasure or trash as far as this platform is concerned. I just don't know where to begin. Anyone with experience/owns one this rifles please feel free to speak up. Thank you for your input.

really depends on your price range.

I will say that I prefer standard stocks, then side folders, then under folders, in that order. Than card stocks PFF the best cheek weld, although they don't look as "cool" to some.

I have a WASR (Romanian), I got back when they were cheap a decade ago. I have had zero issues with it. Fit and finish aren't as good as some of the newer American assembled ones, but it runs fine,
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    As stated all depends on your budget.

WASR's and other imports generally work fine but are not as refined as an Arsenal or KVAR. I have custom built AK's from Rifle Dynamics and as a backup a Yugo underfolder and would not hesitate to grab either or if needed.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Don't go with the underfolder. They are hard to get a good cheek weld and beat up your face.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I don't know if Saiga builds an AKM or not but their AK platform is solid and seems to be well built. I have not shot an Arsenal model but have shot quite a few other AK's and the Saiga was the most comfortable to shoot (and most accurate) for me. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Sponsored Links