Bought an "economy" AR15

This is a discussion on Bought an "economy" AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have not been a big fan of the AR for no other reason than cost for a while. Well, as times are (apparently) "a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Bought an "economy" AR15

Bought an "economy" AR15

I have not been a big fan of the AR for no other reason than cost for a while. Well, as times are (apparently) "a changin" I decided to start looking into them. Not an easy thing to find, but they seem to be around a bit more online, but I have not seen one in any caliber other than .22lr for some time with one exception. A pawn shop had a S&W M&P for $1900. I told him that for that price I don't even need to look at it.

From the searching and researching I have done I believe that I want a Colt 6920. Of course it has to be the CA legal (neutered) version so that is probably why I have been less than enthralled with the platform in general.

Today a pawn shop by my place had the M&P sport in so I looked at it and decided that this would be a worthwhile investment. The way things are going in the country ( and more-so) in this state, I figure it may be a relic of preban proportions one day. I also think it is a good one to cut my teeth on so to speak as it was not very expensive IMO ($799), and will give me a basis from which to move if I decide that I like the thing. I like the idea of one of every gun in my stable, so this MAY fulfill the AR spot. We shall see. They even had some Federal M193F for $1/rd...

I have a 10 day waiting BS period, but will post pics when I get it.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Unless your head for the middle east I think it will handle your needs nicely, just shoot decent ammo with brass cases. If it's labeled for .223 only, that's what I would buy. In my personal experience buying low doesn't help much after you add a crap load of stuff on it. But if you keep it pure stock you'll probably have no regrets. In my case I wish I'd saved my money and bought a Daniel Defense in the 1600 street price range with the stock, grip and sights I wanted in the first place. Seems like I recall yours is not threaded. So you can't install something like a $30 Miculek comp which makes them recoil like a BB gun. Now, if you get on some of the AR geek forums they might flame you into iternity. Good luck and enjoy...

LOL thanks GeorgiaShooter. One thing I like is that it has iron sights. I like that and though I may put an optic on it, I think that would be the extent of gussyin it up. Seems the lack of dust cover are not a major issue as you said, unless I head to the sandbox. No plans for that happening. If it makes me fall in love with the AR then maybe I'll save my pennies for a Colt or DD.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Don't want to get in trouble promoting any one business, but found this ad, maybe this would be an alternative, Mossberg for $299. hope this up loads correctly, Tried another product once here and it uploaded different than what I had, Here goes,Mossberg Products - GunsAmmoDepot

Now 5 days ago when I came accross this ad they were available, can't keep up, but tried.

800 for a bone stock AR is a good price.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Start using gunbot to find cheaper ammo. The cheapest will be steel cased ammo. Your gun will prolly have trouble with it. MOST ARS DO. At least after they heat up.

Be patient on gunbot, refresh the page often, set the alarm, and be ready to buy when your price target is met, and you can find some decent prices. Prices that sure beat $1 a round. Even at walmart last week I bought brass cased Tulammo brassmaxx (made by fiochi), for $18 a 50 pack.

I too have a S&W AR. I have a higher grade, and have been very pleased with it. Mine too, doesnt do very well with steel cased ammo, lol. Other than that, its rock solid.

One thing you might consider, is a .22 conversion kit. Then you can shoot .22 Lr out of it, and afford to shoot more often.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Thanks all. The 22 conversion kit was also one reason for the purchase. Now the problem becomes finding .22lr ammo! As I am looking, I am seeing much more 5.56 ammo available (rifle is a 5.56, not .223) at much less than $1/rd. Having not really looked at ammo prices or availability, I felt a few boxes of overpriced stuff wouldn't kill me. I want to run a few different weight rds through it to see what it prefers before I make a large ammo purchase (1K rds give or take)
    BigJon

Congrats! You did well. It's not going to go down in price.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I would absolutely hate to live in California these days. I would grit my teeth waking up every morning, when I realized I was still there. Best of luck to you.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Maxwell, the only thing keeping me here is family. I'd move in a heartbeat, leaving a successful business and career if I could. Until then I am working to change the state from within!
    BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Maxwell, the only thing keeping me here is family. I'd move in a heartbeat, leaving a successful business and career if I could. Until then I am working to change the state from within!
    I figured that was probably the case. They would lose most of their tax income if the good folks weren't compelled to stay by family. A form of hostage-taking, I suppose - Stockholm Syndrome and all. Again, best of luck!
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Don't know if you know this or not - I didn't until I saw it - but you don't have to use high mounts for a scope even though it's got a fixed front sight. It won't block your vision through the scope.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill340 View Post
    Don't want to get in trouble promoting any one business, but found this ad, maybe this would be an alternative, Mossberg for $299. hope this up loads correctly, Tried another product once here and it uploaded different than what I had, Here goes,Mossberg Products - GunsAmmoDepot

That's the 715T chambered in .22 LR. I have NIB for sale for$260 with a 10 round mag. I also have three 25 rd mags for sale with it at $40 each.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Thx for all the input and advice. Going to play around with it before any modifications. Seemed like a good starting off point to determine my feelings for the platform. If the threads here are any indication, it won't be my last one!
    BigJon

VIP Member
    The little M&P is a fine rifle for a beginner or someone that has been around the platform for a while. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but the bells and whistles aren't needed most of the time. (For example I have actually used a forward assist once, and I have more rounds through AR/M16 rifles than I could ever count.)

Spend time with the gun the way it came out of the box. Learn to shoot the thing and shoot it well with the iron sights. Save money for the right optic and let your experience with the gun lead you to the optic that will be right for you. If will ensure you don't end up with junk and that you don't end up with a scope that fits a need you don't have. In honesty when you do put an optic on the rifle it can be more important than the gun itself.
    BigJon10125, QKShooter and Jaeger like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links