AR-15 Information?

AR-15 Information?

This is a discussion on AR-15 Information? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm interested in buying an AR-15, but don't anything at all about them except that I want one. Is there a website or other resource ...

AR-15 Information?

I'm interested in buying an AR-15, but don't anything at all about them except that I want one. Is there a website or other resource where I can learn the basics about them? Apparently, there are loads of manufacturers & options...I'm at a loss & want to learn more before ordering.

A local dealer has several but says he really likes the S&W model. Any comments on it?

Thanks

JT
    You'll find plenty of help here...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=3

just be sure to use the search feature, before you ask questions. They can be a little rude if you don't. But it does have a wealth of information about the AR-15.

This is great site for information on ammo...

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

There are about 5 'well-known' TOP AR15 manufacturers. I will list them (in no particular order, so that you can make up your own mind).

Colt
    Rock River Arms
    DPMS
    Olympic Arms
    Armalite

That is not to say that there are not many other good (or great) makers out there. There are. And S&W may be one of them. However, having only handled them and not fired...I can not find anything extremely special about them. They may be as good as the top five, but they definitely are not 'better'. IMO, for the reasons I just stated, they are over-priced.
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

Lead Moderator
    Bushmaster makes a fine rifle too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    JJ573, HUH ?? Did the company that furnishes the most(by far) weapons to the private sector,go out of buisness since I ordered some parts from them two weeks ago ????????? HOPE NOT ---------

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    i have a bushmaster i love now have 600 trouble free rounds trough it
    Last edited by ssssthesnake; November 23rd, 2006 at 09:15 AM.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ573 View Post
    There are about 5 'well-known' TOP AR15 manufacturers. I will list them (in no particular order, so that you can make up your own mind).

Colt
    Rock River Arms
    DPMS
    Olympic Arms
    Armalite
    I would rank Bushmaster above all of those except maybe Colt, and Bushmaster is a much better deal than Colt. In fact, if I could get them for the same amount, I would still take Bushmaster (although there are many Colt fans that would disagree with me).

I personally would not list Olympic in the same class as Bushmaster, Colt, and RRA. And as for Armalite, it should be noted this is not the same Armalite that initaly developed the weapon. Eagle Arms bought out the name.

Stag also makes a great AR-15s. And it's the only way to go if you are a lefty.
    Last edited by JT; November 23rd, 2006 at 11:16 AM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Ive never had a problem with either my RRA entry tactical, or my Bushmaster Patrol Carbine.

The S&W 15t package is a great deal, and will probably be my next AR. I have personally put 500 rounds through one, and they are a very well made AR.
    Fear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Bushmaster makes a fine rifle too.
    My apologies, you guys are right. I have no idea how I neglected to list Bushmaster there. In fact, they do make a very fine firearm.

No offence was intended.
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

Lead Moderator
    Geez, I forgot about S&W.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have been thinking about acquiring a rifle lately. I am a left-handed shooter. Of course many pistol shooters, including me, train with both hands. Regarding rifle shooting, I wonder if that is also the case.

I discovered that Stag Arms makes a few left-hand models and my general searches have not turned up any other makers of lefty rifles. Stag was not mentioned earlier in this thread--I wonder if there is a significant reason for its absence.

Lead Moderator
    Stag has a good rep too. I am considering getting a Stag upper , as I am LH too.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

CMMG
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Stag was not mentioned earlier in this thread--I wonder if there is a significant reason for its absence.
    I mentioned them. I said "Stag also makes great AR-15s. And it's the only way to go if you are a lefty."

I believe that one other company makes a lefty (DPMS I believe), but it is not as much of a true lefty as Stag's. Stag is almost a complete mirror image of a right handed.

Stag has a very good reputation. Rumor has it that they are making S&W's AR, Or at least the upper.

Over at http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=3 Stag has a real good reputation.

Links