AR 15 Guidance

AR 15 Guidance

This is a discussion on AR 15 Guidance within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a complete nub who would like to build an AR15 before another escaped mental patient commits another mass shooting and this gun gets banned... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AR 15 Guidance

AR 15 Guidance

I'm a complete nub who would like to build an AR15 before another escaped mental patient commits another mass shooting and this gun gets banned... I have completely no idea where to start, and the shear amount of options that I have to choose from and all the technical talk and all the abbreviations and all of the conflicting opinions have me feeling lost and extremely intimidated. Even if I home how figure out what basic parts I need, I still wouldn't know what features would suit me, what I should buy, who to buy it from, and why I would or wouldn't want a certain feature...

To those of you that know what you're doing and who have built your own already, how did you get started? I figure others were in an environment where they had experienced friends or family to help guide them along a little, but I do not have that luxury.. Anyone start out where I am now that can give me some pointers?

Welcome to Defensive Carry from S.E. Michigan. I hope you enjoy your time here and learn as much as I have from the knowledgable members.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Thank You Caertaker

In all honesty wouldn't mind knowing how to build and AR myself
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 4th, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Few if any build an AR15 they assemble one big difference. If you just going to buy a stripped lower install the parts buy a complete upper and put the two together no big deal anyone can do it with no real special tools or training. But I would ask why when today you can buy a good quality Ar assembled from a manufacture for the same or less.
    If you going with a stripped upper receiver and barrel things get a bit harder you need proper Ar15 block to secure the weapon when installing barrel nut.
    A good Ar15 tool ,if you just doing one or two a generic all in one wrench will do. You will need a good set of punches also cheap stuff does not cut it .
    The trash bins are littered with bent wrapped and damaged upper receivers .
    If you decide to do it all from parts get the tools first read 3 times how to do a dry run and be sure before you do anything the first time.
    Assembling an AR from parts is not that high tech.
    Cross breed assembled from parts left over from other projects

Voodoo barrel
    Huldra(Adams Arms) gas piston block and rod Bolt Carrier Group
    Knight tactical upper receiver
    Panther arms lower
    CMMG kit for the lower
    Magpul stock generic buffer tube with heavy buffer
    Old colt fore grip modified to fit gas piston rod
    Mid level scope that was laying around unemployed
    Shoots great but if you added it all up parts would cost more than buying a good one. Still not really a build more like assemble .
    Here is what can happen when an AR upper is messed with with out proper blocks being used. extreme case
    101_5100.JPG
    Last edited by Smitty901; July 4th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
    5lima30ret and StormRhydr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Few if any build an AR15 they assemble one big difference. If you just going to buy a stripped lower install the parts buy a complete upper and put the two together no big deal anyone can do it with no real special tools or training. But I would ask why when today you can buy a good quality Ar assembled from a manufacture for the same or less.
    If you going with a stripped upper receiver and barrel things get a bit harder you need proper Ar15 block to secure the weapon when installing barrel nut.
    A good Ar15 tool ,if you just doing one or two a generic all in one wrench will do. You will need a good set of punches also cheap stuff does not cut it .
    The trash bins are littered with bent wrapped and damaged upper receivers .
    If you decide to do it all from parts get the tools first read 3 times how to do a dry run and be sure before you do anything the first time.
    Assembling an AR from parts is not that high tech.
    Cross breed assembled from parts left over from other projects

Voodoo barrel
    Huldra(Adams Arms) gas piston block and rod Bolt Carrier Group
    Knight tactical upper receiver
    Panther arms lower
    CMMG kit for the lower
    Magpul stock generic buffer tube with heavy buffer
    Old colt fore grip modified to fit gas piston rod
    Mid level scope that was laying around unemployed
    Shoots great but if you added it all up parts would cost more than buying a good one. Still not really a build more like assemble .
    Here is what can happen when an AR upper is messed with with out proper blocks being used. extreme case
    101_5100.JPG
    I want to assemble one myself because I'd have a better understanding of how my gun works and how to better diagnose and repair any problems that may arise. Plus I think it would be a fun project, I would have customised hand pick components, and from I hear from everyone else, it's a less expensive wrought to take compared to buying one pre built.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    I want to assemble one myself because I'd have a better understanding of how my gun works and how to better diagnose and repair any problems that may arise. Plus I think it would be a fun project, I would have customised hand pick components, and from I hear from everyone else, it's a less expensive wrought to take compared to buying one pre built.
    It is fun to do and you will learn more buy doing it. However, it is not cheaper than buying a complete rifle.

As a nube I suggest buying a stripped lower and a lower parts kit. Building a lower is easy and it will help you learn. Then I suggest you buy a complete upper for a top shelf manufacturer and slap it on your lower.

Links:

Complete PSA AR15 Lower - Classic Edition - No Magazine - Receivers - Firearms <----on sale today only $200!

PSA AR15 Lower - Receivers - Firearms

Palmetto State Armory Premium Classic Lower Build Kit - Lower Parts - AR-15

Today it's actually more expensive to buy parts by about $50
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Lead Moderator
    AR15.com has great step by step videos , choosing what you want is harder. Maybe browse a few manufacturers and pick a model that you like, then assemble one to match?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Welcome to the DC Forum! I think most people are better served buying a complete AR for their first one. Smitty 901 gave some good advice on using the proper tools and equipment if you assemble yourself. As a side note if you decide you don't like AR's a complete AR from a reputable maker will have better resale than a frankengun. Good luck!
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Thanks all for the suggestion...

I have decided take the advice to just buy one... That is if I can find one that's in stock and not overly marked up which is starting to be a bit of a chore...

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Walmarts around here have most of the AR's in stock at reasonable prices. Colt 6920 for $1097. Windhams were about $850. Even the local Ace Hardware had a decent selection of AR's. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Buy a mini 14 and you don't have to worry about diagnosing problems for repair.
    The only downside is mag prices.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Good luck OP, AR's are starting to show up here in communist Colorado, so if we have 'em, you should
    be able to locate one...I've seen Bushmasters & Stag's for $900 to $1100 at local stores
    R.M.G.O.-Member
    NRA-Life Member

Administrator
    CLICK THIS VIDEO FIRST & then go to howtobuildanar15.com for the full series and call Brownell's and request a catalog while you're at it.
    Good Luck with your build.

One advantage of buying from Brownell's is that if you WHOOPS! and buy the wrong part or even if you goof and mess a mess a part up you can return it for a replacement or get a full "no questions asked" refund.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

many mango seasons ago i use to build them. building a ar rifle is fun and it gets in your blood. i say building, not buying most of the rifle all ready put together and you put the upper on the lower. i got all the proper tools, punches, head space gauges, tork wrench, and blocks to build. i would get all the parts, one part at a time. a barrel here, a front sight there, etc... mix and match parts. rra upper, colt lower, bushmaster barrel, and any and other named part i could find. sometimes i could find all the parts to make a rifle will all matching names. the last three years i look to buy the parts cheap trying to keep the complete build under $500.00. last week i did several builds for a friend and his son. they took about a year to round up all the parts, so they got about $800.00 plus in each rifle. they wants the same name on all major parts. the big problem is the parts price has gone sky high. also most parts are hard to find and/or on back order. the price of a ar has come down under 1k. there are reports that wal mart have them back in stock for around $800.00. so by the time you get the proper tools and parts together you can buy a rifle for what you have into your build. some will tell you you don't need the proper tools, but when you break the ears off a lower trying to hammer a roll pin in, jb wield will not fix it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links