Weakness for 10/22s

Weakness for 10/22s

This is a discussion on Weakness for 10/22s within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at Wal-Mart last night and noticed a new addition in the gun cabinet. Right behind the 10/22 (blue barrel/wood stock) that's always on ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Weakness for 10/22s

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Weakness for 10/22s

I was at Wal-Mart last night and noticed a new addition in the gun cabinet. Right behind the 10/22 (blue barrel/wood stock) that's always on display, there was another one. This one had a stainless barrel and a black synthetic stock. The price tag hanging off of the carbine listed, $254.00.

I don't know why but this tempted me. I have a 10/22 that looks like a new one. It has never given me an ounce of trouble and yet, whenever I see another 10/22 on display, I'm almost always tempted to get another one. Now mind you, I don't need another one - I do well to shoot the one I have. I'm completely satisfied with the one I have so there's no discontent. I just think the 10/22 is one of the best bang-for-your-bucks out there. It almost feels wrong to go on and not pick one up when they are at such a good price. I keep thinking, its always good to have a back-up and there will be a day when you won't be able to get them for this price anymore. And do you know what's even more crazy? If I'm not mistaken, my mom picked up the one I have today for about $160 (back in the 90s)? So even though 10/22s seem to be relatively inexpensive, they used to be even cheaper! I'm sure you guys have one that's older than mine and paid even less for it. If so, please feel free to share your story, I'd love to hear about it.

I really don't have anymore to add. I just wanted to share my experience and perhaps you have similar feelings/thoughts about it as well. One of these days, I'll take a pic of mine and post it here. If there's not already a 10/22 pic thread, maybe I'll be the one to start one, who knows?

Thanks for listening and I'd be interested to hear your comments.

Thanks,
    DCG
    QKShooter likes this.

...I've always wanted an International model in stainless...and I'd love a takedown in stainless...but I miss the old models with metal trigger guards, iron sights...they keep on "improving" an already perfect design...

well allow me to post pics of my wife's 10/222013-04-18 15.42.51.jpg2013-04-18 15.43.01.jpg
    QKShooter and miller_man like this.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

...Mary Kay Achievement award??? talk about CUSTOM!!!
    bigmacque and Sister like this.

Thanks, I took a regular old wood stock, striped it, chopped it to her desired length of pull, painted it, stenciled it (still not sure why she chose Abby), added layers of super hard clear urethane, took the synthetic stock off the new one, added the shoulder saver, added the red/green dot sight, got her 5 25 round mags. All to get her to go shooting more often with me.
    DefConGun, BamaT and Sister like this.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

...I'd go ANY color to get my wife to do that...well done...is that sight one that throws a dot out there for quick sighing? back in the 70s I had one on a shotgun...a Weaver Quik-Point*, if I remember...how accurate is that at about 30 yards?

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKn-jx6d2aY
    ...does your sight project a dot like this one?
    bigmacque likes this.

it is an NCstar (el cheapo) its not too bad the real problem it that it about 1 inch between the ironsights and the "dot" so the further out you go the more off it gets, I have it zeroed in at about 50 feet (length of our usual range).

...Iron sights ain't what they used to be....COULDN'T be my eyes, of course...may try one...thanks...

no problem. it is similar to that just a dot nothing fancy. think i paid $20 for it

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I also have a ruger 10/22, never a problem. its older wood stock been years ago cant remember the price. I know it was a lot less than 254.00

Weakness for 10/22s? I guess that what you'd call it... I have 5 of 'em.

#1 got a Hogue stock, a 20" GM bull barrel and a trigger job, and a modest scope. Shooting 4 positions at an Appleseed event, I tired of its front-heaviness and decided to 'build' another.

#2 began as just a new receiver (plastic trigger housing, actually an improvement over the metal ones). This one got an 18" fluted bull barrel, a trigger job, a take-off Sporter stock (decent checkering), a full action bedding, Tac-Sol mag release and a really crisp Bushnell scope. This one's a tack driver. 3/8" groups at 50 yards with nothing-special ammo.

#3 came about because I liked the Garand-style Tech sights for Appleseed use. The gun is stock except for the Tech sights, trigger job, improved mag release and a sling.

#4 - well, this one's more involved. I started shooting a "tactical" .22 match at my club and wanted to dedicate a 10/22 for that purpose. So I won a used one on GunBroker, turns out the seller was a local pawn shop. When we did the paperwork, the clerk said, "gee - that's a low serial number." Sure was - from the first year of production. It has a real walnut Overton stock, and no ugly roll-marked lawyerese on the barrel. So I cleaned it up, refinished the stock, and gave it some modest trigger work. It's a good shooter, but I'll just hang onto it for historical purposes.

#5 is what #4 was supposed to be. Another GunBroker 'find', this was a Sporter model that had been rode hard and put up wet. But for the tac game, reliability and speed trump accuracy so this one has the stock barrel, but a lot of action and trigger work. I've experimented with scopes and a red dot, and so far the scopes are winning. The red dot is great for the close, speed stages, but there's always a stage with 100-yard shots and 4-inch targets at 50 yards and the RDS just won't cut it for those.

Heaven only knows what #6 will be...
    DefConGun, srings, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Only one cure - (sorry, computer hates me, cannot upload 1.01m jpg from file or 375 from url). you will have to do look

10/22 Gatling Gun Kit - 862723, Replacement Parts at Sportsman's Guide

YES. A crank gatling using twin 10/22 for the inards . 200 rounds per minute actual with twin 50 round drums. Who needs a bulls eye, just chew up the whole target. And they sell the kit for around $400, 10/22's not included.
    Attached Images

I was never taken with the 10/22, having quickly traded the onces I have owned. I am one of the weird people who prefer a tube fed gun, and have found that both my Henry 01 and Nylon 66 not only have better triggers out of the box, but possess more accuracy with more varying assortments of ammo as well.
    Stevew likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I own 4 10/22's. love them. We shoot a lot of ground squirrels and have a lot of fun doing it ( good point of my job). I have with a Houge stock, Volquartson barrel and triggers. One rides in my pick up the other in my son's truck. Had to replace the barrel on mine this year after 30,000 or so rounds( lost the exact count along the way). Have a soft spot for 10/22's. like Timex said " they take a licken and keep on shooten". Well, something like that. Got another stock one except for the trigger and the AR styled one because, well just because.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbiggart View Post
    Only one cure - (sorry, computer hates me, cannot upload 1.01m jpg from file or 375 from url). you will have to do look

10/22 Gatling Gun Kit - 862723, Replacement Parts at Sportsman's Guide

YES. A crank gatling using twin 10/22 for the inards . 200 rounds per minute actual with twin 50 round drums. Who needs a bulls eye, just chew up the whole target. And they sell the kit for around $400, 10/22's not included.
    That would be fun if 22 ammo price were not up.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links