New Ar 15

New Ar 15

This is a discussion on New Ar 15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im in the market for a new ar and sense this is my first one and not many places have them. I was wondering what ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By sammage
  • 2 Post By sparkykb
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr

Thread: New Ar 15

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar

New Ar 15

Im in the market for a new ar and sense this is my first one and not many places have them. I was wondering what is a decent one to buy for around 1000
    dpms has a couple at bass pro and another brand I dident recognize wall mart has some but whats a good brand to look for at a reasonable price.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    In no particular order
    Daniel Defensive (OK, it is first because I have one)
    Colt
    LMT
    Bravo

Then read this:
    So you want to buy an AR

And then be prepared to spend a bit more.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I recently got a Colt AR6721 from a gunbroker seller for $1100 NIB. Shop around and you can do far better than a $1000 DPMS rifle. Any of the brands recommended by ExactlyMyPoint will serve you very well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewsman View Post
    Im in the market for a new ar and sense this is my first one and not many places have them. I was wondering what is a decent one to buy for around 1000
    dpms has a couple at bass pro and another brand I dident recognize wall mart has some but whats a good brand to look for at a reasonable price.
    DPMS is not very good. I consider them the very bottom of the barrel. If you want a GREAT gun look at Colt, BCM, Noveske, LMT or Daniel Defense.

If you want a GOOD gun at a GREAT price then I suggest PSA (Palmetto State armory). PSA makes a very solid product and they frequently have sales. Just last week I could have purchased a complete flat top AR with a Midwest Industries free float rail for $734.97 delivered (FFL fee included).

Take your time and look PSA over. They had lowers on sale yesterday for $199.99 + $15 shipping plus your FFL fee. <---- That's DANG cheap.

I'd post more but I gotta go right now.

Goodnight all.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Daniels Defense. $1,600 locally, but they have them. Id consider them the best, though a couple of others up there.
    BCM (Bravo Co)
    Spikes

I have a higher end S&W M&P, and its a very good weapon.

Btw, there are plenty of ARs out there. Our local walmart (TN) has 4 different models in stock, and the LGS are full. DPMS ...well you can do lots better than those for the same money.

Me, and most others are listing the best. They cost more, of course.

If you are looking in the DPMS range, I think you would do MUCH BETTER to check out Palmetto State Armory (look at them online). They have a growing reputation for quality builds and parts, for still a good price.

I am not an AR guy but these seem to be popular in the Mid West.
    They do make a nice looking weapon.
    CMMG

Find a Walmart nearby, one of my local ones had a Magpul edition Colt 6920 for $1124.
    atctimmy and Brass63 like this.

VIP Member
    If you are on a tight budget Cabela's puts this DPMS on sale all the time (I think the mark it down $100) DPMS T.E.K. Rifle Package : Cabela's It comes with 4 mags and a Gerber Bear Gryllis survival kit.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Very hard to go wrong with a Colt 6920 as a first AR. Can be had for right around 1000 bucks (at Walmart even!) and nobody is going to argue whether or not it's a good carbine. Avoid no names and "gun store specials" cobbled together in house. There is no reason to buy a DPMS or Bushmaster when a Colt can be purchased for the same price or even less sometimes!

Buy a 6920. Shoot it. Change what you feel needs changed. If you start out shooting it...or catch the bug....you have an excuse to drop more money on another one!
    remington79 and atctimmy like this.

The LE 6920 is the way to go. Also go to M4Carbine.net If you look up my posts I have some links I posted about ARs.

VIP Member
    OP I think the big thing is to do your homework. The problem with ARs is that, unless you know what's what, it's easy for pretenders to hide as contenders. DPMS and Bushmaster are bottom feeders but often cost just as much as a good maker.

Just so we are on the same page, I'm not saying you need to spend a boatload to get a good gun. I'm saying that if you do your homework you can get a good gun for the same amount of money that they were asking for the DPMS.

I'd start with a complete lower from PSA (as I posted above). I've seen them twice this month on sale for $199.99 +$15 shipping to your FFL. They are on sale right now!

Complete PSA AR15 Lower - Classic Edition - No Magazine

You don't have an FFL? Read this:

How to find a local FFL

FFLs should only charge about $20 or $25. If someone wants to charge more than $25 then find someone else. FFLs are a dime a dozen so find someone who is easy to work with and doesn't charge too much.

Once you have a decent lower you can shop any of the big names and get your upper. PSA sells a boat load of them and uppers get shipped to your door, not to your FFL. Just remember to wait for a sale. Also, many uppers are sold without a charging handle and BCG. Make sure you read up before you buy one.

All you need to do to instal an upper on a lower is sit it on top and push in two retaining pins. It's easier to do than field stripping a Glock.

Lastly you can buy a whole rifle. This rifle is on sale and comes with a $400 optic on top and a $150 free float rail. <--- You cannot beat that deal!

PSA 16'' PA-15 HF SS12G2 Carbine

If you don't like the Aimpoint you can sell it for about $400. That leaves you with a nice AR15 for $679.99 + $15 shipping and +$20 for the FFL.

Get some!
    StormRhydr likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

No one has said anything I would disagree with.

Daniel defense, colt, bravo company, and PSA all make great rifles.

I recommend buying a flat top upper with a decent free float rail and then go from there.

Try to buy from reputable dealers as there are plenty of cheap knockoffs floating around when it comes to parts.

VIP Member
    Well OP, what are you thinking now? Any new ideas?

Thats one darn fine post. I wish I could "Double like it", lol
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OP I think the big thing is to do your homework. The problem with ARs is that, unless you know what's what, it's easy for pretenders to hide as contenders. DPMS and Bushmaster are bottom feeders but often cost just as much as a good maker.

Just so we are on the same page, I'm not saying you need to spend a boatload to get a good gun. I'm saying that if you do your homework you can get a good gun for the same amount of money that they were asking for the DPMS.

I'd start with a complete lower from PSA (as I posted above). I've seen them twice this month on sale for $199.99 +$15 shipping to your FFL. They are on sale right now!

Complete PSA AR15 Lower - Classic Edition - No Magazine

You don't have an FFL? Read this:

How to find a local FFL

FFLs should only charge about $20 or $25. If someone wants to charge more than $25 then find someone else. FFLs are a dime a dozen so find someone who is easy to work with and doesn't charge too much.

Once you have a decent lower you can shop any of the big names and get your upper. PSA sells a boat load of them and uppers get shipped to your door, not to your FFL. Just remember to wait for a sale. Also, many uppers are sold without a charging handle and BCG. Make sure you read up before you buy one.

All you need to do to instal an upper on a lower is sit it on top and push in two retaining pins. It's easier to do than field stripping a Glock.

Lastly you can buy a whole rifle. This rifle is on sale and comes with a $400 optic on top and a $150 free float rail. <--- You cannot beat that deal!

PSA 16'' PA-15 HF SS12G2 Carbine

If you don't like the Aimpoint you can sell it for about $400. That leaves you with a nice AR15 for $679.99 + $15 shipping and +$20 for the FFL.

Get some!
    atctimmy likes this.

Sponsored Links