Any advantages to Chrome bolt carrier group?

This is a discussion on Any advantages to Chrome bolt carrier group? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Are there any advantages to replacing the factory bolt carrier group with a chrome bcg other than just looks?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any advantages to Chrome bolt carrier group?

Are there any advantages to replacing the factory bolt carrier group with a chrome bcg other than just looks?
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

No.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My understanding is they are easier to clean.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Senior Moderator
    I can't say this is true for the bolt carrier, but there is a tendency for AR guys to extoll features of an AR that make them the 'best', etc.

Most of these 'best' setups are significantly more expensive, and to most of us, we couldn't shoot our ARs enough to see a difference. If we were going to war, dropping and dragging our ARs through sand and mud, etc. maybe, maybe, we would see a difference.

I have two Diamondback ARs and they have a Shot-Peened, Magnetic Particle Inspected Mil Spec 8620 carrier. I'm perfectly happy with that.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    My understanding is they are easier to clean.
    I have run them both ways and agree. Chrome is much easier to clean.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Chrome parts will have a little more resistance to corrosion, but regular cleaning and oiling will work as well. As far as accuracy or performance, there is likely no difference.
    Last edited by Yoda; July 15th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
    Tangle likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Rifles used by the military don't have chromed carriers do they???

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I can't say this is true for the bolt carrier, but there is a tendency for AR guys to extoll features of an AR that make them the 'best', etc.

Most of these 'best' setups are significantly more expensive, and to most of us, we couldn't shoot our ARs enough to see a difference. If we were going to war, dropping and dragging our ARs through sand and mud, etc. maybe, maybe, we would see a difference.

I have two Diamondback ARs and they have a Shot-Peened, Magnetic Particle Inspected Mil Spec 8620 carrier. I'm perfectly happy with that.
    How are you liking the DB15 that Diamondback sells? I just saw one at Walmart and it was a nice looking rifle, but I was hesitant to jump for it simple because they are a relatively new company. Went with a piecemeal build instead.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Administrator
    I do know quite a bit about general Hard Chrome plating. It does add surface hardness and so does cut down on friction.
    Chrome is also a microcracked finish so it is possible to have rusting develop under a Chrome surface coat.

Not really an issue in this case because it's an area that always has traces of lubrication.

Hydrogen embrittlement is not really an issue these days with modern industrial Hard Chrome.

Actually for this application Electroless Nickel would probably be superior to Chrome or a Chrome flash coat over Electroless Nickel would also be great.

Would Chrome be necessary? No. But, it would tend to reduce friction a bit and it does clean up easily.
    Rock and Glock and poppy37 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Rifles used by the military don't have chromed carriers do they???
    When I was in (1974-1981), some did, some did not.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Makes them go faster like putting chrome valve covers on a V-6 1982 Camaro!

Looks pretty, easier cleaning, some corrosion resistance. The value of each I think is subjective. I don't think it is worth the money myself.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Administrator
    If anybody wants to really spend the $$$ you could have everything coated in super-duper NICKEL BORON and then never lubricate anything ever again.
    Bad Bob likes this.

I've owned standard, chrome, and Nickle Boron BCG's. the only advantage I noticed was easier cleaning with the chrome and Nickle Boron.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    How are you liking the DB15 that Diamondback sells? I just saw one at Walmart and it was a nice looking rifle, but I was hesitant to jump for it simple because they are a relatively new company. Went with a piecemeal build instead.
    So far I'm thrilled with them. I traded for two at different times. The first one was so accurate, when I saw a DB with the heavier barrel, I did some trading for it. They both are tack drivers and have been very reliable but I haven't got a lot of rounds through them yet.

Both have Geiselle triggers now (I added those). The one with the standard barrel has a SG2, the heavy barrel has a SSA-E. They appear to be a bit lighter than most ARs. I've actually weighed them at 6.5 lbs.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Glad to hear! I may have to consider them in the future.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links