New AR build

This is a discussion on New AR build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just ordered the parts for a new AR. The gun will feature a BCM lightweight mid-length 16" upper ($459), a PSA complete lower ($199), and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fausty
  • 1 Post By g17freak

Thread: New AR build

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

New AR build

Just ordered the parts for a new AR. The gun will feature a BCM lightweight mid-length 16" upper ($459), a PSA complete lower ($199), and a PSA BCG ($179). Tapered classic hand grips and charging handle will come from RRA. Took a while to find everything in stock, but I am excited about the build. Total cost is about $905 with shipping. A little high with the current market but not too bad considering it's still less than every AR currently at my local Walmart. Will post pics in a couple weeks.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

No BCM bcg to go with the upper? Bummer. I got lucky playing the "email me when this item is in stock" game on my build. I love it.
    Popeye5782 likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    No BCM bcg to go with the upper? Bummer. I got lucky playing the "email me when this item is in stock" game on my build. I love it.
    Totally. I wish I could have, but I haven't been able to find a BCM BCG for a while now. The PSA's have a good rep and I have never heard anything bad about their quality so I think it should be ok.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Yes, my rifle is PSA with a B.C. bcg and ambi handle. I like PSA a lot. I plan on buying another bcg when I can for a .300blk build.

gandrtactical had bcm bcg's in stock last time i checked
    atctimmy likes this.

Lol they didn't when I got my PSA, but they are in now. That's annoying.

Indeed.

Did you shoot it yet? If you didn't you could probably throw it up on armslist for what you paid for it. The bolt that is.

Already ordered the BCG from BCM that the other poster showed me available from G&R. Once I get all the parts in I will decide if I want to keep the PSA BCG as a spare or return/sell it.

Gotcha. Good call. I am not sure about PSA's return policy, I am pretty sure there is at least a 10% restocking fee. You could always oil it up and put it away for when the next panic buy hits. Because you know it will. They went for upwards of $400 last time.

Good deal man! I'd keep it! You never know when you might need it!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Congrats on the build. ;-) I'll look forward to seeing the pics when you post them.

What are you going to do about sights? Are you going to put any BUISs on or put something like a red dot or scope on it?

Take care,
    DCG

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post

What are you going to do about sights? Are you going to put any BUISs on or put something like a red dot or scope on it?

Take care,
    DCG
    Well, honestly, I am not sure what type of optics this gun will get. I already have some Magpul BUIS's kicking around, so a rear MBUS is definitely in this guns future. Optic's wise I would like to go with something that will work relatively well at close range and great at mid range. My initial thought was a Nikon P-223 fixed 3x (already have one on a .223 bolt gun, love the size and features), but nothing is set in stone. Cost is a factor, but willing to save up if need be.

I have a Vortex Strikefire. It's the $180 aimpoint. Lifetime warranty. Get some.

Amazon.com: Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot Scope for AR15 SF-BR-AR15: Sports & Outdoors

Make sure you get the "Bright Red" version. Denoted by the "BR" in the model number.

^ Looks like a decent scope for the money, seems to get great reviews. Probably won't buy one for a while though. Got the PSA BCG in, and while it does have an "MPI" marked bolt and chrome lined gas key, the carrier does not appear to be chrome lined, something they claimed would be. Not a big deal, just a little disappointing in PSA.

Links