I think I need a rifle.

This is a discussion on I think I need a rifle. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, first the only rifle I own is a rifle I built out of a Mauser that resembles Cooper's "Scout Rifle". I am not a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I need a rifle.

VIP Member

I think I need a rifle.

OK, first the only rifle I own is a rifle I built out of a Mauser that resembles Cooper's "Scout Rifle". I am not a hunter, so I don't feel the need to have long guns around much of the time. I did the scout just for the fun of it, no real though process behind it.

However, as I think more about it, I think a long gun may be needed. Since I won't ever shoot it much, and would only really turn to it in a real SHTF situation, I don't feel the need to go drop a ton of money on some pretty AR (as much as I would like to have one around just for nostalgia's sake). So, I have been looking at differen possibilities. One good idea seems to be the SKS. THe more I look into it, the more I like it. It seems easy enough to make them accept AK type mags, and even easy to find them that already do. The WASR-10 falls into the sam category. I've thought about an AK, but around here all I can find are Rominian models that aren't in very good shape and retail for what I see people buying new AKs for in internet posts. I guess my question is what would you suggest? Am I missing something in these rifles that would make them unacceptable? Am I missing a rifle that would fit well into these groups?

Assuming the SHTF situation doesn't happen in the next 18 months or so, I will be in a position to buy whatever I want. But, grad school tuition eats much of the money I might otherwise spend on a toy- so I am looking to be frugal while getting the mission accomplished.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

OK First?...

It's not if, but when TSHTF...hopefully we still have a few months, years, whatever...

I have made predictions, along with my H.S. students...various topics, but I have stated that I think we will be hit with something MAJOR before the end of this calendar year...we'll see!

I'm not really in a position to buy, buy, buy, either...oh, maybe a little!

That's why I'm getting a BushMaster in a week or two. I have also completed our purchase of water, food, gas, lots of ammo and various other supplies...as noted within these threads, (look for it...it was very informative). I have batteries, first aid stuff, camping gear, and lots of other stuff all in one place and organized, ability to cook and live without electric, a ton of supplies, most things listed right here in this forum.

In summation, get what you need now. If it's an AR, do it...go into a little debt, sell two of your kids, whatever it takes...I don't think you'll be sorry. Unless, you don't get much for the kids...(kidding, of course). Get something to 'reach out and touch someone' if the need should arise.

If nothing happens, I'll have my guns and plenty of food to balance the weekly food bill for quite a while.

Stay safe...plan ahead!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    Let's say - get an SKS first It will cost you so little as not make a big dent in your pocket book.

Once that is with you - keep looking for an AK clone - there are many and you can find good ones, just gotta be patient.

I bought my SAR1 new several years ago and apart from the trigger slap I still intend to cure (meantime have silicon tube on trigger!) - it serves well - VERY well

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95...

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Let's say - get an SKS first It will cost you so little as not make a big dent in your pocket book.

Once that is with you - keep looking for an AK clone - there are many and you can find good ones, just gotta be patient.

I bought my SAR1 new several years ago and apart from the trigger slap I still intend to cure (meantime have silicon tube on trigger!) - it serves well - VERY well

Is that a picture of 'A' weapon...or a picture of 'YOUR' weapon?

Just curious...very nice either way...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Your already on the right track for a rifle that wil fit your needs, I just wanted to say that I think you need a rifle too.

VIP Member
    retsupt, I agree that is a matter of when the SHTF. But, I think we disagree about when it is coming. It could happen tomorrow, but I just don't think that will happen. Something big could happen, but I don't see it being a situation where I am engaging the enemy at this point. That said, I am well prepared to shelter in place or bug out. I have the water, foods, ammunition for my handguns, first aid supplies, etc.

I'd like to buy the AR, but going into debt isn't something I think is a good idea. I'm a grad student as is my girlfriend (getting married in June) and she is starting med school in August. I have enough to pay for without buying the AR at this point. Like I said, in about 18 months after graduation, a move, and some time getting settled into a new job I won't have a problem. But, it just doesn't make sense at this moment. All that said, I look forward to finding the post you were talking about but I am sure it will take me some time because the search feature doesn't like me too much.

P95, that is a great looking AK clone. I've never seen an SAR1, but it looks great. I'll add that to the "something to watch for" list.

Sixto, I'm glad you agree. I'm not sure how well a bolt action rifle would fill all of the roles of a rifle. Looking back, I think it would have been better to pick the combat style rifle first.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Better to have a bolt gun than no rifle at all.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

I'm like you. A college student living on a pretty tight budget. Nothing horrible, but hard to use up a large sum of money for something like an AR-15. That being said, I broke my standards a little bit and bought one. Put it on the 'ole visa. I did some thinking and decided I'd be willing to eat mac and cheese for a couple weeks, and have the rifle I wanted now. Too many weird things going on in this world not to have a defensive rifle. if you really want the AR-15, get it. tell your girl friend she can buy something she really wants, then call it quits for christmas
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

VIP Member
    Good idea, other than the fact I've already dropped the cash on her Christmas present. Should have bought a rifle instead of the ring I think .
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Assistant Administrator
    Is that a picture of 'A' weapon...or a picture of 'YOUR' weapon?
    Ken - it is one of many - but does like all ''have its place''.

From choice tho I'd actually grab the FAL before the AK much of the time - but for folks saving to buy first rifles with limited means and wanting some versatility, is why I put the AK in the frame.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm more a traditionalist when it comes to long arms preference.
    I keep a .22 LR for food producing and what not.
    ----
    But for a survivalist rifle, I'll take the .22 magnum.
    I have a lil' Taurus pump (it used to be the old Rossi model) .22 mag. rifle
    The rifle is small and lite-weight. It breaks down in two pieces.
    There is no magazine to lose. You load the tube under the barrel.
    I believe it holds 14 rounds. The ammo may be small, but you can carry more of it. Just as convienient to find as .22LR. in stores.
    It can bring down big game, 4 legged or else.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Buy a Marlin 336 in .30-30 used. You can find them in gun shops, pawn shops and gun shows for $300 or less. After deer season, they should be plentiful. In fact, you can get them at Academy and a few other places new for just over $300. It isn't as sexy as an AR or AK, won't shoot quite as fast, but still pretty fast, doesn't have as big of a magazine and isn't as expensive. They are fully reliable having a long history of use, accurate, easy to put a scope or red dot on, easy to get parts for, ammo is available all over at good prices and at least in the next 2 years and probably a lot longer, they won't be banned and seized. If you decide to take up deer hunting, it is a terrific deer rifle. Plus it doesn't look like a "dangerous assault rifle" despite being just about as effective. In a SHTF situation, that may make the difference between the police confiscating your rifle and not confiscating your rifle.

Just make sure you take a good look at the barrel and action before buying if you buy used.

If You feel you need a good rifle, I agree you can't go wrong with a lever action. NIB Marlin 1894 run from 300-400. Push come to shove if they make a new assault weapon ban not likely to confiscate lever action for awile . Then if You can find on buy an AK clone.

VIP Member
    A lever action sounds like a good idea. But, I don't know why I would get one when I already have a bolt action rifle. It serves about the same purpose as a lever action, is just a little slower, and is more powerful. The only place where the .30-30 would have a huge advantage over the quasi-scout rifle I own now is in the price of ammo.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The SKS sounds like a good bet for you, but I'd stay away from the aftermarket detachable mags. For one thing you may run into legal issues, and secondly, they tend to be hit-or-miss for reliability.

Get a bunch of stripper clips and load them up if you go this route.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links